PDA

View Full Version : what's your most productive lure set up for foothill lakes?

JPFX
04-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Last year was my absolute worst year of fishing. My fishing buddy outfished me every trip at least 3 to 1. I've never known a streak of bad luck to run an entire year, but mine did. It seems as though all my old faithfuls lost their MoJo. So, if you don't mind, tell what is your best set-up (flasher w/crawler, dodger w/Needlefish etc.) Most of my fishing is trolling foothill lakes like Pedro, Melones, McSwain/McClure and Del Valle. Im heading out next week for 4 days/nights so i'll try suggestions then. THANKS!

Slapabow
04-25-2011, 06:30 AM
That is a broad question.
You have to have your go to first and then change as the fish tell you. Speed / color / depth / scent . Location , and i'am sure there is more.

What lake are you hitting for 4 days ???? What species ?

Kevin

JPFX
04-25-2011, 07:06 AM
I'll be hitting McClure and McSwain

ReelJerks
04-25-2011, 09:00 AM
One of my favorites is a Shasta Tackle UV/Nickle Sling Blade with a Brass/Red or Nickle/Red Cripplure (depending on water and cloud cover).
I have become a UV freak or sorts. All the Sling Blades I run are the UV and reds are a good lure color for this time of year. The red Humdinger is a close 2nd. I find sometimes that I can get more bites by running one rod clean.

RJ

stickbait
04-26-2011, 09:37 AM
That is a broad question.
You have to have your go to first and then change as the fish tell you. Speed / color / depth / scent . Location , and i'am sure there is more.

What lake are you hitting for 4 days ???? What species ?

Kevin

I think slapabow is talking trout since we are on the trout board.

JPFX
04-26-2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks. I'm going to pick up one of those UV Sling Blades. I have seen them used a lot on the Angler West TV Show. Never been a fan of the Cripplelure but they are also used a lot on that show.

ReelJerks
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks. I'm going to pick up one of those UV Sling Blades. I have seen them used a lot on the Angler West TV Show. Never been a fan of the Cripplelure but they are also used a lot on that show.

If you give the Cripplure an honest shot, I'm sure you will be very happy.

RJ

cswan
04-26-2011, 04:32 PM
If you give the Cripplure an honest shot, I'm sure you will be very happy.

RJ
ReelJerks-
I have a question for you about the cripplure. I only own one of them. Bought it to see how they ran. I dropped it off the side of the boat on a normal slow troll like 1.5-1.7mph and it doesn't move/wobble worth a hoot. Tried putting it down deeper and away from boat and still didn't move. Just dragged through the water. Did I get a lemon? Does the eye in the front need tweeking? Or is this just the way they run? Anyways, that was a year ago. After seeing that I never had enough confidence in it to pull it behind the boat especially with a host of other lures that work just fine. Its been just taking up space in the tackle box! ha Guess I should just give it an good try and see what happens.

CRABBY
04-26-2011, 04:55 PM
I'll be hitting McClure and McSwain

John,there's not much info posted on these lakes,have you tried Grubs there,they seem to work well at all lakes,try diff.sizes an colors naked an with a trolling disk (1") or side kick dodger,match your colors to the time of day an water clarity,pro cure garlic gel,anise oil or gel,RMT assassin spinners,wedding rings,ck.your local bait shops for info an pick there brains,good luck...Don

CRABBY
04-26-2011, 05:03 PM
ReelJerks-
I have a question for you about the cripplure. I only own one of them. Bought it to see how they ran. I dropped it off the side of the boat on a normal slow troll like 1.5-1.7mph and it doesn't move/wobble worth a hoot. Tried putting it down deeper and away from boat and still didn't move. Just dragged through the water. Did I get a lemon? Does the eye in the front need tweeking? Or is this just the way they run? Anyways, that was a year ago. After seeing that I never had enough confidence in it to pull it behind the boat especially with a host of other lures that work just fine. Its been just taking up space in the tackle box! ha Guess I should just give it an good try and see what happens.

cswan,they will wobble on there own,I run them on a 12/18" leader with dodgers an they have plenty of action at that speed,even with a longer leader they will wiggle good,I have used 1/2 doz.of them or so an all ran good.Not sure why yours don't though,never tried bending them or tweaking them...Don

Koke Machine83
04-26-2011, 05:07 PM
There is nothing wrong with the cripplure. They should roll and spin with a back and forth action. Use them by them self or in front of a long leader and a dodger. Just tie the line directly the small loop in the front. I like using the red and gold early in the morning and the nickle/blue or nickle/red during the sun part of the day. Good luck!!!

Robbie

dpars
04-26-2011, 06:12 PM
My old standby is a nickle-bikini needlefish behind flashers. Works real well at Camanche and Pardee , as well as higher up, Silver Lake or Caples.

ReelJerks
04-27-2011, 07:20 AM
ReelJerks-

Make sure you tie the line DIRECTLY to the Cripplure. Do not use a swivel. Honestly I have never seen one run straight. Crazy.

RJ

edit: Oops! Didn't realize that Koke Machine83 had already answered you.

JPFX
04-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm all pumped up now thinking about using a Cripplure! Ah....the little things that get us excited:bananacheese:

fshnhunt
04-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Just my 2 cents... Hard to say what my "most productive lure set up" would be but...... I would have to say night crawler/dodger combo. In the last 5 or 6 years Iv'e mostly used the smaller Sep's but I have no problem using the larger dodgers. And like most have already stated, color really depends on light/clearity/depth. An old timer many years ago told me as a general rule: "dark days, dark colors. Light days, light collors".

O....i never leave home with out a blue/silver Kastmaster NO MATTER what I'm fishin for.

P.S. The only place I've ever caught anything off a criplure was Shasta....Thjats just me tho

cswan
04-27-2011, 01:22 PM
Make sure you tie the line DIRECTLY to the Cripplure. Do not use a swivel. Honestly I have never seen one run straight. Crazy.

RJ

edit: Oops! Didn't realize that Koke Machine83 had already answered you.

Thanks for response. I never use a swivel. Only O rings with some lures but not that cripplure. I'll just have to put it in the water again and see what happens.

JPFX
04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
fshnhunt - My fishing partner would have to agree with you on the Kastmaster. He trolled a a gold one and a crome one and had great success last year!

playnhooky
04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
small needlefish either strait or 30in behind a small sling blade. Procure sent helps alot too.

troutsavvy
04-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Casting: Silver and blue kastmasters if the water is clear, gold if it is cloudy. Trolling: Pink&purple hoochy or a small rapala behind a dodger. At higher elevations (3-5K) Panther Martins are magic. I like the silver spoon with the red stripes (fish usually do too!).

padrino
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
naked shad
and
crawler with a dodger