PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Pheasant Club

Waterdog
04-20-2011, 04:02 PM
My pheasant club of 20 years the Susuin Marsh Pheasant Preserve has closed their doors, is out of business. I am looking for another club. I have looked into Hastings Island and with all the amenities it offers looks like a great club. I am going to check it out Saturday. If anyone has any information, pro and con comments I like to hear.

Reel Fun
04-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Probally your best bet for that area.....they have a decent grill and let members fish the back of those sloughs!!! I have not bought a card there for 4-5 years but they were always near the top on the prices but then again Camanche Hills charges a fee to be a member then another fee for the birds as well!!! I wonder what club is on Motezuma Slough near the locks??

RF

Delta_Rose
04-20-2011, 08:22 PM
We hunted Hastings from about 1994-2000. We got tired of the crowds on weekends- not sure if it is any better now. We've been hunting at Quail Point (http://www.quailpoint.com/) off of 505 for about the last ten years. Their business model is a bit different, in the sense that you pay for the birds that are released in your field, but there are no additional charges if you shoot more. If you have a good dog, you'll definitely get your money's worth. I really like the fact that you are assigned a field that is all yours- there are no crowding issues. They also have quail and chukar available. I found preserve pheasants with a 20 gauge a bit boring after a few years. I now prefer quail with a .410- much more fun....

They are closing for the season soon, but you may want to give them a try for a day hunt next season before you lay your money down on a 20 bird card at Hastings...

Big Game
04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
WD

Birds Landing. Been a member for about 15 years.
We get bent Hastings folk all the time. Good owners,
Safe Hunters, pro shop, grill, sporting clays, etc...
send me a pm if interested - I can fill you in.
Big Game

Waterdog
04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the great information. I will check out Quail Point and Birds Landing. What I like about my last club and Hastings (I haven't been to Hastings yet to check it out) is that only the birds you harvest come off your card. Both my last club and Hastings have free roam, in fact I am told Hastings is 100% free roam. I like free roam way better than planting birds in a single field but will do that too. The problem that concerns me with most other clubs is that you pay for what they plant. If you have an off day shooting the already expensive birds become incredibly expensive and you get fewer birds on the table.
For example last year I had 4 birds planted in a field. I hunted with my 2 labs who are outstanding hunters. 1st bird flew at a group of other hunters, even though they were 100 yards away I couldn't shoot. The 2nd bird flew low to the ground for the first 50 or so yards and I couldn't shoot him either for fear I'd hit one of my dogs. The 3rd I just flat out missed (I am a pretty good shot but it happens). 4th bird I slammed at about 40 yards. If I had to pay for all 4 birds the one I harvested would have cost about $100+. That is why I prefer a pay for what you harvest.
I also like areas to hunt that have water filled ditches and canals. Since I hunt labs they need things like that to cool off in when the temps start to rise.
However this weekend I am going to drive up to all 3 clubs to check them out and make a decision then. If anyone else has comments about clubs please let me know.

Reel Fun
04-21-2011, 08:22 PM
The last year I was at Hastings ( 3-4 yrs ago) a guy lost his life in the field!!! Very sad!!! I heard he was alone and slipped and shot himself. They noticed he had not checked out and his car was still in the parking lot late. When they found him out in the field his dog was by his side!!!! Very strong relationship between a hunter and his dog!!! STAY SAFE OUT THERE!!!!

RF

Waterdog
04-22-2011, 05:54 AM
Yes very sad. I used to teach hunter safety, I am ultra safety conscious

Big Game
04-22-2011, 09:28 AM
WD,

Great Idea to go and check out the clubs in person. I have no experience with Hastings but I have heard good and bad about it. I can tell you that I have a Lab and there are a few ponds at Birds Landing - and yes, he loves them. Typically, Birds are released (not planted) into the fields each morning from ATV's - so they spread out pretty good. You are only "Punched" for the # of birds you bring back to the Clubhouse, unless you have arranged a "Special Hunt" in which you have a field and ask them to put a certain number of birds there. It's a smaller, more intimate kind of club, and it fit's my son and I real good.
It takes me about an Hour and 15 mins from Livermore. Make sure you stop at FOSTERS BIGHORN in Rio Vista on the way home - awesome display of Big and small game animals, fish, etc...oh....and then there's the BEER also.

Good Luck on your Decision. Big Game

Waterdog
04-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Make sure you stop at FOSTERS BIGHORN in Rio Vista

Thanks Big Game, I often launch my boat at Brannon Is and have stopped by Fosters numerous times. The display of game/birds/fish is unbelievable and yes the beer is mighty good.

Waterdog
04-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I narrowed it down to Birds Landing and Hastings Is. and settled on Hastings. I like Birds landing and it is a class place but what I liked about Hastings is free roam, I can hunt there anytime with no reservation. I also like that you can stay over night there and you can fish and launch a boat there. I plan to launch there during duck season and hunt that part of the delta. I hope I made the right decision, time will tell.
Thanks all for all your information.

Big Game
04-27-2011, 12:36 PM
WD,

No worries, I am sure that you will have a great time at Hastings and it sound like it's a good fit for you, so congrats on making the decision. I am curious though - since you live in Fremont, is it better for you to go 80 fwy, or will you be going through Rio Vista?

Happy Hunting and be safe! Big Game

Waterdog
04-27-2011, 05:20 PM
On Saturday I went via rio vista and came back via 80. 80 is a little farther but I am not sure time wise which is better. It was 78 miles via rio vista and I don't recall how far going 80 but it was farther. I got my hunting partner to join also so I will have someone to hunt with on occasion. for me pheasant and duck hunting is all about hunting with my labs(and friends)

Bass Bob
05-08-2011, 09:56 AM
try hunting the refuges for wild birds. you have to work at it but the fly better than chickens.

Waterdog
05-10-2011, 07:17 AM
I belong to Wilderness Unlimited and a private duck club that has pheasants so I get plenty of wild bird shooting. I hunt wild pheasants at least a dozen times during the season. My past experience with refuges is that there are very very few birds after opening week. I have 2 outstanding dogs but still may hunt a refuge 5 or 6 hours for only one shot or no shots. The Klamath refuge probably has the best population of pheasants but an 8 hour drive for me so thats pretty much out. I like private pheasant clubs because you can hunt them about 5 months out of the year and the birds fly just fine.

Big Game
05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
Roger that Waterdog. I got tired of not getting drawn and / or waiting in a sweat line
for a few mealsy shots too.

Big Game