PDA

View Full Version : Eureka May 20th

MKB707
05-22-2011, 08:57 AM
Crossing the bar was life changing at best, but well worth it.
5;30 am start Limit by 9;30 I too the day off for my Bday.5167

iggybabble
05-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Quality salmon are too valuable to not bring an ice chest, or at least some ice with you........gut your fish quickly, or at least cut one of the gills to bleed the fish, and rinse them with sea water, then chill them.........I say this because I can see in both your photos, that the fishes weren't handled really well! The fish you are holding has the skin badly dried out! The better you can take care of them, the better eating they will be! Congratulations on the nice fish, by the way!

canuhover
05-24-2011, 06:55 AM
Crossing the bar was life changing at best, but well worth it.
5;30 am start Limit by 9;30 I too the day off for my Bday.

Nice fish MKB and on your B-day no less. I have a friend living in Fortuna and thought I would drag the boat to his place for a little Salmon fishing. Is the bar crossing out of Humbolt sketchy? Do you know if it gets closed often?

MKB707
05-24-2011, 07:33 AM
Yes Iggy Idid cut gills and had wet while out but fish dried while washing boat
Will be more careful next time. First trip this year. Tasted pretty good to me.
Can, Jaws not always bad to cross if you watch tides. We didnt. Ha Ha.
Have fun be safe catch fish.
Mike.

GNappers
05-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice job getting a limit. Last year with a suggestion from a friend we started gilling and gutting the fish on the water in between bites. Makes the ice chest a lot cleaner. Once caught the fish went right on ice if we didn't have time to clean them. This makes the meat firmer and easier to fillet. I also try not to rinse them too much because they tend to become mushy. We also carry some rock salt and add salt water to the ice wich is colder then a witches............

iggybabble
06-02-2011, 09:50 AM
Wet burlap bags placed over the fish, and 2 liter plastic soda bottles filled with water and frozen work well!