PDA

View Full Version : Water exporters sue to end commercial ocean salmon season

calamari
05-07-2011, 07:45 AM
qwtywyeururirioe

CRABBY
05-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I know this should be elsewhere but I'll let the moderators move it. This affects all salmon fishermen but is started aimed at the ocean commercial fishermen.
In the same way water exporters successfully sued about regulations protecting striped bass, a new lawsuit has been filed by water users challenging this years commercial salmon season for the same reason. Their argument is, "Why do you limit our water exports and expect us to do studies about their effects on endangered salmon when you allow salmon to be caught and kept by commercial fishermen?" They will file suit against DFG for the recreational season soon if they haven't already and will be successful in the same way they were with stripers.
Remember who supports water exports when you vote next time. For example, Tom McClintock thinks every drop of water that goes through the Carquinez Straights is wasted because it doesn't go to Southern Calif.
Here's the story.
Lawsuit seeks to stop salmon fishing, just as normal season gets underway for first time in four years - Inside Bay Area (http://www.insidebayarea.com/top-stories/ci_18011492)

Good info an post.!..IMO...Don

Big Game
05-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Thanks Cal. Will research.
Big Game

westcoastborn
05-08-2011, 09:33 PM
Unfortunately, I have to agree with the lawsuit in some extent. Why would we have a commercial salmon season when we have yet to see significant rises in Salmon totals? The numbers have been increasing but to the number they should be at? NO. Our fishing populations need to be sustainable and currently I feel like we still need more fish in the system to support a commercial season. I know this is people's lively hood and all but can't we support a system that rises instead of declines fish populations? I am an avid fisherman, abalone diver and all I hear from my uncles, dad, fishing buddies is how big fish used to be and the vast numbers. I support not degrading our natural resources and instead promote restoration. Last weekend PBS ran a special documentary on the Bay from the earlier settlers until now. The bay used to be an amazing fishery that produced some of the best seafood in the world. After gold mining, industrialization, urban sprawl, population, I hesitate to want to eat fish from these parts that often. Sorry for jumping on my soap box, just thought I'd give my 2 cents.:violin: I would love to have the day where the fish are plentiful and big again. I may just be a dreamer!:goodidea4gq: