PDA

View Full Version : Catfish Stocking?

BIG_ONE
06-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Does anyone know when do they stock catfish at the public park in Sacramento? The DFG site isn't telling much so I am wondering if anyone have caught any or know the date they start the plant. Thanks.
:angling:

tonsofun
06-03-2011, 08:10 PM
I dont think they have started yet do to weather. I called the number and they said when t-hey would- start. Cant remember but they werent planting alot like they use to. Heres the number. 916-358-2872 listen to the message. Hope this helped

Bigg A
06-04-2011, 04:16 AM
I dont think they have started yet do to weather. I called the number and they said when t-hey would- start. Cant remember but they werent planting alot like they use to. Heres the number. 916-358-2872 listen to the message. Hope this helped

My friend said something like 1 pond per week

BIG_ONE
06-04-2011, 07:50 AM
My friend said something like 1 pond per week

Last summer, they plant every Friday morning or evening. If they don't plant on Friday then they will plant early morning on Saturday. They plant William Land Park, Howe Park, Elk Grove Park, and Hagan Park every single week. DFG isn't the one who is doing the catfish stocking anymore, it is now the city hiring a private farm to stock for them. Which explains the number of fish being stock, and the size of the fish. Only the DFG stocks the trout during winter. From last time I've talked to one of the guys who is unloading the fish, they say every pond gets about 200-400 pounds only. That's very little compare to when DFG use to stock about 800-1200lbs. Remember those large container that they use to bring up to the pond and dump like 3-4 of them? Those are DFG stocking...now it's only a big white truck w/ a net.
:foottap:

stpritch
06-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Great info...thanks.

Jfitalia
06-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Last summer, they plant every Friday morning or evening. If they don't plant on Friday then they will plant early morning on Saturday. They plant William Land Park, Howe Park, Elk Grove Park, and Hagan Park every single week. DFG isn't the one who is doing the catfish stocking anymore, it is now the city hiring a private farm to stock for them. Which explains the number of fish being stock, and the size of the fish. Only the DFG stocks the trout during winter. From last time I've talked to one of the guys who is unloading the fish, they say every pond gets about 200-400 pounds only. That's very little compare to when DFG use to stock about 800-1200lbs. Remember those large container that they use to bring up to the pond and dump like 3-4 of them? Those are DFG stocking...now it's only a big white truck w/ a net.
:foottap:

Fish and game hasnt been stocking these ponds for almost 10 years now..... I used to do all the fishing clinics for the fishing in the city programme starting in 1995 and I stopped in 2003. They were using private farms such as Calaveras back in 2000.

Bigg A
06-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Last summer, they plant every Friday morning or evening. If they don't plant on Friday then they will plant early morning on Saturday. They plant William Land Park, Howe Park, Elk Grove Park, and Hagan Park every single week.

Things have changed.....The month of June is spread out to 1 pond a week like I mentioned before. July and august are to be announced they said after the new budget. Hagan is to be stocked this week....:winkfs:

Bigg A
06-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Fish and game hasnt been stocking these ponds for almost 10 years now..... I used to do all the fishing clinics for the fishing in the city program starting in 1995 and I stopped in 2003. They were using private farms such as Calaveras back in 2000.

I remember those days...... weightless chicken liver and Kickin trout. We had alot of fun back then....Howe Park Slayers!!!!!...lol!!! :cheesy:

Jfitalia
06-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I remember those days...... weightless chicken liver and Kickin trout. We had alot of fun back then....Howe Park Slayers!!!!!...lol!!! :cheesy:

haha you know it! man you can still buy that stuff in i think cabelas...

BIG_ONE
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Things have changed.....The month of June is spread out to 1 pond a week like I mentioned before. July and august are to be announced they said after the new budget. Hagan is to be stocked this week....:winkfs:
So the word is that Hagen will be stock this week? Did you contact them? What about all the other ponds...William Land, Howe, and Elk Grove? Shouldn't they plant at least all 4 ponds at 1 time?

stpritch
06-07-2011, 11:00 AM
You should call the #. They are stocking 1 a week. They give the approx schedule for the month.

BIG_ONE
06-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Darn, Just gave a ring and I guess the weekly plant for all 4 ponds in Sacramento won't be until July or August. Can't wait...

johnyee1
06-07-2011, 02:01 PM
If I remember the message correctly, they are planting william land park before June 18th and Howe park before June 30th.

BIG_ONE
06-07-2011, 02:14 PM
If I remember the message correctly, they are planting william land park before June 18th and Howe park before June 30th.

Yup, so that means Friday morning or evening.

johnyee1
06-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Yup, so that means Friday morning or evening.

Is it pretty definite on friday? Seems like they would just say they are stocking on the 17th if they were going to do that. For trout, they usually stocked on monday or tuesday and they would say they will stock for "the week of" instead of before.

I haven't fished for stocked catfish before. What do you guys use? Nightcrawlers, sardines, or stink bait? Sardines on a bobber with about 2-3 feet leader? Or would you just cast a piece of sardine and let it sit on the bottom using a slip sinker or no weight at all? Early morning or closer to sunset?

BIG_ONE
06-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Last summer they always seem to plant on Friday, so I'm assuming its going to be Friday again as well. You can use sardines under a bobber, about two feet below your bobber. Chicken livers works as well, you can fish it weightless and just let it sit on the bottom or put on a split shot. I usually fish them weightless and pay attention to my line. Once the line moves then its a fish. But for some reason, night crawlers and other bait doesn't work as well(anything not meaty doesn't work too good).

WhopperStopper
06-10-2011, 08:46 PM
Sardines, chicken liver, or vienna sausages!! Go weightless if you can which is usually most of the time in the small city ponds unless there is wind.

Bigg A
06-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Last summer they always seem to plant on Friday, so I'm assuming its going to be Friday again as well. You can use sardines under a bobber, about two feet below your bobber. Chicken livers works as well, you can fish it weightless and just let it sit on the bottom or put on a split shot. I usually fish them weightless and pay attention to my line. Once the line moves then its a fish. But for some reason, night crawlers and other bait doesn't work as well(anything not meaty doesn't work too good).

I thought so too.....I planned on taking my son out in the morning to hagan until my friend called and told me that it was stocked on wednesday. He said he had been there for 2 hours today and seen only 4 caught. One guy that was there told him one angler left with 20 the day before. Oh well......guess I'll wait till they do Howe park.:happy:

BIG_ONE
06-24-2011, 04:59 PM
As what I know, they usually plant on Friday morning or evening. But since I'm seeing the schedule plant on the DFG site saying "Week Before". Does this mean it gets plant on Wednesday? Since Bigg Ant says that Hagen got planted on Wednesday, and Hagen is one of those schedule that have a listing as the "Week Before". Went check out yesterday on Elk Grove Park, asked a local fisherman and said it is stocked on Wednesday morning as well. Elk Grove Park is also one of the pond with a schedule that says the "Week Before". But here's the thing where I don't understand about Howe Park. The schedule plant for Howe Park is on the 30th, and that is a Thursday. As far the other schedule with the "Week Before", their date is on a Saturday. So is Howe Park going to be plant on Wednesday as well? Or is it going to be before Wednesday? Or will it be plant on a Monday since on every date as scheduled that say the "Week Before" is usually stocked into the pond 2 days before.

Ex: Wednesday(stock date) - Thursday(1) - Friday(2) - Saturday(date scheduled)

Since the schedule date is on a Thursday the 30th, is it going to be on a Monday?

Ex: Monday(stock date) - Tuesday(1) - Wednesday(2) - Thursday(date scheduled)

Here's the schedule as listed on the DFG site - Fishing in the City - Sacramento (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishinginthecity/sac/)

rblenio
06-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Elk grove park is stocked every Friday.Half of the fish are planted in the pond by the stage and the other half down by the boat house.Nice size catfish.

Bigg A
06-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Elk grove park is stocked every Friday.Half of the fish are planted in the pond by the stage and the other half down by the boat house.Nice size catfish.

How do you figure that? Why would the fish vendor come every week to stock elkgrove and none of the other ponds? After what I saw today, I wouldn't even bother eating anything out of there anyway.

Bigg A
06-24-2011, 10:04 PM
As what I know, they usually plant on Friday morning or evening. But since I'm seeing the schedule plant on the DFG site saying "Week Before". Does this mean it gets plant on Wednesday? Since Bigg Ant says that Hagen got planted on Wednesday, and Hagen is one of those schedule that have a listing as the "Week Before". Went check out yesterday on Elk Grove Park, asked a local fisherman and said it is stocked on Wednesday morning as well. Elk Grove Park is also one of the pond with a schedule that says the "Week Before". But here's the thing where I don't understand about Howe Park. The schedule plant for Howe Park is on the 30th, and that is a Thursday. As far the other schedule with the "Week Before", their date is on a Saturday. So is Howe Park going to be plant on Wednesday as well? Or is it going to be before Wednesday? Or will it be plant on a Monday since on every date as scheduled that say the "Week Before" is usually stocked into the pond 2 days before.

Ex: Wednesday(stock date) - Thursday(1) - Friday(2) - Saturday(date scheduled)

Since the schedule date is on a Thursday the 30th, is it going to be on a Monday?

Ex: Monday(stock date) - Tuesday(1) - Wednesday(2) - Thursday(date scheduled)

Here's the schedule as listed on the DFG site - Fishing in the City - Sacramento (http://www.dfg.ca.gov/fishinginthecity/sac/)

It appears that when they have a clinic, they stock on friday like they did william land last week. Howe park is the next clinic so I'm guessing its gonna get stocked on friday as well. I don't think they would come on wednesday and let the pond get raped 3 days before the clinic. Me and my boys made it to the william land stocking.....:bananachaga:

BIG_ONE
06-24-2011, 10:45 PM
It appears that when they have a clinic, they stock on friday like they did william land last week. Howe park is the next clinic so I'm guessing its gonna get stocked on friday as well. I don't think they would come on wednesday and let the pond get raped 3 days before the clinic. Me and my boys made it to the william land stocking.....:bananachaga:

I can see where your coming from here as well. But it also appears that the "Week Before" schedules gets stocked on Wednesday. And Howe Park is one of them. But here's the thing, the other schedules landed on a Saturday. But Howe Park gets landed on a Thursday. So the "Week Before" on a Thursday schedule, when is this plant really going to be happening?

Bigg A
06-25-2011, 07:41 AM
I can see where your coming from here as well. But it also appears that the "Week Before" schedules gets stocked on Wednesday. And Howe Park is one of them. But here's the thing, the other schedules landed on a Saturday. But Howe Park gets landed on a Thursday. So the "Week Before" on a Thursday schedule, when is this plant really going to be happening?

Until they change that message I'm assuming that the fish vendor will stock on wednesdays or fridays if there's a scheduled clinic for a saturday. I wouldn't bother too much with what that message says, so far hagan and elkgrove were both done on a wednesday and william on a friday followed by a saturday clinic. With 1200 pounds of fish being stocked, even if you miss it by a day....you'll still be able to go out the next couple of days and catch a few. Since the kids are out of school it's a blast watching them reel in some nice 2-6 pounders and since the fish are starving when he dumps them, they don't miss too many. Only problem is dad's finger get's roughed up and crunched on removing hooks...:grin:

BIG_ONE
06-25-2011, 11:46 AM
I guess we'll have to see...if anyone else knows the exact stock date please share. :dankk2:

Bigg A
06-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I guess we'll have to see...if anyone else knows the exact stock date please share. :dankk2:

Well guess what?.....They stocked howe this morning. I received a call around 10 or so and quickly put some work off to the side, grabbed the boys and the mrs. and headed out. Freakin madhouse out there :cheesy: Fish were being pulled in left and right...literally!!!! People had lost there manners and respect and basically didnt care if they were crossing you or stepping right in your spot after you caught a fish. Clearly some of these guys have never tasted catfish before :smiley: The funny thing is....Howe is on the list for a clinic this saturday....wonder how that's gonna work out with no fish left in the pond :grin:

BIG_ONE
06-29-2011, 09:48 PM
Well guess what?.....They stocked howe this morning. I received a call around 10 or so and quickly put some work off to the side, grabbed the boys and the mrs. and headed out. Freakin madhouse out there :cheesy: Fish were being pulled in left and right...literally!!!! People had lost there manners and respect and basically didnt care if they were crossing you or stepping right in your spot after you caught a fish. Clearly some of these guys have never tasted catfish before :smiley: The funny thing is....Howe is on the list for a clinic this saturday....wonder how that's gonna work out with no fish left in the pond :grin:

Check PM...:signfishon34hi6zv:

Jfitalia
06-29-2011, 10:12 PM

Thats just sad man!!! Too bad all those kids these weekend wont catch anything. Man I need to go fish ASAP but my GF and I have been busy trying to buy our first house. I never realized how much time this was gonna take! Dude you gotta sneak me out fishing!!! haha

BIG_ONE
07-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Anyone knows whats going on with the schedule now? It's not being posted up anymore...so is it now a weekly stocking or something?

Bigg A
07-17-2011, 07:57 AM
Anyone knows whats going on with the schedule now? It's not being posted up anymore...so is it now a weekly stocking or something?

It's on the recording.....Elkgrove park is being stocked this upcoming week. It says the week of the 23rd so I think I'll take my boys down there on wednesday to be on the safe side but then again, who knows when that guy may show up.

BIG_ONE
07-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Hmm, seems like they just updated the recording. I've been calling these past few days with the same recording, but thanks again. I don't think I want to go back to Howe Park, too much for what we're fishing for.

Bigg A
07-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Hmm, seems like they just updated the recording. I've been calling these past few days with the same recording, but thanks again. I don't think I want to go back to Howe Park, too much for what we're fishing for.

That was just plain ridiculous.....that's why I didn't bother staying very long

BIG_ONE
07-17-2011, 01:19 PM
One question I have in mind though. Since the recording says that Elk Grove will be on the 23rd, but yet on the Fishing in the City website it says that Florin Creek clinic is on the 23rd as well. So are they stocking two different ponds at the same time or something? I wonder if they made a mistake on the recording...

Bigg A
07-17-2011, 04:34 PM
One question I have in mind though. Since the recording says that Elk Grove will be on the 23rd, but yet on the Fishing in the City website it says that Florin Creek clinic is on the 23rd as well. So are they stocking two different ponds at the same time or something? I wonder if they made a mistake on the recording...

I was wondering the same thing.....You ever been to florin creek park?

BIG_ONE
07-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Never been there, looks pretty dirty with a lot of snags from Google satellite map. Have you been there before?

Bigg A
07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Never been there, looks pretty dirty with a lot of snags from Google satellite map. Have you been there before?

Yeah I've been there a few times.....You think howe park was bad?...Florin creek park pond is worse!!!! It's ok for the clinic because they let kids fish only but after the clinic is over, all hell breaks loose. The pond is smaller than hagan so I'm pretty sure you can imagine what it would be like :winkfs:

BIG_ONE
07-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I'm not going to attend Florin Creek as well than...not worth it. William Land park will be my main target...much more roomy and you have shades to hide from the sun compared to Elk Grove.

WhopperStopper
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah I've been there a few times.....You think howe park was bad?...Florin creek park pond is worse!!!! It's ok for the clinic because they let kids fish only but after the clinic is over, all hell breaks loose. The pond is smaller than hagan so I'm pretty sure you can imagine what it would be like :winkfs:

Yikes! I can imagine major combat zone:shocked:

fisherman4Ever
07-22-2011, 01:05 PM
The pond is a small back yard size. Adults keep away let the kids fish... lol

BIG_ONE
07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Elk Grove is stocked this morning after they finish stocking Florin Creek for the event tomorrow. As for today stocking in Florin Creek, Game Warden will be there prohibiting anyone to fish the pond until tomorrow. As the event goes on tomorrow, no adult will be allow to fish until the clinic is done. Have a great one and stay out of trouble if anyone is going to the event tomorrow at Florin Creek park.

916shake-n-take
07-22-2011, 08:38 PM
was at florin creek this afternoon siGNs SIGNS signs (20 plus) says NO FISHING UNTIL JULY 23rd Saturday at 9am so it says pic below shows it btw i see that the pond is alive AND SURE is full of catfish hope they don't belly up in the morning or someone come stealing them (poaching at night) ... see you there tomorrroow with the other big kids