PDA

View Full Version : Scent???

Jfitalia
04-18-2011, 06:24 PM
I am going on my first trip of the season on 5/1 out of SC and was wondering if any of you trollers use any scent? Its a private boat so we will be using downriggers with hoochies, apex and the normal stuff.

AnglingWes
04-19-2011, 08:55 AM
We use un-scented UV markers on most of our gear for Kings in the Puget Sound. I don't know if it makes any difference, but once you find a setup that works most of the time, its hard to change.

Seas_Candy
04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
I have had good results with either a squid or a krill scent while trolling hoochies.

Jfitalia
04-20-2011, 11:03 AM
I have had good results with either a squid or a krill scent while trolling hoochies.

Awesome thanks! My buddies salmon last week had a squid in its belly

GNappers
04-20-2011, 06:20 PM
We do just fine not using any scent. Our setups are purple haze hoochie with pink/red gum-pucky behind green hot spot/purple haze dodger. Kagiki's behind green hot-spot also do well. Many of our bite's during the first week were on bate, try to find trey's of chovies before you head out, seem pretty expensive around Moss. The anchovie set up is a crippled anchovie (looks like a helmet you shove the bait into) behind a dodger, usually silver. Talked to my buddy and they limited out this past weekend, and there weren't any shakers for them out of Santa Cruz. In the past when somebody used scent it would just make for a slippery/messy deck and with the salt water I doubt it stays on that long.

Jfitalia
04-20-2011, 09:52 PM
We do just fine not using any scent. Our setups are purple haze hoochie with pink/red gum-pucky behind green hot spot/purple haze dodger. Kagiki's behind green hot-spot also do well. Many of our bite's during the first week were on bate, try to find trey's of chovies before you head out, seem pretty expensive around Moss. The anchovie set up is a crippled anchovie (looks like a helmet you shove the bait into) behind a dodger, usually silver. Talked to my buddy and they limited out this past weekend, and there weren't any shakers for them out of Santa Cruz. In the past when somebody used scent it would just make for a slippery/messy deck and with the salt water I doubt it stays on that long.

The bait wont be an issue. My GF and I are going with her dad who owns Sac Pro tackle so he is bringing a few trays

Duckhunter
04-21-2011, 05:29 AM
Yesterday I was using a blue kajiki and just for giggles I dipped the trailer hook in Smelly jelly shrimp scent and it seemed to attract the salmon better. I boated an 11 and 14 pounder doing it. I might continue using it snice it worked so good yesterday.