PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance HDS 5M Question

Fish_For_It
04-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Is the chartplotter that comes with the HDS 5M work well enough in the Delta that I can use it without upgrading the chip?
Thanks.

AnglingWes
04-20-2011, 08:03 AM
The base map is fine for navigation, but doesn't provide any topo data. I use it to go from one place to another, but if you want to find 10' deep water adjacent to 25' deep water around tules, it doesn't help at all.

Fish_For_It
04-20-2011, 08:28 AM
AnglingWes,

Thanks for the information. Yes, I am looking for a map for going from point A to point B for now. Any big difference between the HDS5 and the HDS5M?

AnglingWes
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
The 5M is ONLY a chart plotter (GPS). It does not function as a sonar (fish finder) by itself. It can be networked with other HDS units to utilize the sonar functions. Typically, the 5M is purchased is you already have an HDS unit on the boat, and just want to add an additional GPS.

The 5X is ONLY a sonar, and does not have chartplotter capability as a stand alone unit. It is usually installed on the bow and networked to another unit at the help to share GPS functionality.

If this is the your first HDS experience, I would recommend buying the HDS-5 and getting one of the Navionics upgrades in a bundle deal. It is WAY cheaper to spend a little extra now than trying to add features later.

Fish_For_It
04-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks for the additional information. You have cleared this up considerably for me.

ReelJerks
04-21-2011, 07:32 AM
If this is the your first HDS experience, I would recommend buying the HDS-5 and getting one of the Navionics upgrades in a bundle deal. It is WAY cheaper to spend a little extra now than trying to add features later.

Actually Wes, I think the upgraded 'Insight' is as good as any of the Navionics chips, from what I've seen. Cost is also about the same.

Edd