PDA

View Full Version : Trout with bread crumbs

GNappers
06-05-2011, 03:49 PM
The other day I made my own bread crumbs by putting sliced white bread in the oven to dry it. 350 * or less and flip after 10 minutes to brown both sides. Remove from oven then place in food processor to make into crumbs. Remove from processor and place in bowl which I add dry parsely and Lowry's seasoned salt to taste. This can be stored for a long period of time. 1st I prep the fish removing the skin and the bones that weren't removed during filleting then halving. In a large skillet I heat up Canola oil on high and place 3 bowls on the counter. In one I put flour, the next has egg wash (mixed eggs-whole milk-water) and the 3rd has the bread crumbs. Pat the fish dry then dip in the flower shake off the excess, then dip the half fillet in the wash, let excess drip off and dip the fish into the crumbs using a spoon to make sure fish is completely covered. With oil hot enough I gently place the fish in the pan and turn after 3-5 minutes depending on temperature of oil. The other side doesn't take as long. Once removed I place the fried fish on a plate with paper towel to remove some oil. I have used store bought bread crumbs in the past and there is no comparison when using home-made crumbs. It was good eat's.

BeefCakeScout
06-07-2011, 01:52 PM
X2 on the homemade breadcrumbs. Bagels also make fantastic bread crumbs, though I usually use sourdough. I like to throw some of my favorite fresh herbs in with the bread while it dries out, then pulse it all together.

tonsofun
06-08-2011, 11:46 AM
Didnt knbow you could fillet trout. always cooked it whole. How hard is it? How do you get all the bones out? I think i would like it alot better this way and I know my family would

BeefCakeScout
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
just like all salmonids....carefully. I like them whole though.

Fishbucket
06-09-2011, 07:08 AM
I hav'nt had fried fish in a long time. Thanks for the reminder Kevin !

Be sure to match the filet knife to the size fish. It's tough to filet a trout with a 10" knife.
Down size the knife and it will be alot easier. To get the pinbones out I use some hemostats and my reading glasses. It's alot of extra work, But it's so nice to just grub without worring about the bones.

Google fileting trout for visual aids.

GNappers
06-14-2011, 07:40 PM
A real sharp knife always makes it easier, I forgot my fillet knife so I just used the sharpest knife in the kitchen which wasn't that sharp. I fillet trout like I fillet all my fish. Start behind the pectorial fin then slide the knife along the bones towards the tail. If you want skinless don't cut all the way down and flip the fillet over so the meat point's up. Then slide the knife along the skin. I usually have to cut out some bones that surround the belly, not sure what they are called, so I just carefully slide the knife underneath the bones and separate the meat. There is also another set of bones like bucket said that point across the fishes back and are near the top. I either use some pliers or my fingers to pull them out or make a slit along 1 side of the bones and the bones usually come out easier. Always nice to eat a trout and not have to pick my teeth.

gfishes
11-20-2011, 04:08 PM
I use an electric filet knife...much easier, in my opinion to filet fish.