PDA

View Full Version : Awesome night bowfishing, wind, rain, snow, and tons of fish

jeffrm20
05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Got on the water a little after noon. Air temp was around 50 and a stiff wind all afternoon. Saw lots of fish, but spooked easily. Real hard to see with the choppy water. Shot a few. Fired up the bbq on the boat and waited for the sun to go down.

The sun took the wind with it and the water was beautiful. Immediately we were on fish, and that's how the entire night went. Started raining around 10pm and the fish were still thick. Had to call it quits around 12:30 am because it was pouring and freezing. Had to leave the fish, hard call but not worth ruining equipment over.

Got home and it was dumping snow. Woke up this morning to a foot of snow on the boat. Best bowfishing in a while!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/xtremelevelcustoms/IMG-20110514-00113.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/xtremelevelcustoms/IMGP0141.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/xtremelevelcustoms/IMGP0161.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/xtremelevelcustoms/IMGP0180.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/xtremelevelcustoms/IMGP0181.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DozIBrMFIio

Just_a_Hack
05-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Bowfishing is a perfectly fine form of fishing provided that it is done on carp. Carp are a serious problem due to rampant overpopulation and their effect on other species. Sorry, but that's how it is and some guys just get their feelings hurt over pictures of bow fishing. It's the visual problem where fishies are cuter than wild pigs, so you would never go on a website and whine about someone shooting feral pigs that are running around destroying things, but the poor carp! My goodness!

AnglingWes
05-16-2011, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure where the line is between fishing and hunting. There seems to be a substantial overlap between members of each community. I guess if we used a giant hook on a winch to throw at deer and drag them back to the "hunter" we could call it land fishing.

Bow fishing, shrimping and crabing with traps, noodling, and frog spearing are all just as much angling as fishing with a rod and reel in my book.

jeffrm20
05-16-2011, 09:04 AM
It does benefit the bass fisherman immensely (as myself am one)

I am more of a fisherman than a bowfisherman. I just like to do my part to help eradicate the invasive species what are destroying our waters

Here is a good summary of what carp do to our waters CarpBusters.com (http://carpbusters.com/)

mojo209
05-16-2011, 10:12 AM
I wanna learn how to shoot a bow, I see soooo many carp where i go fishing

MarkdaShark19
05-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Awesome report man! I want to get out there some day to give bow fishing a try. Looks like a lot of fun.

CRABBY
05-16-2011, 04:02 PM
It does benefit the bass fisherman immensely (as myself am one)

I am more of a fisherman than a bowfisherman. I just like to do my part to help eradicate the invasive species what are destroying our waters

Here is a good summary of what carp do to our waters CarpBusters.com (http://carpbusters.com/)

Keep up the good work Jeff,I haven't bow-fished in many years but man was it a challenge lot of skill involved an the right gear,as Wes said it's just another form of fishing,good luck on your next trip...Don

KW1
05-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I think that someone is always out there to rain on your parade , bow fishing is a perfectly fine way to fish in my book as long as it is legal , I imagine it is a tough thing to do and if any of you have been to the lake in the summer you know there is of thousands and thousands of carp in there and we need to control the population somehow .

jeffrm20
05-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Common carp disrupt other game fish nests. They root around in vegetation, unrooting it. They root in the mud,rocks and silt, stirring up the water making it uninhabitable for other fish and plants to thrive in. And also in turn decreases in oxygen levels in the water.

Here are a bunch of studies with research and info. Ive taken lots of time reading up on studies. I have pictures of before and after of a lake that had thousands of carp removed. It literally went from brown to blue after two years

http://carpbusters.com/studies_info.shtml

GNappers
05-16-2011, 06:58 PM
There is a lake South of Salinas whose name I cannot remember. I was there 5-6 years ago and there were ton of carp jumping all over the place. Talked to a guy who said that the bass tournament the week before was a bust and no one caught a thing. The DFG was going around with there shock boat trying to eradicate/control the carp since they had had a negative effect on the population of other species of fish. I believe they were eating the eggs of other fish. I think that Jeff is doing a noble thing and wonder why people always have to reply negatively on this board, it's almost makes me want to not post anymore or even visit this site.

jeffrm20
05-16-2011, 07:30 PM
There is a lake South of Salinas whose name I cannot remember. I was there 5-6 years ago and there were ton of carp jumping all over the place. Talked to a guy who said that the bass tournament the week before was a bust and no one caught a thing. The DFG was going around with there shock boat trying to eradicate/control the carp since they had had a negative effect on the population of other species of fish. I believe they were eating the eggs of other fish. I think that Jeff is doing a noble thing and wonder why people always have to reply negatively on this board, it's almost makes me want to not post anymore or even visit this site.

I do respect peoples opinions on it. I myself don't like hunting deer etc.

I just prefer everyone know the facts on it and what's true and what's not. I'd like bowfishing to be allowed on the Sniffer. Since a few other fishing forums I belong to does not allow the discussion of it.

CRABBY
05-16-2011, 08:14 PM
I do respect peoples opinions on it. I myself don't like hunting deer etc.

I just prefer everyone know the facts on it and what's true and what's not. I'd like bowfishing to be allowed on the Sniffer. Since a few other fishing forums I belong to does not allow the discussion of it.

To the best of my knowledge we are allowed to post an discuss Bowfishing,it's legal,an this IS a Fishing & Hunting site,we all have our opinions about everything,However when you disrupt a perfectly good thread with your negative responses you ruin it for the poster an for the rest of us who happen to enjoy or agree with this or any other subject,this is getting real old an will NOT be tolerated any longer,your negative responses or opinions will be deleted from now on unless asked for by the poster,this is not a new rule it's been here from the beginning it just hasn't been enforced,this is a common rule on all boards,many don't post any more because they don't want to deal with the negativity from many of our members.This is the end of it,I will inform all mods to enforce it.Thanks Don

EarlyFish
05-17-2011, 12:16 AM
I've read upon the increasing rate of carp population and how many lakes had been destroyed by them since 2 years ago when I started to fish bass more. I went to Utah last summer and wanted to fish a lake that looks nice from the road, and spoke to the owner of a fly fishing tackle store of it. He informed me that the lake i've mentioned will not produce any fish due to mass destruction of carps. So with that said, I just want to say to Jeff is, "take me with you next time!" I've been thinking about saving up for a setup since last summer.

SuckerPunch
05-17-2011, 06:25 AM
I've neither read nor heard of any studies in California documenting a decline in bass and/or sunfish because of carp. Jeff, the things you wrote that carp do - decrease the water clarity, uproot the veg - are true, but strong ecosystem-level effects of those activities are usually only really pronounced in small natural lakes. There are lots of waterways in California that have little veg, are really turbid, and are full of carp, but the carp are more a symptom of a problem than the root cause (e.g., agricultural or urban pollution, really low oxygen levels). Additionally, there are plenty of waterbodies in California that have large carp populations but also have clear water and big bass populations. Finally, one species that has been documented in California to negatively affect bass (and crappie) numbers is threadfin shad - when really abundant, threadfin can outcompete baby bass for food, leaving fewer bass to reach adult size. Consequently, I think the link between killing carp for enhancing game-fish populations in California is tenuous at best.

On the other hand, in response to Big One's post (which looks like it was deleted), I can't think of any situation where carp have been beneficial to an ecosystem.

As far as a line between hunting and fishing, I really can't think of a good one. To me, the spirit of the two activities is the same - a predator chasing its prey - only the target animal and the equipment used differ. I guess that's why I have a little difficulty in understanding the appeal of bowfishing - it frequently seems like killing fish and then just throwing 'em up on the bank or into the garbage can without any demonstrable benefits to the ecosystem. Kind of like killing for the sake of killing, whereas an average hunt or fishing trip is about killing for food, although, admittedly, I can see how they both have the spirit of the chase involved.

Hopefully this won't be deleted - it's not my intention to be contentious. I'm just more curious about why people bowfish, what its appeal is - I could use some enlightenment.

CRABBY
05-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Hopefully this won't be deleted - it's not my intention to be contentious. I'm just more curious about why people bowfish, what its appeal is - I could use some enlightenment. People bowfish because it's legal an they enjoy it,not much different than hunting jackrabbits,parrie dogs etc.just because someone can't understand another persons likes or dislikes it doesn't give them the right to Q them,move on to another more agreeable subject that you can relate to an like,people have a right here to post an not get put in a defensive position,they are sharing there experiences with us something they enjoy,they don't post to get negative opinions.This shouldn't be all that hard to understand....:beatdeadhorse5:

jeffrm20
05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Would it be more appropriate in the hunting section?

Here is the DFG 2011-2012 bowfishing regulation

2.25. Bow and Arrow Fishing.

Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in:

(a) Designated salmon spawning areas.
(b) The Colorado River District where only carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.
(c) See bullfrogs (Section 5.05 (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2011/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_05.html)).
(d) The East Fork Walker River between Bridgeport Dam and the Nevada State line where carp only may be taken during trout season.

fishwishin
05-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Bow and arrow fishing is permitted only for the taking of carp, goldfish, western sucker, Sacramento blackfish, hardhead, Sacramento pikeminnow and lamprey, all year, except in:

(b) The Colorado River District where only carp, tilapia, goldfish and mullet may be taken.
(c) See bullfrogs (Section 5.05 (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2011/ccr-t14-ch2-art4-sec5_05.html)).
(d) The East Fork Walker River between Bridgeport Dam and the Nevada State line where carp only may be taken during trout season.

Perfect............Thanks :thumbsup:
:cool:

CRABBY
05-17-2011, 01:21 PM
Would it be more appropriate in the hunting section?

Here is the DFG 2011-2012 bowfishing regulation

It's fine where it is,or you can post it there also,we are real easy on where you post stuff,put it where you think it will generate the most activity....Don

EarlyFish
05-17-2011, 09:51 PM
I was on YouTube and found some vids on bowfishing/bowhunting. Did you know that some area, people bowhunt rabbits for fun and sport, not for food (usually, when you think of killing, you think of providing food on the table)? From some readings, some area are highly populated with rabbits that they are catagorized as rodents. So, isn't bowhunting rabbits the same as bowfishing carp?

jeffrm20
05-18-2011, 07:10 AM
I was on YouTube and found some vids on bowfishing/bowhunting. Did you know that some area, people bowhunt rabbits for fun and sport, not for food (usually, when you think of killing, you think of providing food on the table)? From some readings, some area are highly populated with rabbits that they are catagorized as rodents. So, isn't bowhunting rabbits the same as bowfishing carp?

I'd say yes if they are a nuisance and are destroying an area where othere things wont be able to inhabit or eat. If carp were really a normal edible food I would definitely be frying them up!

shadbuster
05-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Probably impossible to get rid of carp, bowfishing isn't even going to put a dent in their population, nothing wrong with doing it. As for carp destroying the environment, I think they have done the damage they were going to do, after all they have been here for over a hundred years. As far as them being a invasive species, almost all our gamefish are invasive species imported from the east coast and have harmed the environment here in one way or another, advocating the destruction of one species because of the damage to the environment can open the flood gates to destruction of other more desirable imported species as is currently happening with the striped bass.

jeffrm20
05-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Here is the picture I was looking for

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/41004_108020805922480_108020629255831_65439_107237 _n.jpg

AnglingWes
05-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Here is the picture I was looking for

That's pretty crazy.

StikMan Modesto CA
05-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Make sure deer season is not open when you are using your spotlight and hunting. Different regulations apply depending on where you are hunting with a light. Other then this word of caution go kill em! I have shot them and its fun!
According to the Fish and Game Code, section 2005, “It is unlawful to use or possess at any time any infrared or similar light used in connection with an electronic viewing device or any night vision equipment, optical devices, including, but not limited to, binoculars or scopes that use light-amplifying circuits that are electrical or battery powered, to assist in the taking of birds, mammals, amphibians or fish.”
There are areas where use of lights are permitted. Check your regs.
In Zones 1 and 2, a weapon-mounted light of any size could be used so long as it was not a prohibited device (as described under the FGC, section 2005[c]). A weapon-mounted light would not be lawful in the Balance of the State Zone. In the Balance of the State, lights must be a maximum of 9-volts with self-contained batteries, and must be either hand-held or worn on your head (CCR, Title 14, section 264.5).
There are also quite a few areas in the state where night hunting is prohibited completely, such as parts of San Benito and Monterey counties (CCR, Title14, section 263). There are also different areas with complete closure zones, so be sure to check for those as well (CCR, Title14, section 474).

§264. Use of Lights While Hunting--Specific Areas.
(a) Lights of any size or voltage may be used to take furbearing or nongame mammals only in the areas described in subsections (b) and (c) below, and only under the following conditions:
(1) The use of lights for night hunting is prohibited in any area where the general deer season is open.
(2) Furbearing mammals and nongame mammals may be taken with the aid of a spotlight or other artificial light operated from a vehicle provided such vehicle is stopped and standing with the motor off. No spotlight may be used from a vehicle which is on a public road or highway.
(b) Zone 1. (Portions of Butte, Colusa, Glenn, Placer, Sacramento, Sutter, Tehama, Yolo and Yuba counties.)
Area: Within the boundary beginning at the junction of Interstate 880 and Interstate 5 near Sacramento; east on Interstate 880 to its junction with Interstate 80; north and east on Interstate 80 to its junction with Highway 65 near Roseville, along Highway 65 to its junction with Highway 20 at Marysville; west on Highway 20 to its junction with Highway 45; north on Highway 45 to its junction with Highway 162; east on Highway 162 to its junction with Highway 99; north on Highway 99 to South Avenue near the town of Corning; west on South Avenue to Interstate 5 in Corning; north on Interstate 5 to Corning Road; west on Corning Road to Paskenta Road; west on the Paskenta Road to the town of Paskenta; southwest on the Round Valley Road to the Garland Road; south on the Garland Road to the town of Newville; south on the Newville-Elk Creek Road to the town of Elk Creek; south on the Elk Creek-Stonyford Road to the town of Stonyford; south on the Stonyford-Leesville Road to the town of Ladoga; south on the Stonyford-Leesville Road to the town of Leesville; south from Leesville on the Bear Valley Road to its intersection with Highway 20; east on Highway 20 to its intersection with Highway 16; south and east on Highway 16 to its intersection with Interstate 5; east on Interstate 5 to Interstate 880 and the point of beginning.
(c) Zone 2. (Portions of Inyo, Kern, Los Angeles, Mono and San Bernardino counties and all of Imperial, Orange, Riverside and San Diego counties.)
Area: Inyo, Mono and Kern counties south and east of a line beginning at the junction of Highway 182 and the California-Nevada state line; south on Highway 182 to its junction with Highway 395; south on Highway 395 to its intersection with Highway 168 at Bishop; west on Highway 168 to its intersection with the Inyo National Forest boundary; south on the Inyo National Forest boundary to its junction with County Highway J41; south and east on County Highway J41 to its junction with Highway 395; south on Highway 395 to its junction with Highway 14 near Inyokern; south on Highway 14 to its junction with Highway 178 at Freeman; west on Highway 178 to its junction with the Bodfish-Caliente Road at Isabella; south on the Bodfish-Caliente Road to its junction with Highway 58; east on Highway 58 to its junction with the Los Angeles Aqueduct; south and west on the Los Angeles Aqueduct Road to its junction with 265th Street West near Neenach; south on 265th Street West to its junction with the Elizabeth Lake-Pine Canyon Road at Three Points; east along the Elizabeth Lake-Pine Canyon Road to its junction with Highway 14 at Palmdale; south on Highway 14 to its intersection with the Angeles Forest Highway; south on the Angeles Forest Highway to the Mill Creek Summit Road; east and south on the Mill Creek Summit Road to its intersection with the Angeles Crest Highway (Highway 2) at Upper Chilao Campground; east on the Angeles Crest Highway to its intersection with the Los Angeles-San Bernardino county line; north on the Los Angeles-Kern-San Bernardino county line to its intersection with Highway 58; east on Highway 58 to its intersection with the range line between R3W and R4W; south along the range line between R3W and R4W to the southeast corner of T8N, R4W; east along T8N to its intersection with the west boundary of the U.S. Marine Corps Training Center; south and east on that boundary to its intersection with Giant Rock Road; east along Giant Rock Road to a point where it turns southeast and corresponding with a projected north extension of Sunfair Road; south on Sunfair Road and its projected extension to the San Bernardino-Riverside county line; and all of Imperial, Orange, Riverside and San Diego counties.
Certificate of Compliance as to 6-24-85 order transmitted to OAL 9-30-85 and filed 11-1-85.
§264.5. Use of Lights While Hunting--Remainder of State.
Lights may be used, in those portions of the state not listed in Section 264, to take furbearers and nongame mammals under the following conditions only:
(a) Only 9 volt lights or smaller, hand-held or worn on the head are permitted.
(b) Persons using such lights must be on foot.
(c) Lights may not be used in or from a vehicle and may not be attached or powered from any source other than self-contained batteries.
(d) A landowner or tenant suffering damage to livestock or other property by furbearing mammals or nongame mammals may designate, in writing, persons allowed by such landowner or tenant to use artificial lights in excess of 9 volts to assist in taking the depredating mammals. The landowner or tenants shall notify the closest fish and game office whenever furbearing or nongame mammals are taken under this authority.
No furbearing or nongame mammals including any threatened, endangered or fully protected species may be taken contrary to any other prohibition set forth in these regulations.
Certificate of Compliance as to 6-24-85 order transmitted to OAL 9-30-85 and filed 11-1-85.

Hamachi_Kama
06-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Great report and killer video montage.

What band did you use in your montage? That song rocks!

And oh yeah, I don't hunt, but bowfishin looks "killer." ;)

jeffrm20
06-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Great report and killer video montage.

What band did you use in your montage? That song rocks!

And oh yeah, I don't hunt, but bowfishin looks "killer." ;)

Hunters and Collectors - Running Water

I'm not much of a hunter either, but I like to protect my bass!