PDA

View Full Version : HDS 8 and structure scan problem

burtin163_1
06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Hi Guys,

I just bought the HDS 8 with structure scan and had it installed about a month ago. Have only been out on the water 3 times with it and have read the manual from cover to cover trying to learn how to use it. My last trip out was on Lake Tahoe a week ago (went out on 2 different days) and had issues with the structure scan. While on the lake, I noticed that at random times under trolling speeds the structure scan would stop reading (the crisp picture would disappear and it was replaced with horizontal fuzzy scrolling grey bars across the screen). Each time this happened the depth reading on the structure scan was locked on a very shallow depth (i.e. 1.5 feet or less) despite being in deeper water than this. The depth setting was in the default auto setting and I noticed when I took it off the auto depth and selected the depth range that I was in, the picture came back. This happened while in a variety of depths 5-300+ ft of water. At first I thought it was an issue where the depth I was in was beyond the range of the transducer freq (800 hz (~100ft) vs. 450hz (300ft) but this happened in both freq levels within the specified depth ranges.

When I got home I traced all of the connections from the transducer to unit and everything looks like it should (no loose connections, all wires appear to be in the right places, etc).

When I read the trouble shooting section, it sounds like faulty readings can occur with the sonar unit in shallow water or over weeds etc......is this something that is expected to occur with structure scan as well? is there a remedy to this issue? Do I have a faulty unit that needs to be sent back? Is there something simple that I'm missing?

I have not updated to the latest 4.0 upgrade yet (still with the version sent out of the box).

Any help/insight into what the problem may be and how I can fix it would be greatly appreciated. Kinda frustrating to drop a load of cash on something and have it not perform as expected.... (I hope it's just something I'm missing).

ReelJerks
06-16-2011, 10:18 AM
I fish from an 18' pontoon boat and I have mounted the transducer on the starboard log. At some point I started having the same problem you are experiencing and it took a while for me to put my finger on it. At trolling speed (the way I fish 99% of the time) my HDS would black out then show bottom then black out...back and forth, but I always had the bottom at speed. Took a while, but I found out I was the problem. I let the ladder down while fishing and use the little platform to land fish. Seems the sonar would lock on to the ladder and black me out. Fixed that little problem with some 'stop extensions' and have never had the problem since. Not saying this is your problem, but check for anythiing the transducer might return an echo from...anything.

Edd

Bloodthirsty
07-22-2011, 03:42 PM
I have this unit.....I have had issues when your sonar depth is set to a shallow depth and your in deep water...it screws up the structure scan. Make sure the fishing mode is set to the correct mode. Then put your sonar depth setting to auto. This should help. PM me with any other questions.

nitty917
07-23-2011, 10:24 PM
i am now having this issue when updated to the latest 4.0 software. the sonar zeroes out?
dont understand

ReelJerks
07-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Nitty...can you tell me what you mean by 'zero's out' ? And you can reinstall 3.5 so you can use the unit while the engineers work on a fix. Some people reinstalled 3.5 the reinstalled latest upgrade and that fixed their problem. Some kind of firmware glitch.

Edd

nitty917
07-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Nitty...can you tell me what you mean by 'zero's out' ? And you can reinstall 3.5 so you can use the unit while the engineers work on a fix. Some people reinstalled 3.5 the reinstalled latest upgrade and that fixed their problem. Some kind of firmware glitch.

Edd

hey Edd
sorry wasnt clear. The skimmer temperature still works on the screen but the sonar will go to dashes and freeze and read depths of 1-3ft like something is wrapped on it or its flipped up. Thats what I was thinking the whole time I was fishing but after sitting there it will work again and read depths again. Sounds like they have an idea of whats going on, hopefully a new update soon.
Have you had any feedback on use of the structure scan? how deep can those skimmers go?

ReelJerks
07-25-2011, 07:28 AM
hey Edd
sorry wasnt clear. The skimmer temperature still works on the screen but the sonar will go to dashes and freeze and read depths of 1-3ft like something is wrapped on it or its flipped up. Thats what I was thinking the whole time I was fishing but after sitting there it will work again and read depths again. Sounds like they have an idea of whats going on, hopefully a new update soon.
Have you had any feedback on use of the structure scan? how deep can those skimmers go?

Transducer angle is critical with transom mounts.

On your SS ducer question, I haven't installed one yet (soon tho) but all I am reading say 100 feet or a tad more. Some of the dive boats are reporting success to 150 feet in the salt.

Please keep us up to date will you?

Edd

nitty917
08-13-2011, 10:46 PM
Transducer angle is critical with transom mounts.

On your SS ducer question, I haven't installed one yet (soon tho) but all I am reading say 100 feet or a tad more. Some of the dive boats are reporting success to 150 feet in the salt.

Please keep us up to date will you?

Edd

installed structurescan on my rig, fairly easy of a install. hardest part was running the transom through the boat. have to get use to it. it is very strong and sensitive sonar. fuzzy images compared to what i see online. not sure if its delta water thats murky causing it, or just adjusting the contrast.

ReelJerks
08-15-2011, 07:11 AM
installed structurescan on my rig, fairly easy of a install. hardest part was running the transom through the boat. have to get use to it. it is very strong and sensitive sonar. fuzzy images compared to what i see online. not sure if its delta water thats murky causing it, or just adjusting the contrast.

Any chance you will be putting into fresh water to see if it is the salt? Can you show us some screen caps?

Edd

nitty917
08-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Any chance you will be putting into fresh water to see if it is the salt? Can you show us some screen caps?

Edd

i do mostly salt and delta. how do i get screen shots?
ill take some this weekend

ReelJerks
08-19-2011, 05:27 AM
i do mostly salt and delta. how do i get screen shots?
ill take some this weekend

I think it is MENU>SYSTEM; scroll down to SCREEN CAPTURE and hit ENTER to make it blue.
Every time you want to capture the screen, just push the power button (acts as a shutter button). NOTE that when you power down you won't be able to do this correctly unless you turn OFF screen capture prior to power down. Otherwise you will just be making more screen shots. It's not wise to power down your HDS the old way by pressing and holding the power button until the unit shuts down.

Edd

Garry
08-25-2011, 10:53 AM
not to re-direct from this awesome site, but a lowrance pro-staffer, ken sauret, monitors the lowrance forum on westernbass.com. he is a great resource and may have a quick answer for this. post here (you will have to establish a login to do so):

Westernbass.com - Bass Fishing Forums (http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45&sid=41a038176acfd6935f5cc68ee3d367b7)

garry

ReelJerks
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
not to re-direct from this awesome site, but a lowrance pro-staffer, ken sauret, monitors the lowrance forum on westernbass.com. he is a great resource and may have a quick answer for this. post here (you will have to establish a login to do so):

Westernbass.com - Bass Fishing Forums (http://www.westernbass.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=45&sid=41a038176acfd6935f5cc68ee3d367b7)

garry

Ken also monitors this site. I know he is out of touch until Tuesday.

Edd

Ken Sauret
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
To get a screen shot hit menu, menu, go to System and hit enter, go to screen capture and hit enter. This will select screen capture, you will see the circle marked blue. Hit exit to get rid of the menu screens. Now when you want to take a picture so to speak of what you see on the screen just hit the power button once. The screen will freeze for a few seconds while it saves that screen shot and then get back to real time sonar, chart or Structure Scan.

To view these screen shots on your home computer or post them to a forum, these screen shots are saved in your files. To find them hit pages and use the right arrow key and go to Waypoints, Routes and Trails and hit enter. At the bottom of this screen you will see "Files" arrow down to files and hit enter. Go to Files and hit enter, go down to Screenshots and hit enter. This will list all your screenshots. Highlight any of them and hit enter to look at them or hit menu and you can save them to an SD card. Just put a card in the slot and it will show up on the Files menu.

BTW, sorry I'm slow in my reply to this thread, I've been bowhunting in Oregon for mule deer. I chased a 25 inch 5 X 4 for a few days but couldn't get closer than 110 yards. Maybe next year.

ReelJerks
09-08-2011, 07:24 AM
.....BTW, sorry I'm slow in my reply to this thread, I've been bowhunting in Oregon for mule deer. I chased a 25 inch 5 X 4 for a few days but couldn't get closer than 110 yards. Maybe next year.
Life is so much easier when HDS can show the way :lolk:

Glad you're back safely,
Edd

nitty917
09-08-2011, 10:40 PM
update, was pretty disappointed on the readings on the coastline reefs with structurescan, sonar was either
very sensitive and couldnt get a detailed read like i thought it would be. lot of fuzz from the swell hitting the boat.