PDA

View Full Version : New shoot thru hull transducer

FishNick
05-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Well after finally given up on my broken transducer have a new one on the way any I am gonna mount it in a pvc pipe filled with antifreeze and cap it anyone have any experience with this type of mount thanks.

ReelJerks
05-02-2011, 10:34 AM
Well after finally given up on my broken transducer have a new one on the way any I am gonna mount it in a pvc pipe filled with antifreeze and cap it anyone have any experience with this type of mount thanks.

Nick is that an option given by the manufacturer? What is the hull material and which ducer did you order?

RJ

FishNick
05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Hi there the Fishfinder I have is a Eagle Fishmark 640c i go the shoot thru hull type transducer, and after reading posts on boat forums this seems to be the way to go plus you have the ability to move the ducer the only thing glued is the pvc, just dont want to mount the ducer and not be able to move it without damage for future projects ect. Oh the hull is fiberglass 19.6 Bayliner.

ReelJerks
05-02-2011, 07:20 PM
Yes that method does work for fiberglass hulls. You must be careful to use an environmentally friendly antifreeze which you can find at any marine supply store.
Good luck with the install and don't forget to post pics of your progress.

RJ

FishNick
05-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Thanks alot man I was leaning toward the non toxic antifreeze the mineral oil idk but seems thick you know.
Nick

ReelJerks
05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks alot man I was leaning toward the non toxic antifreeze the mineral oil idk but seems thick you know.
NickI have heard some scary things about mineral oil reactions......do some serious Google research b4 using mineral oil.

RJ

CPR
05-19-2011, 08:10 AM
IF that bayliner is a foam injected core, then your going to have to remove the inner fiberglass layer and the foam core and mount it on the outerfiberglass layer. So you will have a weak spot in your hull. I would recommend a transome mount if Bayliner uses that type of construction.

Semperfifishing
06-22-2011, 07:30 PM
I have heard some scary things about mineral oil reactions......do some serious Google research b4 using mineral oil.

RJ

Another option and is used by Airmar on commercial transducers is castor oil.