PDA

View Full Version : Baits for Lingcod?

FishingTone
03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
I know it legal to use smelt and mackerel for baits when fishing for Lingcod, but can you use other Rock fish or king fish to fish for Lingcod? I have seen other use black and blue rockfish to fish for lingcod but I donít dare to b/c I didnít know if the regulation allows you or not. I been searching the 2007 salt water regulation but canít find anything on this matter. Can anyone please tell me if it legal to use other Rockies as baits?

thanks in advance!

Tone

Jan_from_Humboldt
03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Sand dabs are good

fishhogg
03-08-2007, 04:50 PM
bait fish is ok, rockfish isnt, unless you are within your limit. i know everyone does it, blues an green ling work great, but theres a fine line... legally, u catch a fish you are allowed to "release" it as long as it is in good health.. Otherwise counts as part of ur limit. Now to catch 9 r.f an 1 is bait, not an issue.. just make sure ur not over limit on rf, and the rf are caught from shore...
hope that helps

krzyfshrmn
03-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I think there are better baits to use for Lings then smaller Rockfish. Jacksmelt, Sand Dabs, Mackeral and octopus are all great baits for Lings.

fishenrick
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
* *I think there are better baits to use for Lings then smaller Rockfish. Jacksmelt, Sand Dabs, Mackeral and octopus are all great baits for Lings.

I will second that

Fishenrick

NRJohn
03-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Big shiney jig can work better than bait at times. Although I really like using macks. Last time I fished using them the baits just got hammered by the lings. Heard sand dabs are great bait too but have never tried them.

Rusty_Hooks
03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I think there are better baits to use for Lings then smaller Rockfish. Jacksmelt, Sand Dabs, Mackeral and octopus are all great baits for Lings.

Ill third it...Mackrel is my favorite...........without a hesitation ;)

keciga1
03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
A new thing that I'm gonna try this year is Humboldt squid. I cut a few 12x1in strips that I will be putting them on a big jig head and use the squid as a swimbait. Macks, sand dabs, jacksmelt, kingfish, octopus, I've seen some pretty good size octopus pulled out of a lings stomach.

Ivan

donzitroller
03-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Ivan, exactly bro! How many octopii you see lings puke up when they hit the deck? Dang.. sometimes if they spit up a good one send it back down as bait! Just started dabbin last year and am HOOKED! It's fun to make bait, that can be a sport in itself! Have also used jacksmelt with great success..

keciga1
03-08-2007, 10:22 PM
I've done that on a party boat once and ended up pulling a ling not a minute after the octopus hit the bottom.

Ivan

pontoon_crew
03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Big diamond jig smeared up with some good ol Pro Cure!

catfished
03-09-2007, 07:35 AM
When I used to fish for lings and rockfish (many years ago), the only bait better than a baby octopus for lings was 2 baby octopuses! ;D

FishingTone
03-09-2007, 09:00 AM
I normally like to use storm swim baits and jig head with big hammer for lings and I do have great success catching them last year using storm swim baits. The only reason why Iím asking is b/c you know fishing can get slow sometime and live baits would be a good ideas on those slow time. Iím going to buy some octopus at the Asian market to try it out this year since most of you guys think they work well. Thanks everybody for your time and your great suggestion on this matter. Good Luck to all and be safe out there!

Tone

mike22ca
03-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Im gonna have to jump in and say big fat lively macks as well. Sanddab comes in second. Although puked up octopus is great too if you can make it past all the other cod.

Fishbutt21
03-09-2007, 09:56 AM
with the two hook rule I like to tie my own rig with a dropper loop and swivel on the bottom. I put a big storm swimbait on the dropper and a 4-8oz leadhead on the bottom with a jack smelt or mack hooked thru the head so he swims along and just keep the gaff handy ;)

red_dog
03-09-2007, 10:48 AM
A whole squid will work for lings, I caught about 8 in one season from the shore.

Rock_Hopper
03-09-2007, 03:53 PM
To answer the original question - yes you can use RF as bait for lings but (like Fishhogg mentioned) those RF you use as bait count towards your daily possession limit.

FishingTone
03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
That a nice looking ling there Rock_Hopper!
Thanks for clarify that for me!

wmgraphics
03-09-2007, 07:00 PM
The biggest live mack I can catch for the bottom hook with a swivel so he can go round and round and shrimpfly with squid for the top hook. When things get slow, I'll use those Storm swim baits with some Mikes krill sauce. I cast it out away from the boat and usually find all kinds of new success away from the red zone.

Looking forward to this years season, freezer is looking bare.

GCinGV
03-09-2007, 08:06 PM
When I used to fish for lings and rockfish (many years ago), the only bait better than a baby octopus for lings was 2 baby octopuses! ;D
The grown up ones work even better. On my boat if a Ling pukes up a big Octopus we throw the Ling back and fight over the Octopus. A 16 to 24Ē Octo is almost a guarantee of a big Hawg.
The live ones work well but you need to club them or theyíll go into a hole and get hung. This one we caught up near Ross, at 50Ē was a little too big for bait.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/octopus1.JPG
GC

keciga1
03-09-2007, 09:19 PM
That might be big for bait but sure isn't too big for the table. Yum.

Ivan

blue_chrush
03-10-2007, 07:33 AM
last season ano....light tackle, 14lb test, shimmano 2000xl
baits whole squids, sm blue's, and tan/blk rubber eel baits 12" long
and it spit out a 15" octopuss which I fished for an other one too..
this fish was in 30ft and about 200yds off shore...
and for those of you knowing that ano has a closed area this yr..
this fish came north of the island in an open area, and you will
still be able to fish it... piegon pt is a rocks throw north of me

*http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i204/blue_crush_2/other%20fish/fishsniffer.jpg

metalmouth
03-10-2007, 08:51 AM
A link to this thread has been stickied in the FAQ section. This is a great bait discussion. Ummm Octopus! 8-)

gmdcdvm
03-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Down south they like to use whole squid either live or fresh thawed for yellowtail and white sea bass. They catch quite a few incidental ling cod while doing this. Normally they use a large jig head, thread the squid onto the hook, and down it goes.
Sand dabs are also excellent bait, easy to catch, and the best part is they are free. Thats what party boats rely on for ling cod bait. The bonus is they bigger ones make for a really good meal.
I also like to use 9" swim baits and the jig head size depends on the current, up here in the bay area you are usually talking about 6oz-16oz jig heads depending on the current/drift.
Now it looks like I need to try octopus to see how the compare. So far my personnal favorite has been the big swim baits or sand dabs.
Gerry

aintscared
03-11-2007, 01:31 PM
1' or 1.5 ' * of big chrome chain with a large treble hook on it !! ;) I guess that maybe thats not really bait, but they well eat it... *;D Its also cheaper than $12.00 hex bars and is just as effective.. Try it you might like it.. ::) Cabezones like chain aslo, *the biggest ones we've caught have been on it... 9.5 lbs
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5472/giocabvt5.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/8233/giosmallcabao3.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9583/giolingrk2.png (http://imageshack.us)
All Caught on a 1' piece of chrome chain by Uncle G, all the same day

Rock_Hopper
03-12-2007, 06:46 AM
Nice cabs aintscared. You got a pic of that chain set-up? Sounds interesting!

PlugROCKSTAR
03-12-2007, 06:55 AM
A new thing that I'm gonna try this year is Humboldt squid. I cut a few 12x1in strips that I will be putting them on a big jig head and use the squid as a swimbait.

puke[smiley=stretcher.gif]

metalmouth
03-12-2007, 07:24 AM
aintscared, thanks for the idea. I carry about 20 of those on my boat to use as bottom sweepers for my DR wieghts for Mac fishing! I'm there. ;)

MM

aintscared
03-12-2007, 08:12 AM
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/7154/chainjiglb0.png (http://imageshack.us)

this is what it looks like .. sorry about the crude art work but i haven't made any new ones up this year.. the salt takes a toll on them and must be throwin out every year and new ones remade.. Which is ok when you are paying around $3.50 to make one.. ;) *the cool thing about the chain is its got a lot of flash, realistic movement of something alive and the sound it makes as it dropping in and on the rocks..

metalmouth
03-12-2007, 08:14 AM
That's awesome, I buy chain in 100 ft. boxes! ;)

Rock_Hopper
03-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Right on.

Thanks for the illustration. Cool idea!

FishingTone
03-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Aintscared,

Man; that is totally awesome for a lure!!! Whose would thoughts a fish would hit a chrome chain mistaking it for a meal? I would never think that would be possible! I canít believe what Iím seeingÖ..incredible to know how aggressive lingcod are.
I guess my one sample question link to a lot of good stuffs and a bunch of great information on lingcod feeding habit.
Thanks everyone for sharing your experience!!!

Fishbutt21
03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
It is odd to see some of the things a ling will eat,but even scary to have a ling come out from under a rock and try to steal a perch I had just speared right off the end of my gun. that fish even stayed long enough for me to reload and add him to my stringer ;D

sunracer1957
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
While everyone goes to make bait, MM and I should have limits!!! :) 8-) cause we'll beat everyone to the best Ling grounds ;D ;D

MM I have the bait in the freezer buddy, I'll send you some pic's.

Fresh off the ocean and vacumed sealed the same day ;)

Rock_Hopper
03-13-2007, 09:24 AM
It is odd to see some of the things a ling will eat,but even scary to have a ling come out from under a rock and try to steal a perch I had just speared right off the end of my gun. that fish even stayed long enough for me to reload and add him to my stringer ;D

I got a ling jacking story too. This guy tried to snatch an 11" greenling I caught off the Doran Jetty. He too stayed around long enough for me to get a shot off - only I shot him with my camera, not a spear....lol. I had to hop down a few rocks, open my backpack, take my Pelican case out of the backpack, open the case, turn on my camera, and get a shot off, all the while battling the ling with one hand. I finally just pulled the ling's head out of the water a few times and it let go and swam away (lings were closed at the time.)

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/images/dsc01510.jpg

garrett_s
03-15-2007, 05:24 AM
I was fihing for them a couple of years ago. and caught two lingcod on a 5'' fishtrap. that is a great picture.

metalmouth
03-16-2007, 09:20 AM
While everyone goes to make bait, MM and I should have limits!!! :) 8-) cause we'll beat everyone to the best Ling grounds ;D ;D

MM I have the bait in the freezer buddy, I'll send you some pic's.

Fresh off the ocean and vacumed sealed the same day ;)
Yeah Buddy! We definitely got Ling Bait!! ;)

wmgraphics
03-16-2007, 12:32 PM
The same thing happened to us last time we went up to Fort Bragg for a full day of crab, rockfish and ling limits. My girl was reeling up a blue and a HUGE ling came up and started chomping on the little blue at the surface. It was so funny, she started pulling on the pole and yelling at the fish "leave my fish alone you brute", all we could do was laugh! I ran over and told her to let the ling take the bait but all she could say was "No way is he getting my fish!" ha ha too funny. Great day on the water!

GCinGV
03-17-2007, 07:51 AM
The chain jig is a great idea. When I was a kid in San Diego we use to use chain for weight fishing the jetties to help keep from getting hung in the rocks. Tends to slide over the rocks a little better then lead weights.

Iíve always thought of using an old set of car keys with a hook on them just to prove the point that Lings will bite anything. Iíll bet the big Ford and Toyota keys would work really well.
Gary

realdeal
08-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Has anyone tried those glow in the dark diamond jigs? I was wondering if those would increase my chances or are they just a gimmick. Also, what is the best attractant to use, and in what flavor? I usually do fine on regular diamond jigs or live bait, but I was looking to try something new

Fish_R_Us
08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
What about the good 'ole standby - a big fat chrome hex bar. The sound of that thud when it hit's the bottom is irrestible. Especially that first drift down as you are jerk it up after the first impact.

wmgraphics
08-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Do you mean the ones made by strong man, i owned one and lost it fast... big rock ate it up. I don't use that type of jig setup anymore with the single/treble hook hanging directly off the bottom of the lure, WAY too many snags for the price of those puppies.
I bought a bunch of these in 4 oz green and pink for rockfishing and the way the mustad hook is setup no snags. This jig has truely outfished everything in my box for the last two years, they bring in quality and quantity. I just put on a white twin tail and and big strip of mackerel and send er to the bottom.
The company I bought them from is Stuarts Tackle, an ebay store. They will also customize your order weight, color, hooks.

http://stores.ebay.com/Stuart-Stalkers-Tackle

www.whitemountaingraphics.com/fishpicts/Jig.jpg

They came out with a couple new jigs I'm going to try for salmon on the AR and Sacto this fall... that's if they show? :-/

Toxic_Waste
08-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Thanks. I am probably going to order some of those. At first, when I looked at the seller's store, I was a bit taken aback by the $6 shipping cost, but then I noticed that there is no charge for additional items. So, that sorta encourages sales, I guess, but that's OK. Who wants just one of a good lure, anyway?