PDA

View Full Version : Strategies for Muddy/ Murky Water

hanahou7
05-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any strategies for fishing muddy or murky waters. Weather has been strange lately; light rains and wind have muddied some waters, and was wondering whether bait or bright lures would work better.

Any advice would be really helpful!

Jester83
05-18-2011, 02:25 PM
:skunk29gc:

Scent!
Cod liver oil and garlic do the trick for me.
I'm sure most off the shelf stuff works fine but I am a cheap a$$.

hanahou7
05-18-2011, 02:42 PM
:skunk29gc:

Scent!
Cod liver oil and garlic do the trick for me.
I'm sure most off the shelf stuff works fine but I am a cheap a$$.

Thanks! That is what I thought, but was not sure if maybe some lures in certain colors could work better. I guess bait dunking this weekend will have to do. Nice Striper btw...is that at Los Vaqueros?

Jetspray
05-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Something that is shiny for merky waters if trolling, the bigger the flash the more you will draw. That is why flashers/dodgers work well in those condtions. As far as scent it does work the more the merrier, I use powerbait with gulp around it, that gives off scent (sliding sinker rigs with #14 trebble hooks 18 inches up):oldangryman::signfishon34hi6zv:.......Jetspray

hanahou7
05-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks! That is a lot of help. I will try that out.

Big Game
05-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Something that is shiny for merky waters if trolling, the bigger the flash the more you will draw. That is why flashers/dodgers work well in those condtions. As far as scent it does work the more the merrier, I use powerbait with gulp around it, that gives off scent (sliding sinker rigs with #14 trebble hooks 18 inches up):oldangryman::signfishon34hi6zv:.......Jetspray
Spray, really? I have heard the opposite from some trolling Gurus like Seps - Dull Flashers in murky conditions and you don't want a lot of "shine" because it spooks the fish but more of a "vibration" instead. I never use Chrome unless the water is crystal clear, and mostly use brass or brass / nickle finish. Just my 10 cents.
Big Game

Duffel bag
05-18-2011, 11:24 PM
I have caught a lot of trout and salmon on spinners, in water that had zero visibility. I used to live in Alaska and fished rivers that were full of glacier silt, you couldnít see a lure that was 1 inch under the water. Anyhow, I would always out fish people that were using other methods. Spinners put off a lot of continuous vibration and the fish doesnít need to see it to know that itís there.

Hope this helps

Duffel bag
05-18-2011, 11:29 PM
I always used flashy.

JwG
05-19-2011, 04:01 AM
I have been using scent of different kinds on everything this spring. There is always some left over on your fingers after applying it to your bait. I then wipe it up the leader, swivels, and slider and as far up my line as I can.
I think it helps, but on some days nothing does.:stomper: Good luck and "Hook 'em".

hanahou7
05-19-2011, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. This is all very helpful. Hopefully if I go this weekend I can catch some and post some pics. I just need to get out there already!

Princecraft
05-19-2011, 07:01 AM
I have taken the kids out to San Pablo Reservoir a lot over the past 3 months and the water has been aweful due to rain and runoff. Bait has definitely outfished the trolling. While trolling has not been overly successul, spinners have worked much better than spoons or worms. I too believe that the vibration given by the spinner helps draw the fish. I've been using an Uncle Larry's spinner, but big Panther Martins have done extremely well too behind a dodger. As for bait, we've gotten quick limits using a combo of Power Eggs and Gulp Worms (brown). I add a gel scent and it has worked quite well. The good thing with this bait is that you can reuse the bait; my kids caught 4 fish using the same bait. Good luck.

Blood Vessel
05-19-2011, 07:26 AM
I've had tons of success this winter switching from chrome to Gold, Brass, or Nickle flashers trailed with a worm or any of your normal trout lures. If you use a Dick Nite, Sockeye Slammer or Krocodile lure try switching to gold. Its been a killer for me. Good luck & don't be afraid to switch baits until you find what their biting on. Always play with your depths as well. Good fishermen work their ass off! Good Luck!

JwG
05-19-2011, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=Blood Vessel;821026 Good luck & don't be afraid to switch baits until you find what their biting on. Always play with your depths as well. Good fishermen work their *** off! Good Luck![/QUOTE]

Well said!!!

SuckerPunch
05-20-2011, 06:33 AM
If you're fishing shallow, spinners that are a combination of black, gold, and fluorescent chartreuse, orange, or red can be killer. These colors project well in muddy water, while the black gives good contrast when the sun's out. Going big, like with a #3 blade, isn't a bad idea, either.

Also, especially in streams, trout will often move right up onto the bank, so you really want to be fishing right by shore.