PDA

View Full Version : Folsom Lake

Jcat
05-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I dont know how you guy's feel about Folsom lake, but i will will never go back!
Is sad that people can be so rude. Iam off to one side not even in main body of the lake and this fool comes from way across the lake, does a run at me doing aleast 40 mph just to be an ($%$#@&^%). I thought for sure he was going to run me over. Next time i go out, iam heading to the high country. In my younger years i would have chased him down, now just have to let it go :krzyhunter4ez:

Jcat

Captn ofthe Crest
05-04-2011, 01:48 PM
If the outside temp is over 75 you can expect that at Folsom. No respect! That is why I do not fish that lake mid day. My advice, fish from 6:00am til 11:00am. Nobody on the water and fast limits.

LURKER916
05-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Try being on a kayak when that same bastado goes by in a wake boarding boat with music a blaring............and you are fishing....

Welcome to a kayak fishermans world if he gets caught on a lake too late.....
The American River around the mouth is almost like a lake already with all the boats...
What's it gonna look like this summer?

AnglingWes
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
This weekend is going to be a zoo out there with the first taste of summer weather. Discovery Launch also reopened this week downtown, so plan for the lice to be aplenty on the river as well.

As for the music, I think the fish may enjoy a little culture now and then. :cheesy:

Trickytrucker
05-04-2011, 05:37 PM
If the outside temp is over 75 you can expect that at Folsom. No respect! That is why I do not fish that lake mid day. My advice, fish from 6:00am til 11:00am. Nobody on the water and fast limits.

Fast limits? Please explain.
Thanks

Jcat
05-04-2011, 06:17 PM
I hear that, you must know of a good spot, but i will try it again...on the water at 0600 somewhere lol :runningdog:

troutsavvy
05-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Hit Folsom today at 0600. First boat out of Brown's Ravine. Trolled the Horseshoe Bar leg from the buoys to the rapids. Nothing shaking, no bumps, nada. Water is very cold up this arm, around 45 degrees on top.That's about 10 degrees cooler than the main body of the lake. 1000 yards from the rapids the current is so fast you can drift on the return trip. Trolled both on top as well as 5-10-15 ft with DRs. I think somebody dropped a neutron bomb that killed everything except quacking geese.

Best thing is that I was the only boat up there for 2 hours. Everybody else got some sleep.

I may try the Salmon Falls arm on Saturday. That's the only place I have ever had any (good) luck. Or maybe Horseshoe Bar again. Roast goose for Mother's Day Dinner?

Captn ofthe Crest
05-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Rapalas naked on top of 40-50ft. I troll bank lines from Browns to the South West side of the lake (never up river) and never on a rigger. I got two 16-18" trout inside of Browns buoy line on my way back into the dock at 10:30am, left my lines out just for fun. This lake is tough for many but I love it. The only Skunk I have had was a month ago when I ventured all the way up the North Fork. Fish early, find the rocky points and make a couple passes.

Captn-

troutsavvy
05-05-2011, 02:18 PM
I prefer going without the riggers as well, but nothing was jumping and I had already tried on top. So you troll from the Marina basically along Dike 8 or whatever the politically correct name for the southern rock dam is now? Do you use any procure on the lure (like herring, etc)? I have actually done okay (1-2 fish per trip) up Salmon Falls but thought I would try the other arm for grins.

thanks for the info, I will give it a try in a day or two.

jpearce
05-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Fished my usual spot near the dam today, 9:30 to 1 pm. It was great Monday, but nary a bite today. That's Folsom Lake.... on one day, off the next. No skiiers today, and only one other boat joined for a little while. Talked to another boat at the dock, and they didn't have any luck either.

kmack
05-06-2011, 07:29 AM
fished Folsom 5/4 up the south fork nothing.. there's alot of moss small wood getting on the D/R lines and cold water 50 degrees may try back at the dam for now. good luck out there, Ken