PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Echo 550c Fishfinder

mytmouse
04-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Tracking shows my new Garmin Echo 550c should show tomorrow. Chomping at the bit to have a dedicated FF and a dedicated GPS on helm side by side. Dont have to split my GPSMAP 530S to see sonar anymore so I can leave it on GPS (g2 vision to boot!)

The new garmin FF's do not have the same pins as my GPSMAP 530s, therefore I won't have the P66 on the new unit. I will have to mount both transducers on the back of boat and at best have a spare fishfinder on board now if needed.

I will be sure to post any updates, install notes, settings or oddities in this thread. Anyone else out there getting one/have one - /reviews/thoughts/complaints/adjustments/settings etc?

ReelJerks
04-20-2011, 07:29 AM
The new garmin FF's do not have the same pins as my GPSMAP 530s, therefore I won't have the P66 on the new unit. I will have to mount both transducers on the back of boat and at best have a spare fishfinder on board now if needed.

I don't know anything about Garmin, but, I know that Gil (semperfifishin) can get you an adapter plug/cable so your P-66 can marry to your new Echo 550. At least I think he can!

Edd

mytmouse
04-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Good call Edd...to be honest, I wasn't expecting the thing to ship until a week or 2 from now, shocked its on a truck out for delivery. I will check owners manuals now and see what I need. Good thought, way ahead of me!

eta: Looks like all I need to to is buy the 6pin to 4 pin adadpter. Sadly, I was originally thinking that I wanted to hook up both sonar's at the same time, but that makes no sense (this is why i bought the standalone FF, lol, so this is all I really need. Now, to find locally....(ya right!) 010-11615-00

ReelJerks
04-21-2011, 07:44 AM
I tried to send Semperfifishing a PM to ref. this thread, but somethings wrong. Good luck finding it locally. Try gemeco.com

Edd

mytmouse
04-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Thanks Edd, I have one coming (hodges). The adapter is a no brainer in my eyes so I just ordered it. Can't wait for reports, first ops should be next week in the bay :). Might not be on the P66 by then, but at least I will have the stock transducer on it side by side to the P66 on my other garmin.

ReelJerks
04-21-2011, 08:53 AM
The OEM ducer works great. I just find that I prefer the Airmar when fishing 100' or below.

Edd

mytmouse
05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Initial report -

With OEM transducer the Echo 550c holds bottom at 30 mph (pic later showing both Garmin units side by side)

The bait ball in front of ranch house at the Berry was HUGE on Echo 550c. with P66 on GPSMAP 530S - wouldnt have guessed it was a bait ball (guessing this has to be relation to boat over bait ball, even though both transducers are on transom, new one is on Port Side, P66 is Starboard.)

Echo 550c does not show the bottom of lake as downrigger weight depth (P66 does). Shows riggers and bottom of lake, (ya, i know, what a bonus, lol)

Was able to mark the catching of the kings on my now newly dedicated GPS, and was able to go right over the same spot and put MORE fish in the boat.

Thumbs up so far!

ReelJerks
05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Sounds to me like you're getting it dialed in rather quickly. Can't wait for the pics.
BTW, I have seen on other boats a situation such as you describe. When I looked further I could see one unit ZOOMed in 4X and the other unit with no ZOOM.

Footnote: Since the installation of the 4.0 upgrade for my HDS, I am preferring the OEM ducer over the P-319. I love the wide angle. I'm not done with settings as yet, so it's not a write off.....my P-319 is still mounted.

Edd

AnglingWes
05-12-2011, 02:04 PM
The OEM ducer works great. I just find that I prefer the Airmar when fishing 100' or below.

Edd

We have that setup on our Trophy. Use the OEM for trolling for salmon and the Airmar for halibut jigging. One is better for suspended stuff and the other for bottom detail.

ReelJerks
05-12-2011, 03:09 PM
We have that setup on our Trophy. Use the OEM for trolling for salmon and the Airmar for halibut jigging. One is better for suspended stuff and the other for bottom detail.
:exactly2pn:

mytmouse
07-13-2011, 06:31 AM
I've been slow with the reports on the new Garmin, simply due to not fishing! ugh!
did get out a couple weeks ago for first trip in the bay...still on the OEM ducer, bait balls were nicely marked, even the predator below. We will never know if the predator we saw on the screen below a bait ball was the 12 pound butt my daughter reeled in, but needless to say, right after pointing out the bait ball, and theh clear predator below it.....slamo....

so far ive had 3 trips for fish. All have produced, 2 of the 3 times we saw a mark and with in moments it was fish on....scary stuff....

Adapter arrived this week, now I can use the P66 on it, will advise of updates. and by the way, the 6 pin to 4 pin garmin cable does include 2 4 pin cables (1 for sonar, 1 for speed)...plug and play.

mytmouse
07-24-2011, 07:34 PM
P66 now on 550c, berryessa bound.

Failed to take pics, or video, but if I could it would have gone something like this....

Pic 1 (or Vid 1)
Here is a shot of a kok going down to the down rigger balls. You can not only see the fish in this pic, you can see both port and starboard balls, AND the starboard stacked clip...WOW...yeah, I pretty much had 3 marks at all times on my screen, that was a treat.

Pic 2
Here is a shot of that fish after we noticed the mark, bam'o it was on the port pole.

I'm speechless guys...No, we were not calling every fish we caught, but it was very eery to mark a fish, then advise to watch for a hit, then seconds later the hit....the words firsh whisperer were mentioned on he boat, it was that kool...lmao...still cant believe it...best money ive spent in a while.

Pic 3
here is a shot at top speed on my little aluminum boat, (33 or so), still holding bottom. Did not lose bottom once, nor was bottom ever confused with the balls being the bottom.

Uhhh, I'm sold. Go Garmin!

mytmouse
08-01-2011, 05:51 AM
prolly my last needed update here....well, if you see my berry report from Saturday, you will see I took out a father and daughter for their first trip....I let the dad drive most of the day as I played deckhand....by the end of the day, the DAD, who doesnt own a fishfinder or tackle....is also calling the shots of when to watch the poles....and then sure enough the hit comes....wow, if a newbie can do it anyone can! go garmin...still sold....20+ fish at berryessa, lmao...ive been fishing blind!

ReelJerks
08-01-2011, 07:24 AM
...ive been fishing blind!

YES! When things are set up correctly and adjusted properly....it's a piece of cake. I feel the same about my HDS network.

Glad you're going strong.

Edd

Old_School
08-01-2011, 12:52 PM
mytmouse

just saw your thread and appriciate it cuz I have been looking at these units.

My current unit is nearly worthless and I can relate to your "fishing blind" comment.

Glad you've had good results so far.

I didn't see your screen shots for some reason. Those would be cool to see.

Thanks again,
Old School

mytmouse
08-02-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi Old School....i've been a failure at taking screen shots, was really a busy deckhand and didnt take one pic all day....i will do it next time to give you an idea of what I am saying above....glad the updates are helping. i have it coupled with a GPS MAP 530S, loving the separation between GPS and FF more than anything. I have not viewed the fishfinder on the GPSMAP since getting this, its only GPS now (and backup if needed)

mytmouse
02-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Most know my exploits have been few and far on the water since obtaining this new 550c. However, in the times i have been able to get out, the rewards have been great. This may sound odd, but I am now at decision time yet again on electronics....I have the 2 Garmins now, 1 I use as FF and 1 I use as GPS. I love this as opposed to trying to split 1 small screen.

My options are simple:
Humminbird 998c SI or Humminbird 1158c DI

the only reason these 2 are an option is I already own Humminbird Cannonlink and all cables to hook up my Cannon Mag 20's. Also, I have teh Barometric pressure unit and I would anticipate that I would be getting the Humminbird speed/temp at ball sender to display and control downriggers from humminbird......This could replace both Garmin units.

or

Say the heck with humminbird and all my accessories and : buy a killer new Garmin GPSMAP (just for big screen, i already own blue charts and G2 vision). this would leave me with all Garmin, but again 2 units. (id get a 4208 or 4210 or something, could always hook sonar to it to replace both Garmins in the future, i would still use the echo 550c til then).

or

Say the heck with humminbird and all my accessories and : get a Furuno FCV-585 to really show what Ive been missing. (one note, the p-66 on my garmin is the same P-66 needed for the furuno), I wouldnt need to buy a transducer...then if i really get hard up I can always sell my Garmin's and replace with a small humminbird for GPS and downrigger control......

Tell me why Option 3 was a bad move? LMAO!! cant wait for the Furuno to show up now....im drooooooooling already knowing its coming.

Ill have an echo 550c for sale VERY shortly......muahahaaaaaa! you will love it.

Old_School
02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Hi mytmouse,
You def got the electronics bug!
Hey, if you can why not.
You def went huge on the Fur., but that unit looks beyond amazing. Congrats!
You got a green NR? If I see u on berry this year I'll know who to follow around! Lol.

When you sell ur echo give me a shot at it. I may be interested.
Old school

mytmouse
02-07-2012, 07:26 AM
Hi Old_School, I have one buddy who says he wants it, but if he passes I will look you up. I expect the Furuno in next 2 weeks or so. Red North River

big_trout24
02-08-2014, 02:46 PM
I just bought the same unit for my 22ft pontoon,
have not used it yet..
seems simple enough

our toon came stock with a Garmin 100 echo.....
so i upgraded..