PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport reservoir a few weeks ago!

Troutman9310
06-29-2011, 10:26 AM
578757885789Decided to try Bridgeport reservoir a few weeks ago since its in my opinion one of the healthiest fisheries in CA. The aquatic environment is very similar to that of lake davis and crowley lake, shallow and rich in vegetation. This breeds healthy fiesty fish that grow to a few pounds quickly. Even holdover planters grow to 20" plus in just a year. The only problem with all of these lakes is the WIND. All of them seem to be in flat areas with not too many surrounding mountains. With the year we have had weather and snow wise I knew bridgeport reservoir would be a challenge but the fish quality is like no other i've seen. My go to lure when trolling these lakes is a wee dick nite in copper with an orange tip. It somehow mimicks something in the water that these fish love. So 30' of mono then 2 colors of leadcore tied to more mono gets you down about 8-12'. perfect with the heavy vegetation. Soooo as soon as I leave the boat ramp and get my first line in the water with said wee dick nite. BAM 3 1/2 lb. brown. That warmed me up in 35 degree weather. For the next few days my go to bait was the dick nite but I also trolled another rod with a seps sidekick and nightcrawler which caught its fair share of fish but nothing compared to the dick nite. When talking to some of the locals and going into Kens sports, nobody was familiar with the dick nite or carried them. Everyone also told me the fishing was slow that week. Well I guess they werent fishing on my boat...:action-smiley-035: I fished for 3 days only fishing about 2-3 hours a day due to the wind but must have landed 50-60 quality fish with the biggest being the first brown. Also as a kicker this lake is one of the few in CA with a sustained population of sacramento perch. Similar to a crappie I guess but one of the best eating fresh water fish out there in my opinion. While trolling a the sidekick the last day I hooked into an unusual fighting fish and when I got it to the boat I was pleasantly suprised at the hog of a perch I caught while trolling. It weighed just over 2 1/2 lbs. and was delicious. Thanks Shane

RideNfish
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice report and good job. That brown is a nice looking fish! Hell, the perch is too. Didn't know they were in there.

Cheers,

JPFX
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the report! I need it as I'll be headed that way for a 4 nighter July 13th.