PDA

View Full Version : Kayak trolling for trout

dirty530
06-07-2011, 02:42 PM
I have caught bass from a kayak but I would like to know techniques/tips as well as what equipment i should use to troll for trout in my kayak. I mainly plan on trolling the s.f. of the American river. would prefer input from someone who's caught or actively catches trout via trolling from a kayak, not "i've heard this will work" suggestions.

Legalbeagle
06-07-2011, 02:55 PM
I have caught bass from a kayak but I would like to know techniques/tips as well as what equipment i should use to troll for trout in my kayak. I mainly plan on trolling the s.f. of the American river. would prefer input from someone who's caught or actively catches trout via trolling from a kayak, not "i've heard this will work" suggestions.

I troll for trout in my kayak all the time. Can't say I've ever done it on the A.R. or tributaries but have always wanted to. You can pretty much do everything you would do on a boat, in a kayak but you have to be three times as careful. I have a downrigger and a fishfinder. Depending on the lake (haven't tried a river) I go with anything from Rapalas, needlefish, Kastmasters, spinners, dodger/worm, downrigged flasher/worm or Cripplelure, etc. It's best to fish smaller bodies of water or at least make sure you launch near where you want to fish.

The thing about trolling, of course, is you need a good stretch of water to do it. Hopefully you have that on the SF AR somewhere. It seems to me trout would mainly be hiding behind or before rocks in the current on that section. If they're in a hole, dropping bait would probably be the way to go (not sure of the lure restrictions). You would need to find a stretch that doesn't have too much current and very little structure to troll. I'd say the only way to do that and successfully catch trout would be early in the AM or at dusk.

dirty530
06-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I troll for trout in my kayak all the time. Can't say I've ever done it on the A.R. or tributaries but have always wanted to. You can pretty much do everything you would do on a boat, in a kayak but you have to be three times as careful. I have a downrigger and a fishfinder. Depending on the lake (haven't tried a river) I go with anything from Rapalas, needlefish, Kastmasters, spinners, dodger/worm, downrigged flasher/worm or Cripplelure, etc. It's best to fish smaller bodies of water or at least make sure you launch near where you want to fish.

The thing about trolling, of course, is you need a good stretch of water to do it. Hopefully you have that on the SF AR somewhere. It seems to me trout would mainly be hiding behind or before rocks in the current on that section. If they're in a hole, dropping bait would probably be the way to go (not sure of the lure restrictions). You would need to find a stretch that doesn't have too much current and very little structure to troll. I'd say the only way to do that and successfully catch trout would be early in the AM or at dusk.

thanks! the s.f. of the American river (where it meets the Salmon Falls bridge and a mile upstream/downstream from there) has nice deep water with very little-no waves and a ton of trout. I would like to catch a trout via trolling from my kayak but haven't had any success yet. I know nothing about trolling so it looks like a have my homework cut out for me:/ I understand the concept of a downrigger but don't understand why i would need one for kayak fishing; i've used a 1/4oz kastmaster before with no luck.. you would think since i'm paddling at a super slow speed the kastmaster would fall/stay at a deeper depth and eliminate the need for a downrigger.. idk

LEGALBEAGLE: if you're down to go, we should meet up and fish the s.f. sometime so you can show me what's up ..

thanks for the info

sutterduckhunter
06-08-2011, 09:27 AM
I watched a guy in a Kayak at Donner last summer score several fish while trolling around. Looked like fun.

Legalbeagle
06-08-2011, 03:18 PM
thanks! the s.f. of the American river (where it meets the Salmon Falls bridge and a mile upstream/downstream from there) has nice deep water with very little-no waves and a ton of trout. I would like to catch a trout via trolling from my kayak but haven't had any success yet. I know nothing about trolling so it looks like a have my homework cut out for me:/ I understand the concept of a downrigger but don't understand why i would need one for kayak fishing; i've used a 1/4oz kastmaster before with no luck.. you would think since i'm paddling at a super slow speed the kastmaster would fall/stay at a deeper depth and eliminate the need for a downrigger.. idk

LEGALBEAGLE: if you're down to go, we should meet up and fish the s.f. sometime so you can show me what's up ..

thanks for the info

I think I would try the usual gear people use for Folsom Lake trolling on a boat. I'm no expert on Folsom. Personally, I would try a Seps dodger and a half worm. You can use that with no weight. Ive heard a Rainbow Trout pattern Rapala can also do the trick. I've heard needlefish work well in folsom but that would normally be used with a D/R or perhaps you could sting it up on the dodger. The question is what depth the fish are suspending. I rely on the FF for that and use the D/R to get down to them. If the water's cool enough and there arent' any lake lice around, they may still be near the surface. From what I hear, Folsom can take a lot of patience and you need to get on the water early. Maybe there's a lot better luck at your river inlet. Any Folsom experts our there want to chime in?

buckman78
06-08-2011, 09:32 PM
you can try trolling a raibow trout rapalla like legalbegal suggested. i troll out of a boat at folsom and that is my go to lure. just let out 100-150 feet of line and thats it. actually dont know if you even need that much out since your just paddlin. the only thing is speed. i have better luck trolling a little faster with my gas motor.
a good bit of advice, is to hold what ever you want to troll off to the side of your kayak with a little line out and start paddlin and then adjust your speed until you get the right action you want.
good luck!

Bite me
06-08-2011, 10:00 PM
I'm new to trolling also. I just got a little 8 foot bass raider boat and a minn Kota c2 trolling motor and I love it. I've had good luck with 3/8 oz kastmasters and spoons. For sure have your lure next to your boat while you pattle so you can see what speed to go to get the right action you want. Good luck!

dilbeck
06-10-2011, 09:43 AM
IMO, I'd stay away from using a downrigger in moving water. If you get that thing snagged, the current is going to push you downstream and potentially cause you to capsize. I think you're just looking for trouble. If your set on the trolling, I'd stick to trolling rapalas and dodgers or flashers. Otherwise I think your best bet would be to drift if as Legalbeagle suggested and fish the pockets or structure. Again, check the regs if you're considering bait.

I troll from my Hobie kayak all the time with a downrigger and love it but that is done in lakes.

Out of curiosity, what kind of kayak do you have? Either of you ever frequent NCKA.org? Wide breadth of knowledge on safety and fishing from kayaks.

Michael

Legalbeagle
06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
IMO, I'd stay away from using a downrigger in moving water. If you get that thing snagged, the current is going to push you downstream and potentially cause you to capsize. I think you're just looking for trouble. If your set on the trolling, I'd stick to trolling rapalas and dodgers or flashers. Otherwise I think your best bet would be to drift if as Legalbeagle suggested and fish the pockets or structure. Again, check the regs if you're considering bait.

I troll from my Hobie kayak all the time with a downrigger and love it but that is done in lakes.

Out of curiosity, what kind of kayak do you have? Either of you ever frequent NCKA.org? Wide breadth of knowledge on safety and fishing from kayaks.

Michael

I also have a Hobie Outback. I can use the D/R because my hands are free. It's great. I can troll at 5 mph if I want to under my own foot power. That thing is priceless!