PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sturgeon King

Reel Fun
04-14-2011, 02:42 PM
I saw where Rich Tipton died recently.....He was the best Sturgeon Guide ever to live!!! I think every sturgeon guide out there learned a thing or two from the master......RIP RICH!!!

RF

doneli
04-14-2011, 03:10 PM
sorry to hear about that...yes rich tipton was named "the sturgeon king" for a reason..here at the fish sniffers he left a lot of knowledge..RIP

FishWisher
04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
The only community who won't miss Rich will be the sturgeon themselves. A good guy and a good contributor to fishing forums - and I appreciated his gnarly attitude regarding a lot of the nonsense that fisherman have to put up with here in Kalifornistan.

RIP Rich.

jameswho
04-14-2011, 07:24 PM
R.i.p. sturgeon king, never got to know him in person. But did learn alot from his articles..

fisherman4Ever
04-15-2011, 07:48 AM
I saw where Rich Tipton died recently.....He was the best Sturgeon Guide ever to live!!! I think every sturgeon guide out there learned a thing or two from the master......RIP RICH!!!

RF
You saw where he died? So he died while fishing? Anyways RIP Sturgeon King.

FishWisher
04-15-2011, 08:03 AM
You saw where he died? So he died while fishing? Anyways RIP Sturgeon King.

It would be good to know some details of his passing. It's been a long time since I've seen a post from Rich, and my take is that he sold his guide business to Kevin some time ago (?), but don't know that for a fact.

Can anyone enlighten us??

Fishbucket
04-15-2011, 10:43 AM
Leonard Richard Tipton Jr. | PressDemocrat.com (http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20110413/ARTICLES/110419776/1052/obits?p=1&tc=pg)

kromebrite
04-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Only 68. I remember when he had Lucky Strike going full on.

Is Kevin still up and running? I do not see any ads or reports anywhere from him.

FishWisher
04-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks, Fishbucket. Glad you posted that.

nhbfishin
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Dale you are absolutely right. Rich was an awesome angler,a good teacher,friend and activist he was a voice for sturgeon anglers when the DFG was attempting to place strict guidelines for fishing. He always voiced that the DFG was under staffed and should not penalize law abiding anglers but instead step up efforts to catch poachers. He once told me he wanted to live long enough to take my Daughter fishing but he did not. Rich tutored countless anglers learning how to fish for Sturgeon and relished the sight of somebody hooking into one for the first time. He will be truly missed. R.I.P Rich and thank you for all your contributions!

Reel Fun
04-16-2011, 10:02 AM
Kevin bought his guide service and carried it on up until about a year and a half ago. I dont know where Kevin is today the last time I saw him he was working at a sporting shop in Vacaville (guns n other stuff??) He said the owner of the shop that he worked at had a big boat and he was gonna guide through the shop? I have not seen him lately? I met Rich only once in person on the water and he was very helpful to me and we never met me prior!!! Kevin told me the only reason he sold his business was because of health issues. Hopefully Kevin will surface again soon...I know he sold the Albin.

RF

Miner_Moe
04-16-2011, 05:18 PM
At this moment I,m Floored and Very deeply sadden to hear of my Friends passing...He was a hell of a Guide and one of the finest men I will ever know! My condolences to his wife Vicky,who use to keep us fed with her awesome breakfest burritos when we were bumping boats with each other at Indian Valley fishing the same school of monster kokes...He was one of the good ones and there are not many of them around...