PDA

View Full Version : Motion Sickness Wristbands?

janbfishinfolk
04-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Anyone here know if the wristbands work? Both my wife and friend get extremely ill and have tried the patches and ginger treatment without success. Neither wants to try more drug remedies and I want to get both of them out Salmon and Tuna fishing this year. I've heard of wristbands with magnets and some with only a plastic button but thought this would be the place to get the real scoop. DO they work and if so where do you get them? Thanks.

mel
04-26-2007, 06:42 AM
I've tried them before and although I guess they worked to a certain extent, (I didn't get sick but still felt queasy), but I rarely get sick enough to puke. I used them deep sea fishing once in Hawaii when it was pretty rough and manged to keep my food down. Have to take into consideration that we covered almost a hundred miles in huge swells too. Out of all the things I tried, pills, ointments behind the ear, wristbands etc, I find that the best thing that works is a lot of sleep the night before and a big breakfast. (Oh yeah, ended up with a weird looking tan line too from the wristbands).

Hiking-Jay
04-26-2007, 06:56 AM
Depends upon what you believe.

I've tried them and they didn't do a thing for me. If you look at some of the medical web sites like WebMD, most of their articles say that the good research (research that has taken measures to take people's desire to believe it works out of the equation) says it doesn't work.

BUT, there is also a lot of anecdotal evidence that says that the wrist bands and magnets do work simply because it helps the wearer "get their mind right". Apparently motion sickness has a lot mor to do with how you deal with it rather than actual physical problems. Sure your inner ear fluids are moving around and can cause slight disorientation, but I think how you react to that disorientation determines wether or not you get sick.

If you think about it, everybody on the boat is experiencing the same physical effects from the boat rocking, but only a few of us get sick. Drugs help us deal with the disorientation so we don't get sick, but for some people, a magic bracelet is enough to help them deal. ::)

kromebrite
04-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I've tried the electric impulse band with minimal success.
I've had the best results with Bonine, one pill taken before bed and then one about and hour before boating.

Rock_Hopper
04-26-2007, 07:58 AM
My GF, who is very susceptible to sea-sickness, has had very good results with the small circular patch that is placed behind the ear.

Sorry...can't recall the name of the product.

kromebrite
04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Most likely Scopalomine.

cyperyip
04-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Medicines like Dramamine (sp?) only works when you take them like 12 hours before the trip, and definite good sleep helps! The other thing is not to have too much food in the morning and also adding a cup of caffeine won't help either. :-[

cy

abdiver12
04-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Its called the transderm-scopalomine patch and it doesn't work worth a damn for me. Neither does the wrist band. Ginger works for mild weather but not for huge swells. Only thing that's ever worked for me are Australian pills called Travacalm and Quells. They will knock you out though so take them with lots of caffeine. Seasickness SUCKS, especially for someone who loves fishing and the sea!

kromebrite
04-26-2007, 07:41 PM
Where are these Aussie pills available at in the States, or are they?

rk2fish
04-26-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm with krombrite & cyperyip, take a Dramamine the night before and one hour before the trip. I went monterey salmon fishing last monday & tuesday and thought I would try to change and try ginger and Dramamine in the morning the first day. Well needless to say, I almost chummed. So the second day I stuck with what usually works for me( Dramamine the night before and in the morning) and didn't have any ill moments on tuesday. I also usually wear the electric wrist band, but after what happened on monday, I'm not so sure that this device works either.

blue_chrush
04-26-2007, 08:05 PM
OK>>>> heres the 411 on seasick.......
the wrist bands while it may work as a placibo it has not shown
to be effective..... save your money...
daramine only works for 4/6hrs and needs to be taken at least
an hour before going out and has huge side effects.....
scopace patches work great and sometimes last 2 days but
needs a doctors PH>>> and they cost about 30.00 for 12/15

now for the deal.....
costco has "MECLIZINE" which is a non drowzy formual and last all
day with little or no side effects, it can be taken as little as 30mins
before going out and if you sick and havn't taken a pill you can
insert rectally which works almost within min... only if the person
is puking... or you can swallow one and if kept down will stop the
feeling.....
now for the price......100 tables cost only 6.00...........

I keep a bottle on board and if you have never been out on
the ocean you get a pill..... thats the bottom line..
gas is to costly to be running in from 8miles or more out to
bring you in....

http://www.samandfuzzy.com/misc/sick.jpg *

CPTN_JACK
04-27-2007, 01:20 AM
wrist bands work 50/50,, ask doc for scopace pills!! cant do much better than that!! good luck!! CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]

abdiver12
04-27-2007, 01:53 AM
I was on a boat a few months ago to the Farallones on a rough day and alot of the sick guys in the galley had taken Dramamine. One even told me he had started the night before. All of them were too sick to even touch a rod. Bottom line is that everyone has a different level of mal de mer and what works for one person may not work for another. The best way is to experiment with different remedies and see what works for you. The draw back is, if the experiment doesn't work, you're in for a long and miserable day on the water!

justme
04-27-2007, 06:36 AM
What has always worked for me is to take 1 dramamine before going to bed then one when I get up in the morning. I do not eat anything until we get out to where we are going to fish. The most important thing is to slam a cold beer just before the boat leaves the dock ;) that carbonation really helps. I have never gotten seasick and I go out at least seven to 10 times a year. I do not know if any of this has to do with not getting seasick but I am not going to change my routine and find out because getting seasick does not look pleasant. [smiley=hitfish.gif] [smiley=sonar.gif] [smiley=worm.gif]

slick88
04-27-2007, 07:30 AM
OK>>>>

now for the deal.....
insert rectally which works almost within min...

Does the deckhand help out with this?

red_dog
04-27-2007, 08:15 AM
I agree with blue crush but would like to add MECLIZINE can cause drowsiness at least it does for me. *I have researched the seasickness subject a lot because I too get very ill even on calm days. *The best product I found is called Marezine granted it is expensive at almost a dollar per pill but fishing in the ocean and owning a boat is also rather expensive. *Marezine is not found in most stores but some pharmacy’s can order it. *Good luck.

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=16152&catid=71583&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=71583&trxp2=16152&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=B UY-PLST-0-CAT

aslan
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Quote from blue crush on Yesterday at 8:05pm:
OK>>>>

now for the deal.....

Yikes, what kind of boat do you usually go out on? I guess if you had to go that direction, bring a date! lol

sehoner
04-29-2007, 07:13 AM
a doctor told me once that the reason you get sea sick is, your brain is used to processing images that are flat and steady. when your on the water none of those "regular" images are there. so your brain freaks out and the result is sea sickniess. or somethin like that. makes sense, but is it true? idk. he was a doctor though.

riddle me this, ever go to a water park like raging waters or waterworld? the life guards rock their heads back and forth like they are listeneing to an ipod. i asked this chick why once, (she was kinda hot) she said they do it so they dont get motion sickness from lookin at the moving water in the tanks and pools. go figure.

oh yeah, my wife used the "sea bands" when she was pregnant. loves em. says theyre the best.

janbfishinfolk
04-29-2007, 08:06 AM
Thanks for all the feedback - Sounds like blue crush ...

it can be taken as little as 30mins
insert rectally which works almost within min

Has been fishing on the Love Boat [smiley=stretcher.gif]

jgr7
04-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Meclizine Hydrochloride 25mg is what the less drowsy formula of Dramamine uses to help prevent motion sickness.
I have used everything out there and nothing works for me when it is really bad on a fishing boat. When I go on the cruise ships I use the scopolamine patches and have never gotten sick. I now have the pill form of the patch but haven't been on the ocean yet to try them out. I do know that if it is not foggy and my fishing partners help me with rigging the bait and tackle I have a better chance of not getting sick. I also think the type of wave or maybe swell can be what gets me. The swells that are close together and sometimes come from several directions get me dizzy and can lead to sickness. I rarely get sick in the SF bay, but then again we get off the water in the bay when it gets real bad.
Jeff

Bran_Sunwolf
04-29-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't know why it has always worked with me , but first off If I'm going out where there is any rough water( crossing the bar so to speak) I always down a quart of gatorade 1 hour before heading out and chew spearmint gum all day and never have gotten sick. On water no .. heights yes. Can't do heights well.

P.S. Gatorade 1/2 hour before alcohol is a great hangover preventative as well.. ;)

slick88
07-30-2007, 10:23 PM
[quote author=blue crush link=1177592453/0#10 date=1177646733]now for the deal.....
insert rectally which works almost within min... only if the person
is puking... or you can swallow one and if kept down will stop the
feeling.....now for the price......100 tables cost only 6.00...........
quote]

I got some of the 25mg pills of Meclizine at the Costco near SFO and it was $4.99 for 100 pills. The brand was Sandoz.

Toxic_Waste
07-31-2007, 10:08 AM
I thought I had replied to this, but since I don't see my post, I guess there must be a similar thread around somewhere.

I cannot take any of the chemical motion-sickness remedies because, of all things, they make me sick! But I did get an electronic wristband and it works. It delivers little electrical impulses to a medial nerve in the wrist, and I am not sure of the medical details about why this works, but it does, at least in my case. The only trouble I have with it is I have to put it on kind of tight because evidently my nerves are buried a little deep. Other people who have tried it on, however, don't seem to have that problem.

Anyway, I have been happy with it and when I wear it, I don't get sea sick. Kinda pricey, though, but who wants to save a little money and then throw up?

Earlyo
08-02-2007, 07:15 AM
Seasickness is a large part psychological, I have found. You definitely need to be in the right mind set which is a hard thing to do. I agree though about a good nights sleep. Now, I have tried the wrist bands and I don't think they work but again I didn't have the right mind set which was doubt. I have tried Dramamine but the drowsiness that it causes will get you killed on the car ride to and from the fishing trip unless you have a designated driver! Bonine and meclizine used to work for me but I think the fear of seasickness has overcome the usefulness of it. Scopalamine patches seem the best although I still get queasy with those. The taste of Ginger made me nauseous to start. We even used to get sloppy drunk before the trip as a measure for seasickness and it would work but then you can't fish properly! There are many remedies but the number one thing that you can do is to be in the mindset that you won't get sick and then supplement it with drugs! OR you can just be hardcore and crazy like me and just go out puke your guts out and fish when you can and puke when you can but take a friend with you to drive you home! I have given up ocean fishing so many times it is ridiculous. Trolling for salmon is better than mooching or rockfishing because the motion of the boat isn't as bad so I tend to stick to trolling trips. Although I am a sucker for punishment because I love fishing so much. I am going out on a rockfishing trip next weekend after I swore I would never go last year! Good Luck with * *your search for the perfect cure!!!!!!!

SLOfisher
08-02-2007, 02:50 PM
OK>>>>

now for the deal.....

Actually, I think that guy would be called the "deck-finger".

ScubaHawk
08-02-2007, 04:09 PM
Earlyo has a good point:

Seasickness is a large part psychological, I have found.

Seasickness is part psychological, part fear, and part stomach contents, or lack thereof.

As an ex-tug captain and fishing boat captain who suffers from a weak stomach, I have learned to manage seasickness.

You must eat food that does not upset your stomach. *I found that tuna salad sandwiches always solved my problem. *So did scrambled egg burritos and burnt toast. *Burnt toast works great when you have just ralphed the entire contents of your stomach overboard. *Burn some toast and start nibbling, start fishing, and keep nibbling. *The carbon absorbs the nasty stuff in your stomach.

Stay busy and always watch the horizon while being in fresh air.

If your are nasty sick, don't hold it in -- head for the rail and ralph it all up! *Then burn some toast and starting to eat food that settles your stomach.

If you are seasick on a boat and a guy walks up to and starts eating live anchovies in front of you, and then brings you burnt toast at the rail -- well...that would be me!! *Most folks forgot about my anchovy eating when they started catching lots of fish and having fun.

sehoner
08-03-2007, 09:37 AM
a little late but......ya those sea-bands didnt really work for me.

took some dram and was fine until i had to pee. once i went inside the cabin it was all over.

the good thing was, i would puke and then rally, puke and rally. i wasnt actually sick, i was just puking.

i did do some research and apparently sea sickness is caused by:

your brain thinking you have been poisoned due to the constant motion and unstable horizon, therefore it reacts in a self preservatory way. it makes you vomit out the poison.

it sucks because there actually is no poison.............

ok brain, i want you to listen to me very very carefully. there is no poison!!!! stupid dumb brain! *mmmm emergency ham! [smiley=homersimpson.gif]

Toxic_Waste
08-03-2007, 10:42 AM
Regarding the wrist bands, I only found success with the electronic pulse kind, and even then, the little jolt of electricity had to be positioned just right. If you don't feel it in your middle finger, it won't work. (Or so the instructions say and so I have discovered through trial and error.)

I agree that part of motion sickness is psychological, like if you convince yourself you're gonna get sick, you probably will. But for me, it strikes if I go inside a large wheelhouse where I lose sight of the horizon, or if I start to look at the booklet of fishing regulations. (It's terrible when out ocean fishing when you have to flip through endless pages of fine print to see if the fish you just caught is legal or not, but it's better than a fine and confiscation of equipment.)

Regarding food in the stomach, it's funny what works best for me: green-apple-flavored fruit rolls! I always have a stash on the boat. The other flavors don't seem to offer the protection. That is probably a psych thing.

fishyguy
08-03-2007, 11:03 AM
Seasickness is a large part psychological, I have found. You definitely need to be in the right mind set which is a hard thing to do. I agree though about a good nights sleep. Now, I have tried the wrist bands and I don't think they work but again I didn't have the right mind set which was doubt. I have tried Dramamine but the drowsiness that it causes will get you killed on the car ride to and from the fishing trip unless you have a designated driver! Bonine and meclizine used to work for me but I think the fear of seasickness has overcome the usefulness of it. Scopalamine patches seem the best although I still get queasy with those. The taste of Ginger made me nauseous to start. We even used to get sloppy drunk before the trip as a measure for seasickness and it would work but then you can't fish properly! There are many remedies but the number one thing that you can do is to be in the mindset that you won't get sick and then supplement it with drugs! OR you can just be hardcore and crazy like me and just go out puke your guts out and fish when you can and puke when you can but take a friend with you to drive you home! I have given up ocean fishing so many times it is ridiculous. Trolling for salmon is better than mooching or rockfishing because the motion of the boat isn't as bad so I tend to stick to trolling trips. Although I am a sucker for punishment because I love fishing so much. I am going out on a rockfishing trip next weekend after I swore I would never go last year! Good Luck with * *your search for the perfect cure!!!!!!!

Too funny! *;D ;D * That sounds exactly like me. *Yeah, I've tried everything there is and nothing works 100 percent of the time. *When I was younger I would just tough it out but now, upchucking 20+ times per trip just isn't worth it anymore. * :o

abdiver12
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
When it comes to mal de mer, everyone is different. Everyone has different levels of it and a medication that works for one person may not work for another. As a guy who's chummed the seas all over the world and seen countless others do it, my best advice is to try different remedies to see what works for you. And if you're one of those rare people that never stop being sick, don't go to sea. You'll avoid a miserable experience for both yourself and your boat mates.

cptfishalot
08-03-2007, 12:07 PM
I like the wristbands and a half tab of Bonnie...

fishyguy
08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
When all else fails.....there's always cyanide ;D J/K

Seriously, though, I've been so sick, dying would have been a good alternative. :o

chigger22
08-04-2007, 06:24 AM
Never had much luck with the ocean, my friend bought his North River 22'er and have been out on it and used Bonine and no chuming but tired next day. Went yesterday to the tuna grounds out of Monterey on another friends 40er' with some Scopace in my pocket and two in my stomache. *Chumed twice not much fun at all. If you can stay busy on the boat and stay away from the rolling motions.

Chigger 22 or *Chummer 22

Off_The_Hook
08-04-2007, 10:46 AM
I have learned through my own experience, and through others, that if you believe it will work, it probably will. I also know that no one thing works for everybody, and what works great for me, don't work at all for some of my friends. For instance, I have found my magic cure to be Zantac or Prilosec the night before and the morning, sleep, food, and the Scopolamine patch. But thats me. I think everyone needs to experiment with different things, and that expermentation sometimes involves chumming. When you find something works for you, use it everytime and believe in it.

PJ
08-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Well I have to add my 2 cents to this mahem of puke barf and chumm,only because I am the sea sickness king in my family.Ive owned a boat as long as i can remember,and have been in the ocean on days when the skipper was hurlin..along side me of coarse...Ive tried them all..most of the drug/patch type turn me into gumby or pokie and I just go"duh" all day,,that is till the Myth Busters *turned me onto GINGER capsules * *Works for me .Had the time of my life fishing with no mush brain. Health food store.Took 2 PM before and two in the Am. No joke *give it a shot..felt great till maybe 3 in the afternoon and took another.Jeese i used to get sic in the bay on my own boat......Pj ;)

Rusty_Hooks
08-05-2007, 08:15 PM
I like the wristbands and a half tab of Bonnie...

I'm in with the Captain here....bands and bonnie work fine for me

justme
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM
I am with the guy that takes a dramamine before going to bed and 1 in the morning. Then just before the boat leaves the dock I open up a ice cold beer and drink it. No breakfast until I get out to the fishing grounds. Once out there I eat what ever and as much as I want. I have been doing this at least 7 to 10 times a year for 30 years and have never gotten sick. I don't even know if I would get sick if I did not take anything or change my routine but I am not going to find out either.

cptfishalot
08-06-2007, 11:13 AM
That sounds like a plan.......... ;D

tincan
08-07-2007, 11:08 AM
if you put the patche 8-)s on you must put them on one day before you plan to go out so it has a chance to get into your system, they last for 3 days. My brother always gets sick cuz he puts it on the nite before, last trip i made him put it on one full day ahead, guess what ? no sickness. The wrist bands do help a little, and i say a little.like others said scopace is the best ;D
tincan