PDA

View Full Version : 200 HZ Problem

Fishmeister
06-01-2011, 02:32 PM
I was out at Pardee trolling yesterday with a good 200HZ sonar reading when all of a sudden it bounced from 192 feet to 32 feet at the rock wall. I knew that was not right. Finally figured out that it had started tracking my rigger ball as the bottom. Turned it on and off a couple of times but it would lock right on to the ball. The 83HZ works fine. It is an HDS - 10 with the Lowrance transducer.

Any idea what could be happening? No 4.0 upgrade yet.

Thanks

ReelJerks
06-02-2011, 07:52 AM
I was out at Pardee trolling yesterday with a good 200HZ sonar reading when all of a sudden it bounced from 192 feet to 32 feet at the rock wall. I knew that was not right. Finally figured out that it had started tracking my rigger ball as the bottom. Turned it on and off a couple of times but it would lock right on to the ball. The 83HZ works fine. It is an HDS - 10 with the Lowrance transducer.

Any idea what could be happening? No 4.0 upgrade yet.

Thanks

First of all, obtain and run the 4.0 upgrade. Among other things it makes the unit run much faster.

Would help to know what style weights you are using and which rigger weight the HDS was locking on. I fish in water down to 250' deep or deeper but seldom are my fish that deep. I always use the 83 kHz and zoom in on my target depth.

Back to your problem.....I would figure out which weight it locked on to, then try to remember if there was any current at that point. Then check your transducer mounting angle to see if there is a bias towards that weight.

Suggestions for you would be to run in 83 kHz, choose a depth just below your target area (ie..if your fishing the 35' area of the column select 100' depth range), cut your sensitivity back a little at a time until the problem stops.

This problem seems more prevalent while running the HDS in AUTO mode. But it's not specific to the HDS or even Lowrance units. I've seen this happen on Garmin, Ray's and even Lowrance legacy units.

If you decide to switch to MANUAL mode (recommended by me) I will be glad to help you with settings.

Edd

AnglingWes
06-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Reel Jerks has a ton of experience with Lowrance units, and offers spot on advice. The only thing I would add, is that I experience this issue occasionally in 200Hz on hard bottoms. Sometimes the ping will "double echo" off the DR ball, and confuse the unit. As Edd suggested, dial back the Sens until it finds the bottom again.

Fishmeister
06-02-2011, 09:03 AM
The weight is a 12lb pancake with fin and the one being tracked is on the transducer side. The transducer is mounted verticle with no visible skew. I was in auto mode on the unit for sensitivity. It was working fine and has never done it before. I will try manual mode.

I was hesitant to install the 4.0 due to chatter on this board and others about problems with it. Is 4.0 good to go and not an issue?
Thanks

ReelJerks
06-02-2011, 09:29 AM
I was hesitant to install the 4.0 due to chatter on this board and others about problems with it. Is 4.0 good to go and not an issue?
Thanks

4.0 was never an issue with me, although I had heard of some problems from trusted sources. I would run the upgrade, and it's pretty straight forward; go here HDS ALL units - 4.0 software version and demonstration files download page | Lowrance (http://www.lowrance.com/en/Downloads/Product-Software-Updates/HDS-Software-Update/) and download to an empty SD card; then open that folder so you can see the EXE file; now with the HDS OFF, remove all cards including mapping, insert the upgrade SD and turn the HDS ON. Follow the on screen instructions to the power down. Remove the upgrade card and power up. Power down and insert your mapping cards then power up again. All done!

If you will PM me your email, I'll send you a form that helps with playing with manual settings on the HDS.

Edd

SalmoClarki
06-02-2011, 09:56 PM
I had the same prob;em with my Lowrance transducer. Since then I've switched to the Airmar P66 and the problem has gone away. You might want to wait on the 4.0 upgrade until Lowrance gets the bugs out.

ReelJerks
06-03-2011, 05:28 AM
I had the same prob;em with my Lowrance transducer. Since then I've switched to the Airmar P66 and the problem has gone away. You might want to wait on the 4.0 upgrade until Lowrance gets the bugs out.

Funny how these machines can act so differently between so many units. As I said there were NO problems with the 4.0 upgrade for me, and I installed it when Lowrance sent me the first email back in March. On the same note, after the upgrade I find the HST-WSBL transducer operating better than my Airmar P-319 which has the same innards as the P66. My P-319 is not for sale now, but may soon be if I can't find a use for it. And I love being able to see ALL my downrigger pancakes...both sides.
I guess running the 4.0 is personal choice at this time because, as I said earlier, trusted sources I know, have experienced some changes afterwards.

RJ