PDA

View Full Version : Raymarine A70f too trick for me!

FishWisher
06-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Headed to Don Pedro yesterday - knowing that mostly I wanted to sort out the FF issues I had with the downrigger weights at New Melones two weeks ago. And also to try out that new HiThrust prop on the 8HP Tohatsu kicker.

I spent one hour trying to get the FF and kicker sorted out. Turns out the FF was a matter of finding the TVG. Yep - we all know about the ol' TVG, right? It's "Time Varied Gain". (The Raymarine A-70f manual says it lowers sensitivity in the shallower portion of the water column.) Everybody knows that, right?! Never heard of it myself. But the fancy-schmancy high dollar FF offers engineering types the option of having the good ol' TVG on Automatic or Manual. I tried manual, set it anywhere from 80% to 100% and finally the damn thing did NOT consider the downrigger weights to be the bottom. I went all afternoon with it working just fine. It didn't matter whether I had the big or little weights. BUT! When I turned the FF off, it defaults to Auto and then again can't find its own bottom with both hands. Who would pay $2000 for such a complex thing? I never would! (It came with the boat.)

What have you all done to deal with the downrigger weights looking like the bottom? Simply reduce gain? Essentially, that's what the TVG does.

I pulled off the lid and dinked around with the idle on the Tohatsu. I got it to run below 2 MPH, which was my goal, and could kick it up to 2+ as well, of course. It still doesn't idle all that smooth at the bottom, but maybe a Troll Master as I had on the old Honda 8 would help there.

I trolled for a couple of hours after all the dinkin' around with the FF and kicker, but didn't know where to troll and saw nobody else trolling. I should have cruised the whole lake looking for the trollers, but gave up early and headed home about 1:00. I could see the lake lice traffic was picking up even on a Wednesday afternoon.

New Melones is $10 for an old geezer for two days. Don Pedro is $15 for one day. I think I'll be heading to New Melones first from now on. I hope I've kicked the Hogan addiction, but may need just one more hit there, as the junkies say.

ReelJerks
07-01-2011, 05:54 AM
.....What have you all done to deal with the downrigger weights looking like the bottom? Simply reduce gain? Essentially, that's what the TVG does.

Glad you got most things worked out. What I did with my HDS wasn't planned but did fix the annoyance. When I finally got the transducer 'tilt' adjusted so it would see ALL FOUR rigger weights, it also cured my weight lock syndrome. It seems the better they make these things, the finer the adjustments need be.

Thanks for the info I'm sure some other RAY users will appreciate it.

Edd

Steve079
07-05-2011, 05:19 PM
why don't you just kick the transducer towards the bow a couple degree's.