PDA

View Full Version : Lower Scotts Flat Resevoir is insane right now

Wolverine
07-22-2011, 08:36 AM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Miner_Moe
07-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Just got back from there this morning and the larger trout seem to be over by the dam, 14 -17 inches. I love lower Scotts. Hardly ever see anyone else fish it and most that do catch and release. They had kokanee in there a few years back and we would see them run up the little creek arm and try to spawn.

soarwitheagles
07-23-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey guys,

My wife and I would like to fish at Lower Scotts Flat Reservoir! I looked closely at the satellite map on how to get there.

Can anyone give me more specifics [where exactly to fish] before we go there?:question:

Did you fish the Lower Dam where the water comes in [Scotts Flat Dam Rd], or where to water goes out [Gold Digger Way]?:question:

Did you use Scotts Flat Dam Rd. or Gold Digger Way?:question:

Also, are there any camping sites?:question:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We've fished a lot in the High Sierra's, but never in this area near Nevada City!

Please give us some more info on both the Upper and Lower Dams. We would like to try both!

Please help us if ya can!

Thanks,

Soar

westcoasterjim
07-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Hey guys,

My wife and I would like to fish at Lower Scotts Flat Reservoir! I looked closely at the satellite map on how to get there.

Can anyone give me more specifics [where exactly to fish] before we go there?:question:

Did you fish the Lower Dam where the water comes in [Scotts Flat Dam Rd], or where to water goes out [Gold Digger Way]?:question:

Did you use Scotts Flat Dam Rd. or Gold Digger Way?:question:

Also, are there any camping sites?:question:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

We've fished a lot in the High Sierra's, but never in this area near Nevada City!

Please give us some more info on both the Upper and Lower Dams. We would like to try both!

Please help us if ya can!

Thanks,

Soar

Only one road in, Scotts Flat Dam Rd. Then ya either walk or use a small water craft. Camping is only available at Scotts Flat. Funny how everyone calls Deer Creek Res. Lower Scotts Flat.

Jim

soarwitheagles
07-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Only one road in, Scotts Flat Dam Rd. Then ya either walk or use a small water craft. Camping is only available at Scotts Flat. Funny how everyone calls Deer Creek Res. Lower Scotts Flat.

Jim

Ok Jim! Thanks for the info. We hope to head up there this Wednesday!

Please let us know if anyone has any more advice for us!

Thanks,

Soar

MxFisher472
08-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Even electric motors aren't allowed?

bretmoua
08-01-2011, 12:31 PM
If the spot isn't too far, use (paddles) oars. LOL :cheesy:
Good job on the fishing out there.

soarwitheagles
08-01-2011, 07:53 PM
We went up to Lower Scott's Flat's Reservoir last week and the fishing was indeed incredible. We caught our limit within minutes and it was a total blast.

Thank you for helping us discover this beautiful place!

Soar

PS I seriously do not believe an electric motor is necessary [the entire "reservoir" is less than 500 feet long]! Oars should definitely do the trick! To be totally honest with you, Lower Scott's Flat's Reservoir appears much more like a pond rather than a genuine reservoir...

westcoasterjim
08-01-2011, 10:40 PM
It originaly was a water source for the miners. Hydraulic mining is still visible in the area. Deer Creek was heavly mined clear past S. Grass Valley.

Jim

westcoasterjim
08-01-2011, 10:42 PM
It originaly was a water source for the miners. Hydraulic mining is still visible in the area. Deer Creek was heavly mined clear past S. Grass Valley, Jim

ampm
08-02-2011, 07:18 AM
Isnt it actually named Deer Creek Res?

soarwitheagles
08-02-2011, 07:42 PM
Isnt it actually named Deer Creek Res?

I believe you are correct...Google Map also calls it Deer Creek Reservoir. Needless to say, the fishing was indeed incredible. On a side note, we met and spoke with a number of locals. They told us that they often fished Deer Creek Reservoir without having even one bite!

They told us that Deer Creek Reservoir was stocked 3 weeks ago and that is why the "catching" was so incredible.

The locals were very friendly and we enjoyed spending time with them.

I would not even consider attempting to visit Deer Creek Reservoir in a two wheel drive in the winter, when the rough dirt roads are wet. I am convinced I would never make it back out. I mention this with a little bit of experience...[I say this after living in the Santa Cruz mountains for several years when our dirt driveway was over 7 miles long].

Soar