PDA

View Full Version : Stinger hooks for halibut? yay or nay?

Scotthmt
05-27-2011, 01:10 PM
I have heard some people swear by stingers for halibut due to short strikes, and ihave heard of other people say they arent necessary. I got some short strikes today where the rod went bendo but by the time i picked it up the bait was gone and the fish was off, this is making me think about using a stinger, what say ye?

FishAddict707
05-27-2011, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=Scotthmt;822326]I have heard some people swear by stingers for halibut due to short strikes, and ihave heard of other people say they arent necessary. I got some short strikes today where the rod went bendo but by the time i picked it up the bait was gone and the fish was off, this is making me think about using a stinger, what say ye?[/QU

wait a litltle longer to set the hook.. be paitient

Ondabank
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
I have heard some people swear by stingers for halibut due to short strikes, and ihave heard of other people say they arent necessary. I got some short strikes today where the rod went bendo but by the time i picked it up the bait was gone and the fish was off, this is making me think about using a stinger, what say ye?

I would have to say yes just because I can't see a reason why you wouldn't. You might need to be more diligent about checking bait to make sure it stays alive but we have had experiences where we got hit and reel up and the back half of the bait was gone. Better safe than sorry I say

GillzNfinz925
05-28-2011, 02:25 PM
I use a stinger hook when the fish are short striken but not all the time. I think a stinger takes some action out of the live bait.(To many hooks in that little bait) Trolling is a must,70% of my fish come off that stinger.

FishingTone
05-28-2011, 07:33 PM
stringer hook depend on the baits size. The key to catch more fish is to keep the bait alive. You don't want to use a stringer hook on an anchovies. Whenever you're using live baits, always hold your rod with your tumb on the spool on a freespool and be ready give the fish some lines when you feel the bite! I use size #2 hooks on live anchovies.

Unlike striper, halibut will strike the baits with their killer teeth to hold on and kill their preys before they actually try to swallow it. Give them couple seconds.

Be patient..practices make perfect!
Good Luck!

poleposition
05-28-2011, 09:26 PM
yep always use a treble stinger hook trolling stick one of the hooks in the tail drifting live bait just let drag at end of the tail and you will absolutley catch more fish

nitty917
05-30-2011, 04:19 AM
depending on bait size id say, anchovies right now are on the smallish size.
no need, youll prob kill them. right now for the small chovies i like to hook two at a time on 1 hook. if your drifiting, when you see the rod dip, grab your rod out the holder,
feed it line asap, 2-3 pulls should give the butt enough time to swallow the bait. and its all fun from there. stinger hooks are great for trolling as the strikes may be fast.
good luck.

fish killer
06-16-2011, 08:59 PM
ha ha the things people come up with when the fish are not biting ? :love-smiley-029:

newtothegame
06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
I would say it all depends on the bait size ...right now i just used a small light wire bait hook .. i think a 2 .... no stinger ...

last year or the year before all we had was large sardines like 8" long and bigger ... i still have some leaders tied up that had 3/0 hooks for the nose and #4 trebles for stingers ....

I use stingers when fishing with tray anchovies and small sardines trolling/drifting ....

like everyone already said ... give the fish time to eat since the butts eat from tail first not like the stripers (head first) ... thus they need a minute to inhale the bait ...do not set the hook ... just a light tug for a set and you are good ..just start gently reeling it in ...otherwise you will lose more than your fair share of fish ....

good luck all!

GCinGV
06-17-2011, 06:26 AM
Whenever you're using live baits, always hold your rod with your tumb on the spool on a freespool and be ready give the fish some lines when you feel the bite! I use size #2 hooks on live anchovies.
Unlike striper, halibut will strike the baits with their killer teeth to hold on and kill their preys before they actually try to swallow it. Give them couple seconds.
Be patient..practices make perfect!
Good Luck!
This is the key when drifting with both live and dead baits. On a slow drift you can just drop your rod tip. I like to point the rod toward the bow so you have more room to drop to put slack in the line. On a fast drift disengage the reel. I give them about 4 seconds of slack then set.