PDA

View Full Version : backpacking 7/22-7/24

Jfitalia
07-24-2011, 02:24 PM
My GF and I decided to take the dog up to lake X and Y over the weekend. In the past we have been able to hit the lakes much earlier in the season and had great success on big rainbows. However this year it seemed as if we were a little late and the fish had maybe already spawned due to the long skinny males we caught. We did have some success cast lures and crawlers for a half dozen trout in the 13 inch (which is small for this lake) and 2 males that hit 17 inches. With the slower fishing we decided to hike another 2 miles or so and hit lake Y for some brookies and cutts. We caught about a dozen on Kastmasters and jigs before calling it a trip and heading home. I included a few few of some of the fish and one of my dog that still hasnt figured out how to pace herself on these trips.

Jfitalia
07-24-2011, 02:26 PM
here are the rest of the pics

Bigg A
07-24-2011, 06:22 PM
Nice!!!! I didn't even know you still fished...:banana2:

Jfitalia
07-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Nice!!!! I didn't even know you still fished...:banana2:

I know man!!! Just been busy with work and trying to buy a house! Im trying to get a rockcod trip in the next week or 2. you wanna go?

Bigg A
07-24-2011, 06:39 PM
I know man!!! Just been busy with work and trying to buy a house! Im trying to get a rockcod trip in the next week or 2. you wanna go?

Queen of hearts? Me and john are trying to put together a date also....I at least wanna get out once this year

Jfitalia
07-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Queen of hearts? Me and john are trying to put together a date also....I at least wanna get out once this year

yeah thats the boat! Let me know what date

MarkdaShark19
07-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Awesome post J. cool to see you guys got on some fish. I love how pretty those hold over brookies are.

trout wrangler
07-24-2011, 11:47 PM
Great post, always loved those lakes you pack into. Thanks for sharing the pisc. Thats something I need to work on.

SuckerPunch
07-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Three species, nice - refreshing to see a cutt that's still got its adipose fin and isn't all skin and bones.

Jfitalia
07-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Three species, nice - refreshing to see a cutt that's still got its adipose fin and isn't all skin and bones.

Yeah that lake has a ton of forage so all the fish looked very healthy.

Jfitalia
07-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Awesome post J. cool to see you guys got on some fish. I love how pretty those hold over brookies are.

Yeah it was noce to catch them. Even the rainbows I caught at the other lake had very nice white tips on all the fins.

Jfitalia
07-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Great post, always loved those lakes you pack into. Thanks for sharing the pisc. Thats something I need to work on.

Thanks! These lakes weren't that bad to hike hike into. overall the furthest lake was about 6 miles from the start of the trail. However I have a couple other trips planned in sept that will be a week long trip into a lake that holds some very big brookies!