PDA

View Full Version : What's the Craziest Lure or Bait You've Seen Catch a Trout?

TroutGhost
04-18-2011, 11:52 PM
My dad is a total newb at fishing. I don't know how one can fish for forty years and still not have a clue but there it is, that's the situation.

So we're on the lake and he's getting frustrated at the multiple short strikes and says he wants to sweeten the lure with some worms. I say, no worms but I have some procure scent. He's rolling his eyes. So I say, well... I got some cough-cough-salmon-eggs-cough-cough. His eyes light up.

He grabs the salmon eggs and plugs up every tine of the treble hooks with one or two salmon eggs. That's about ten or so salmon eggs on this bitty little 2-inch lure. He held it aloft, proud of his creation. :smiley_crazy:

I know that sweetening a lure with a bit of worm can increase the hook up rate on an inline spinner, spoon, etc. But man, this dingleberry-rig looked ridiculous. The red egg clusters were thicker than the lure itself. It was sure to ruin the lure's swimming action. I don't know how I kept a straight face. I'm thinking, whatever... he'll learn his lesson the hard way.

So he tosses it out and not a minute passes and BAM, he's got a rainbow trout tail dancing on the water. I'm like, geez... that's a door I didn't want opened. But what could I say? His crazy dingleberry-rig caught a trout. :tongue:

What are some of the zaniest rigs you have seen catch a trout?

Marv
04-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Lol, I knew when I started reading he was gonna catch a fish.
I have told my kids or a friend "what are you doing, thats not gonna work, told yo.... blam I got a fish I got a fish. Then they say I thought you were a fisherman you said it wouldn't work.

SuckerPunch
04-19-2011, 06:36 AM
I've had trout eat plastics and spinnerbaits while fishing for bass and had 'em eat mackerel while fishing for channels - these were all wild fish.

Jfitalia
04-19-2011, 06:54 AM
i caught an 8lber at Lake Irvine on a pro-worm while bass fishing

Fishbucket
04-19-2011, 07:25 AM
I've caught a few on watermellon Gitzits, while pitching for bass.

I tried once to catch trout while trolling with one of those "Raiders" decorated rapala knock-off once... dang thing would'nt run right ( like the raiders :cheesy:)... I think it had 2 eyepatches on. ( like the Raiders ).

:rotfl2:

Captn ofthe Crest
04-19-2011, 07:29 AM
Valveeta Cheese in Mammoth Lake area. Yea, that was Crazy!

AnglingWes
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
I've used a soda can as a dodger/flasher when trolling for Kings in the Puget Sound. Sprite cans work well, and if you stack 2-3 of them a few inches apart, the lure action is pretty erratic.

GUSANO
04-19-2011, 08:58 AM
way back I took a buddy of mine trout fishing and all I had was power bait. He asked if I had any lures and of course I didn't. We continue fishing and he pulls out his juicy fruit gum. pops one in his mouth and start looking through my tackle and fashions the aluminum wrapper around a 1/0 hook and makes it look like a blade as best he could. adds a 12" leader and 1/4oz egg weight. Of course I'm thinkinhg it ain't gonna work.
On his fourth or fifth cast he hooks and pulls in a 2lb trout. :worthy:
~

shaboobiez
04-19-2011, 09:01 AM
caught 5lbers on buzzbaits @pardee before:feiertag-smiley-007

gatorbait
04-19-2011, 11:48 AM
caught 5lbers on buzzbaits @pardee before:feiertag-smiley-007

:cheesy:
While fishing a bass tournament on Camanche I caught a 4 lb trout on a spinner-bait.

Jfitalia
04-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Valveeta Cheese in Mammoth Lake area. Yea, that was Crazy!

Before pb velveeta cheese was a common bait for trout. However it still amazes me that it catches fish

fishingfreak
04-19-2011, 12:25 PM
i have got them on rainbow trout look alike swim bait while fishing for bass at pardee i think it was trying to hump it

Captain Compassion
04-19-2011, 04:54 PM
Velveeta Cheese in Mammoth Lake area. Yea, that was Crazy!
That's not crazy CC. in the 50s and 60s Velveeta Cheese was one of the go to baits for trout. It wasn't until the late 60s that Zeeks appeared on the market to replace it. Always took a box of crackers so I could share it with the trout.

CC

mojo209
04-19-2011, 11:03 PM
I got a nice size trout on anchovies at del valle a while ago, when i find the pics i'll post it up

dpars
04-20-2011, 05:57 AM
I was pitching rubber worms at Folsom, and decided to buzz across the channel to throw into some trees. My worm must have been in the water (maybe 3 feet of line out) and when I stopped, a 16"trout was yanking my pole. I guess the motor doesn't scare some fish.

Marv
04-20-2011, 06:21 AM
I was watching a show on Alaska and they were showing giant rainbows that swim up river to eat the rotten salmon that die after they spawn river bottom and they were catching them on chunks of rancid salmon meat..... Fish are like people, if your starving youll damn near eat anything....

SuckerPunch
04-20-2011, 07:01 AM
That's not crazy CC. in the 50s and 60s Velveeta Cheese was one of the go to baits for trout. It wasn't until the late 60s that Zeeks appeared on the market to replace it. Always took a box of crackers so I could share it with the trout.

CC

Even after Zeke's and PowerBait, I'd still whip out the Velveeta on occasion - since it sinks, it works really well under a float.

buckman78
04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
dont remember the exact situation, but we were camping next to a little river and a buddy had his pole and a hook, but no bait. i wanted to get a little fishin in and took the pole, a hook and a hot dog. put a piece of hotdog on the hook and threw it in a little pool. 5 minutes came back with a trout for lunch.

also my brother was messin around when we were younger with just a bare hook in the water. my dad was past trying to get him to bring it in and put bait on it. my brother was just messin with it 5-10 from shore and an 8 lb striper nailed it. ha, my dad switched to bare hooks the rest of the day....... for no fish.

stpritch
04-20-2011, 10:54 AM
Last month we were fishin the Moke way down river from the dam for striper and something was stealing the sardines, nibblers. So I downsized my hooks, still using dines, and caught a 3 lb rainbow about 5 feet off the little beach we were at!!!

saizo
04-20-2011, 12:10 PM
once below hogan when there used to be trout in there, i got my trout lure snagged in the bush across the river. the snap swivel came unbuttoned and i lost my lure.i got bit while i was reeling in the open snap swivel, produced a 2lb trout. and ive also caught trout on live crawdads while baitfishing for catfish on the moke.

Fishmeister
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM
In my much younger years I took two pennies and twisted them, drilled holes on each side, connected them together with a swivel and put a treble on the end. It acutally worked well for stream trout letting it bounce through the holes until I broke it off on a snag.

HMONG_James_Vang
04-20-2011, 02:31 PM
In my much younger years I took two pennies and twisted them, drilled holes on each side, connected them together with a swivel and put a treble on the end. It acutally worked well for stream trout letting it bounce through the holes until I broke it off on a snag.

"my 2 cents"

Nick145
04-20-2011, 09:23 PM
i caught a little 14in trout on a 1/0 octopus hook baited with old rancid chicken liver fishing for catfish in 67 degree water it was very surprising.

Tight Lines,
Nick145

trout wrangler
04-21-2011, 03:41 AM
I was backpacking in wilderness and came upon a waterfall and droped a gold hook into the middle of it and caught 10 trout on just the hook. Also cought a few trout up at Loon lake about 15 years ago by gluing lady bugs to my hook. When the wind would blow the lady bugs were flying out onto the water. I didn't know what the fish were hitting until I had a few of them land on me. Couldn't get them to hit on anything else. I've always paid close attention to my souroundings ever since.

mark33
04-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Back when marshmallows and crawlers were the go to bait, my father and I ran out of malows, but had the white styrofoam tub for the crawlers, so we cut up the styrofoam into pieces and used them as mallows and caught our limit of 2+ lbs. bows at Lake Isabel in Livermore.

Trickytrucker
04-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Years back I was fishing for trout on the American River at Coloma using salmon eggs and crawlers when I got my limit I went to clean the fish and inside one of them was 2 cigarette butts. Couldn't tell what brand but no I didn't use cigarette butts next time I went trout fishing.

Trickytrucker

Jetspray
04-22-2011, 06:12 AM
Years back I was fishing for trout on the American River at Coloma using salmon eggs and crawlers when I got my limit I went to clean the fish and inside one of them was 2 cigarette butts. Couldn't tell what brand but no I didn't use cigarette butts next time I went trout fishing.

Trickytrucker

That's a clue why most smokers catch more fish, stains on their fingers and handling presentations. However I refuse to go back to smoking, just buy some chewing tobacco and add that into your soft baits......Jetspray

Jetspray
04-22-2011, 06:14 AM
I used to make some dough bait with corn meal, ground gizzards/livers (chicken), and govt cheese. Refridgerate the bait and use during the day it becomes softer. It worked in the past don't know why it wouldn't work today........Jetspray

cowboyup03
04-22-2011, 01:52 PM
That's a clue why most smokers catch more fish, stains on their fingers and handling presentations. However I refuse to go back to smoking, just buy some chewing tobacco and add that into your soft baits......Jetspray
i thought tobacco smell is bad for fishing? but not to bad cause i still catch fish :P

mike_l
04-23-2011, 08:29 AM

CC

Me too. Bait and lunch in one container. My dad had a recipe for melting velveeta and adding bees wax to it...so it would stay n the hook better. I think he added anise oil to it too. It caught lots of fish out of Convict in the 50's and 60's...-m

Sacfisher321
04-26-2011, 11:19 AM
Last year i was fishing for catfish mid summer in shallow water at folsom lake, at the browns ravine entrance.
I was using a 3" half dead blue-gill for bait, within 5 minutes i got a hit, i realed it in and it was a rainbow trout about 14" long!
Tight lines!!
-Colton

River_Addict
04-26-2011, 11:53 AM
I know the topic is trout, but I caught an 8lb. steelie on the eel river with a Capri-Sun fruit snack! It was clear with a red pocket of juice inside (like a big steelie or salmon egg).

circlehook
04-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Back before they put the dam in to make Don Pedro I use to fish the river where the bridge is now. I had run out of worms and salmon eggs so I looked around and saw some red flower buds on a bush. I caught numerous fish on those flower buds while waiting for my dad to come down stream.

FishBandit
04-27-2011, 01:30 PM
I caught on trout at Amador on a clear plastic sliding bobber filled this year. Dam fish didnt hit the power bait on the line. Just attacked the bobber as it was sinking and as we netted it is when we saw the fish spit the bobber out finally

Plug-n-Jug
04-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Raw bacon at French Meadows. We ran out of bait and had two more days of camping. Turned out that the bacon out did the power bait and worms we brought.

Plug-n-Jug
04-28-2011, 07:14 AM
I caught on trout at Amador on a clear plastic sliding bobber filled this year. Dam fish didnt hit the power bait on the line. Just attacked the bobber as it was sinking and as we netted it is when we saw the fish spit the bobber out finally
I've had them hit my green water bobber several times there. Thinking about adding a trailer hook to it.

Delta_Rose
04-28-2011, 04:21 PM
I guess it's not that crazy, but right after I caught the LMB in my avatar pic, I watched a 14" rainbow trout run down my x-rap from about twenty feet away and just hammer it. I've never seen a rainbow go after a lure like that....

redneckpunk
04-28-2011, 09:16 PM
we used to use empty gold hooks all the time to catch trout in Niles Canyon. Always out did any bait or lures we had. But best one I ever saw was my buddy and I at Shadow Cliffs for hours without a nibble. He kept wanting to leave but I was determined to stick it out. Out of protest he put a piece of Big Red chewing gum on his hooked, cast out and went for a walk to vent his frustrations at me. I dont think the line was in the water 5 minutes and BAM. I reeled in a 2.5lb rainbow on his pole.

~RNP

TroutGhost
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Maybe not so kooky but I caught a few trout yesterday on 1.5 inch hand made balsa wobblers that weigh about 3/8 ounce each. One was in a firetiger craw pattern and the other was rust colored with an orange belly. I put Mustad triple grip trebles on them and only missed one strike. They were solidly hooked in the lip/jaw area.

sweeper
04-29-2011, 08:54 PM
I found 3 reese's mini peanut butter cup foil wrappers in a bow i cleaned a few years ago,but never fished with one.

dpars
04-30-2011, 06:36 AM
I found 3 reese's mini peanut butter cup foil wrappers in a bow i cleaned a few years ago,but never fished with one.

Now that's funny. I wonder if he ate the candy?:cheesy:

Dogface
05-01-2011, 07:39 AM
My fishin' buddy and I were in Canada a year or so ago. He sees an old tablespoon hangin' on the wall..who knows why it was there. This is not a fishing spoon but a piece of dinnerware! So, he says he's gonna catch a fish on this...drills a couple holes, attaches a treble hook and next day he lands a nice lake trout. Had to bend it a couple times to get it to wobble in the water, but it worked !

Spinner
05-01-2011, 07:47 AM
I can remember catching LMB on slices of a peach! They were hammering anything that hit the water, and we had run out of frogs, so we turned to our snacks!

Miner_Moe
05-01-2011, 10:12 AM
My buddie Jayson and I watched Vic from vics rods catch a 20" kokanee out of Indian Valley on a chrome dodger and a bare naked hook...no scent no nothing, just a hook!!!

Maxumfishin
05-03-2011, 02:55 PM
Caught and released so many trout one day at Frenchmans that i bet my partner I could catch one using only a bottle cap and a hook. Fish on before I finished letting the line out. For the record, it was a MGD cap. Them were the days.

Fish_for_Brains
05-10-2011, 04:49 AM
I caught a 22-inch brown in Tahoe on a white lead head crappie jig from a paddleboat. a friend of mine caught a 12# steelhead on a goldfish at an urban lake here in the bay. I wasn't with him for that but I saw the picture. I was with the same guy, he is pretty wizard when it comes to fishing, when he caught an 11# bigmouth reeling in his poweregg. I wouldn't believe it if I wasn't there but true story. I made him release the bass. he wanted to keep her because we had no camera and nobody would believe him. sure enough, he catches a ton of flak for that tale!

SWimbaitslinger33
06-04-2011, 10:48 PM
6 inch Mickey wake bait. Trolling behind boat at tulloch

YawgDawg
06-07-2011, 08:51 AM
As a kid I had a on flying lure that swam backwards because of the line being knotted around the hook with a half of a plastic worm hanging off of it, caught a 10 inch planter at Amador.

mike22ca
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM
Ive caught a trout on a foam weighted bobber at Amador, trout his the bobber and got his mouth stuck around it.

Caught Amador fish on Fried chicken, french fries, pieces of chocolate donut, small pieces of cheetos.

dpars
06-09-2011, 05:01 PM
Caught Amador fish on Fried chicken, french fries, pieces of chocolate donut, small pieces of cheetos.

Now that's funny.:bmw8us:

R-dog135
06-10-2011, 09:38 AM
one time i was fishing for stripers on the sacramento river and just were not biting so i took some of the roast beef out of my sandwich and tied it on. 5 minutes later i had a bite and it was a 14 inch trout

Duffel bag
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
This probably doesn’t count, but I once caught a salmon that had a lure stuck in its back. My lure snagged the eyelet on the lure that was in the salmon. That lucky salmon was set free with one less pain in its back and I got a new lure out of the deal.

soarwitheagles
06-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Normally, I use silver or silver blue KastMaster's or worms on the top or the bottom to catch German Brown Trout...on this day, they would not hit nothin'! I remember thinking the yellow corn power bait probably would not work [I had never used it ever before]. Within seconds of it hitting the water, I began to hook into and land these monster German Browns...I had never tried that type of bait ever before and it worked wonders!

Then, on the same day, the funniest thing happened...my wife cast out with the yellow corn power bait and she landed an incredible ......you may not believe this, but is the honest truth...she landed a super custom Eagle fishing rod and Shimano reel! To this day, it is still the best fishing rod and reel we have.

Soar

PS A few months later, she too caught a nice German Brown using her newly found Eagle/Shimano combo! I tell you, that yellow corn power bait's got some luck to it!

TroutGhost
06-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Nice fish there Soar. Crazy about that fish, made me LOL. :rotfl:

Rick_Blunden
08-20-2011, 12:38 PM
Not a trout, but our little homemade Naked Baby Lure caught a 16# salmon trolling on the Sacramento River. Got a few laughs when people in adjacent boats asked to see our lure.

Rick

Mule Skinner
08-20-2011, 05:29 PM
It's true!
Gummy Worms!
We got into a school of trout at Lake &^^E*^%$ and they were hitting anything we threw at them. So, my girls decided to test Gummy Worms and they worked! :goodidea4gq:

dr.fish
08-21-2011, 03:14 PM
Caught 5 trout in a nice hole at Baker Creek near Wheeler Peak NV on Kraft American Cheese slices. Kind of like velveeta but harder to keep on the hook.

BIG_ONE
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Bare 3/0 Gama hook that the sun shine it with a bling while dragging it across the surface! :angling: