PDA

View Full Version : s.f. American (7/25) [pictures will come soon!]

dirty530
07-26-2011, 01:59 PM
preface: since i’ve made the decision to try to C & R most of, if not all, the trout i catch on the south fork of the American i decide to head over to wild sports (off greenback) to pick up some lures. i wanted to get a few kastmasters in various sizes/colors, a silver spinner and a decent trout pattern jerk bait hoping these would help my C & R success rate. trout seem to get gut hooked too frequently when using bait, making bait fishing a poor candidate for C & R. i picked up two kastmasters (1/8 and oz in the rainbow trout pattern), one chrome oz blue fox and asked the clerk what the largest jerk bait i could use on a trout. he said he’s cut open trout before that had 6-8” trout in their bellies so a 3 inch jerk bait should work fine, so i picked up a Japanese brand jerk bait.

*when the clerk (an older, ex-hippie looking guy) saw that i was planning on buying a couple kastmasters he suggested i take the treble hook off and attach a 10-12” leader on the back with a worm, “kind of like a flasher”. i’ve never used flashers before, but was intrigued when he said with a smirk “works slick”.

*i could tell this day (Monday 7/25) was going to be a special day of fishing. the previous day i purchased new lures/worms, organized my tackle box, rigged my reel with new 6lb test P-Line and efficiently packed my camelback for the next day’s adventure. got up late, around 6, and arrived at the river around 7:15. the sun was up, the sky was clear and the temperature was fairly warm for so early in the morning. i noticed the river was extremely low, almost how it is during late fall/winter, and the water was as clear as glass. i could easily see rocks underwater from 30-50 feet away and even more so with polarized glasses.

i started at the most immediate hole from where the trail meets the river and fished with blue foxes and kastmasters for a half hour with no action. i started thinking, “well, if I’m going to C & R a fish, it might as well be a monster” so i headed to the tail end of my money spot, a deep and lengthy pool with riffles on both ends. fished with spinners and saw a couple small rainbows follow my chrome blue fox. had one strike it hard, but only one hit and two follows for a half hour?! in my honey hole?! i grew discouraged and tried kastmasters for a little bit, also with no action. i started to space out and think what these trout would hit.. after my thoughts rambled in my head for a bit i remembered what the hippie guy from wild sports said.. use the kastmasters as a flasher, “works slick”. i couldn’t get that “works slick” out of my head. i’ve always been the type of person who’d say, “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”, but being i’ve caught most of my BEST fish this year using techniques/methods I normally wouldn’t think of/try, i thought I’d give the kastmaster flasher idea a shot. i tied on a 11 inch leader with a size 6 bait holding hook/worm combo behind a hookless chrome 1/8 oz kastmaster and tossed it out into where the riffles meet the pool. i cast out about 3 times and hooked a small cut/rainbow hybrid. tried to get the hook out but I forgot to make it barbless; it was gut hooked and I had to keep it:/

[forgot i didn't take a picture because it was small, even for me :)]

i was very impressed with the kastmaster flasher trick. i pinched the barb (barbless) and tried it for a few more casts with no luck, so i decided to head upstream to the head of the pool. tossed out the same kastmaster/worm combo and on my 3rd or 4th cast i hooked into a 18-19 inch purple rainbow! i even saw it jump toward my worm, thanks to the polarized glasses! fought with it for a minute or two but it got off a foot away from the bank as I was turning around to pick up my net. i was a little upset i didn’t “land it” but i was stoked the hook came out easy. did a few casts in the same direction and hooked into a good 16 incher. it was a straight line peeler! fought with it for a minute or two and landed it in the net. it was gut hooked so I kept it:/

i was a little upset I couldn’t safely release the fish, especially since I was using barbless, so I switched back to the silver blue fox. i cast about a dozen times 25 feet upstream and saw (from 30 feet away) a beautiful purple flash dart from 2 feet away to strike the blue fox, but it missed it and probably got spooked. i was super happy i got a couple hits off the blue fox. i did a few more casts and ended up getting snagged/losing the blue fox in the swifter riffles. i tried/lost some salmon eggs and also lost the 1/8 oz rainbow colored kastmaster at the same spot trying the same kastmaster flasher trick, thinking i might get a few more strikes on a rainbow trout color lure. After losing the rainbow trout kastmaster, i switched back to the silver 1/8 oz kasmaster flasher combo. hooked into/fought a couple (19 inch +) monsters but they came off.. i remember saying “oh s***! this could be on River Monsters!!!” haha

after catching a couple and fighting a few, i felt very confident. i decided to move to the farthest point i’ve gone upstream to a pool where i’ve seen tons of huge trout but have yet to pull one out. on the way i decided to stop off at a spot that i’ve seen before instead (normally it wouldn’t be my first choice of spots to fish) and tossed in the kastmaster flasher combo. on my second or third cast i felt a heavy tug and saw a GIGANTIC 20 inch + flash in the water but lost it! cast out in the same spot a few more times and hooked into/landed a beast! i fought with it for 2-3 minutes and had to run 100 feet upstream while the fish was on the line to get my net! after it thrashed around for a little bit i landed my biggest trout yet, a beautiful 19-20” male bow. the hook came right out and i was able to keep it in the water for all but 15 seconds! after i took a pic, i turned the net sideways and watched him swim off :) i’m not gonna lie, i screamed “f*** yeah” for like 5 minutes afterward haha

*uploading this pic is the first time i've seen it since and it doesn't do ANY JUSTICE! it looks like it easily fits in the net but it barely fit and i was having a lot of touble scooping it up.

i cast out a few more times and got a ton of bites but only landed another rainbow/cut hybrid which i also had to keep because it was gut hooked.

*close up, notice the cool bluish spotting.

fished for a little longer.. got a few more bites and saw a few dart at my bait but they didn’t pick it up. at this point, the rafters had been coming for a half hour now and it was getting harder/more tedious to cast between sets of rafters so i decided to call it a day.

overall: i highly recommend trying the unfamiliar to see what works the best, both lures and fishing holes. i never would’ve thought i would have as much success as i did at the spot i found/decided to try, and I’m glad i gave it a chance. just because you can catch fish with a certain set up, that doesn’t make it the ultimate or ideal set up, it just means it has been working for you. i recommend everyone trying a variety of methods to catch fish; it’s just as fun, sometimes more fun, to catch fish on new lures/set ups and it educates you on what works and what doesn’t. even though i caught fish with worms/split shot, worms/flasher, and blue foxes i still tried other set ups (salmon eggs) just to see what works.

also, after this trip i’ve become a huuuge fan of barbless. it really makes fishing even more of a sport. you can definitely catch fish with barbless bait hooks; you might lose a few but it is DEFINTELY possible to catch/land some. i highly recommend it to everyone!

*for those interested, this is my trout tackle. i carry just the basic necessities as a lot of my spots require a hike and i have to consider how much weight i want to carry.

Marinpaul
07-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Fantastic post! I love trying new techniques and will give the "river flasher" method a try this weekend. Thanks for sharing what was obviously a great outing.

Jetspray
07-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I have done that with other lures but never tried it with a Kastmaster. For the most part it should not be difficult to change back either. I think I will rig a couple for my next outing. Thank you for taking us along on your adventure it sure was great......Jetspray:fish_jumps::a-fish:

Vikkor
07-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Good post.... anxiously awaiting the pics!

wolf359
07-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Awesome report! When I lived in Texas we fished for redfish using spoons with plastic worms on a single hook. It sounds a bit like your Kastmaster-flasher set up. The hippie guy is right, it does "work slick".

buckman78
07-27-2011, 08:00 AM
Nice report! i have thought of trying a kastmaster like that before and figured it might work well with the weight and all. but like you, i generally have that mentallity that "if it aint broke, dont fix it!" haha. well thanks for proving me wrong and good job on all the trout!

hanahou7
07-27-2011, 08:26 AM
Great job dirty! I will have to try that flasher set up....never thought of it, but it makes sense.

Hope you can post your pics soon! It will make a day at the office go by much quicker :smile:

americainR_guy
07-27-2011, 04:31 PM
You are on fire!!! You teach us all so much! I have been fishing all 3 forks of the A.R for over 20yrs from almost the crest of the Sierra to Discovery Park. I will probably run into you sometime! Way to go!!!

muhammad ali
07-27-2011, 04:42 PM
I love how supportive people are!!

-muhammad ali

Barleycorn
07-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I love how supportive people are!!

-muhammad ali Awesome Dirty 530!! Maybe tmrw I'll run over there??

Barleycorn
07-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Hey Dirty30 check your pm from Barley. Thanks! -Dave

seasquirt2
07-29-2011, 12:33 AM
I guess it's just easier to say.....Ya, it's a cutthroat...maybe one day he will catch a real cutt, then he will know the difference.

Jfitalia
07-29-2011, 06:37 AM
I guess it's just easier to say.....Ya, it's a cutthroat...maybe one day he will catch a real cutt, then he will know the difference.

why does it matter if its a cutt or not? if he wants to call it a cutt then who cares. we dont need to nit pick our own members on here. I dont see anyone doing that to your reports, although that may be hard to do with your 2 posts in how many years?????

americainR_guy
07-29-2011, 07:55 AM
So we should just call fish whatever species we want? Ok when I eventully post, I'll do the same. Browns will be brookies Rainbows will be salmon ect ect. Still waiting for the pics..................

Jfitalia
07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
So we should just call fish whatever species we want? Ok when I eventully post, I'll do the same. Browns will be brookies Rainbows will be salmon ect ect. Still waiting for the pics..................

Your missing the point... There are better ways you can correct someone by not talking down to that person and or being a jerk about it. There is no need to make fun of dirty530 and honestly im just sick of people jumping on this kid for his posts. Either leave his posts alone or I will just delete every single negative post that is put up.

Also if you look at his first post you will notice that his pictures are posted.

dirty530
07-29-2011, 10:25 AM
I caught these fish on the Carson a few weeks back. these are cutthroats, no?

if the smaller one is a young cutthroat and not a bow, then the trout on the south fork have to be a cutthroat or some cut hybrid because they have the EXACT same markings as the one's in these pictures. my camera doesn't catch the color on the south fork fish that well so you can't see the yellow side with blue spotting that great.

if i'm wrong, i'm wrong; it wouldn't be the first time and i know it won't be the last. it's just my guess.

Dirty

Jfitalia
07-29-2011, 11:19 AM
I caught these fish on the Carson a few weeks back. these are cutthroats, no?

if the smaller one is a young cutthroat and not a trout, then the trout on the south fork have to be a cutthroat or some cut hybrid because they have the EXACT same markings as the one's in these pictures. my camera doesn't catch the color on the south fork fish that well so you can't see the yellow side with blue spotting that great.

if i'm wrong, i'm wrong; it wouldn't be the first time and i know it won't be the last. it's just my guess.

Dirty

See you have caught a cutthroat!!! The first one is a rainbow but the second is a cutthroat 100%. Good job man

dirty530
07-29-2011, 11:55 AM
See you have caught a cutthroat!!! The first one is a rainbow but the second is a cutthroat 100%. Good job man

thanks for the species verification Jfitalia. i always thought juvenile cutthroat have a yellowish side with bluish spotting on them with an orange slash under the jaw and that they lose the yellow siding + the majority of the spots as they get older.. that's weird that rainbows can have yellow sides/blue spots too. last year on the south fork all of the rainbows i caught were a classic silver with an olivish color top with a ton of black dots all over. this is the first year i've caught trout with yellow/blue spot siding and i've been catching them the most this season..

i also assumed they were cuts or cut hybrids because of all the other species in the s.f. American (brown trout, rainbow, carp, sculpins). thanks for clarifying :)

BROOKSNCUTROATZ
07-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Going up to silver fork of the A.R today will be fishing caps crossing, silver fork, and other areas thru sunday. Ill try to hook in to some variety and post pictures with each fish ...might help to clarify this debacle on naming a S.F.A.R trout its true specie name (even though were in it for the fishing not the specs right?)

On fly side was gunna take: humpy's and elkhair caddids (any suggesstions??)

On bait/tackle side: p.martins, redworms and or meal worms??

Jfitalia
07-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Going up to silver fork of the A.R today will be fishing caps crossing, silver fork, and other areas thru sunday. Ill try to hook in to some variety and post pictures with each fish ...might help to clarify this debacle on naming a S.F.A.R trout its true specie name (even though were in it for the fishing not the specs right?)

On fly side was gunna take: humpy's and elkhair caddids (any suggesstions??)

On bait/tackle side: p.martins, redworms and or meal worms??

welcome to the boards! I am a huge fan of using meal worms. Good luck and honestly no one here should care what species of trout you catch.

matt006
07-29-2011, 02:05 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with South Fork, but am hoping to get out Sunday. Can anyone recommend a general area that would be good to take my wife and 1 year old? I figure if I give her the option of coming my chances of getting out and wetting a line are higher.

Thanks.

dirty530
07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm not terribly familiar with South Fork, but am hoping to get out Sunday. Can anyone recommend a general area that would be good to take my wife and 1 year old? I figure if I give her the option of coming my chances of getting out and wetting a line are higher.

Thanks.

first off, i really DO NOT recommend taking your 1 year old out to the s.f American. the water's still cold and it rises fast for the rafters; take you're eyes off your kid for a minute and they'll be swept downstream :( i'm 24 and i've been caught in the rising water.. it's extremely scary. since woolybuggin has to watch his daughter, this is why he's not able to come to my spot, and he's smart for not bringing her.

if you decide to go anyways, i'll tell you the basic areas i tell everyone:

Coloma:
*below Heningson Park (Lotus Park), look for where the riffles meet the pools
*above the Ponderosa Resort. there's a fat pool above the resort and there's some nice browns in there. park outside the resort and walk in, you can tell the gate attendee you're staying there and they'll let you in.
*below the sawmill in Coloma, you have to get there as the sun rises and there's only a short window before they go deep..
*the farther you travel upstream and away from access (on the south fork) the more secluded it is and there's deeper pools upstream too. you can basically fish anywhere on the s.f. and catch fish, just not at Lotus Park because it's sooo busy, but i'm still trying to prove myself wrong :)

REMEMBER: fish a spot with different tackle. if it's not working, switch it up. my "go to" worm with a split shot works wonders, but not always. last time i went, the kastmaster flasher method worked best.

Good luck!

CRABBY
07-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Your missing the point... There are better ways you can correct someone by not talking down to that person and or being a jerk about it. There is no need to make fun of dirty530 and honestly im just sick of people jumping on this kid for his posts. Either leave his posts alone or I will just delete every single negative post that is put up.

Also if you look at his first post you will notice that his pictures are posted.

WELL PUT 'J', we are all on a learning curve,like it or not,so please be considerate in your replies,rude,inconsiderate replies will all be deleted,seasquirt,although your replies are welcome please keep then more in line with a positive note,so as not to cause miss understandings,which we all like to avoid.Thanks ...Don

Jfitalia
07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
hey dirty what lake was that cutty caught from? looked like maybe caples???

dirty530
07-29-2011, 04:13 PM
hey dirty what lake was that cutty caught from? looked like maybe caples???

it was caught on the Carson river, 88 & 89 south.

seasquirt2
07-30-2011, 12:41 AM
Well, back in the day I used to have about 2.500 posts, then somebody screwed with the boards requiring a password & signing in stuff, then I just kinda gave up, but when I really gave up was when the initial post (or subject/topic) went to the back of the thread instead of the beginning, that was just brilliant whoever thought of that one.....so I've learned one thing, my fishing is my own, I don't need to prove my fishing prowress to anyone.

Now this board seems so PC, you can't even voice facts & opinions if they are in conflict with someone else. If you try to let somebody know they are incorrectly identifying a trout, the Mods are "who cares what he calls his fish, don't hurt his feelings....if he wants to call his rainbow a catfish let him"...omg, gag me with a spoon.\\

Btw, does anyone remember a guy named Big Sinus, and or Freshwater?? are any of these legends still around???? Now those guys really knew how to wet a line.

Jfitalia
07-30-2011, 05:34 AM
Well, back in the day I used to have about 2.500 posts, then somebody screwed with the boards requiring a password & signing in stuff, then I just kinda gave up, but when I really gave up was when the initial post (or subject/topic) went to the back of the thread instead of the beginning, that was just brilliant whoever thought of that one.....so I've learned one thing, my fishing is my own, I don't need to prove my fishing prowress to anyone.

Now this board seems so PC, you can't even voice facts & opinions if they are in conflict with someone else. If you try to let somebody know they are incorrectly identifying a trout, the Mods are "who cares what he calls his fish, don't hurt his feelings....if he wants to call his rainbow a catfish let him"...omg, gag me with a spoon.\\

Btw, does anyone remember a guy named Big Sinus, and or Freshwater?? are any of these legends still around???? Now those guys really knew how to wet a line.

Like I explained before its the manner in which you say it. Correcting the naming of a fish is fine but when you through the cheap shot in "maybe one day you'll actually catch a cutthroat" is when I step in. Also its because people have been jumping all over dirty530 this last week and "we" as mods are just sick of it. so yes i was being PC cause there is no reason to be a jerk

seasquirt2
07-30-2011, 08:05 AM
Well, when I actually think about it, there are worse things than mis-labeling a trout

woolybuggin
07-30-2011, 09:44 AM

Thanks. ya flows are a little crazy for the lil one, if you bring him/her at least put him/her in a life jacket. one other thing is you really need to watch out for rattlesnakes up there, might be a little hecktic bringin a 1 year old up there. its like walkin on a mine field. if you do go just keep a close eye on everything and enjoy a beautiful day of fishin on river!! good luck let us know how you do

rpwlaw11
07-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Great report dirty. The Kastmaster trick was started years back. Great for trolling and also very popular using a fly instead of a worm. Now that you are becoming more C&R oriented, what's even better than barbless. Use the barbless circle hooks. You can get the barbless circle hooks at Fisherman's Warehouse in the trout size. Just remember there is no need to set the hook with these hooks. Just keep reeling and apply tension and the hook goes in the corner of the fish's mouth. If you want better chance at river monsters, try dusk instead of dawn. You'll find yourself hooking into some larger fish for the most part. Thanks for sharing and being very informative.

dirty530
07-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Great report dirty. The Kastmaster trick was started years back. Great for trolling and also very popular using a fly instead of a worm. Now that you are becoming more C&R oriented, what's even better than barbless. Use the barbless circle hooks. You can get the barbless circle hooks at Fisherman's Warehouse in the trout size. Just remember there is no need to set the hook with these hooks. Just keep reeling and apply tension and the hook goes in the corner of the fish's mouth. If you want better chance at river monsters, try dusk instead of dawn. You'll find yourself hooking into some larger fish for the most part. Thanks for sharing and being very informative.

thanks rpwlaw11! i'll pick up/try out some barbless cirlce hooks the next time i go to fisherman's warehose.

*thanks for the dusk info too. i've gone to my spot at dusk a couple times before, it's just kinda hard when i go by myself because
1. i have to keep track of everything i'm carrying and
2. i can't see well at night and its a multiple mile hike both ways. i'm concerned about being out by myself that late when they're mountain lions and rattlers..

i noticed if you hit the s.f. super early, right as the sun hits the water, you'll have better chances at hooking a big one too. went out this morning and there were several 19 inch + trout roaming around. i only caught smaller ones though because i got there too late and the water rose already.

CRABBY
07-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Like I explained before its the manner in which you say it. Correcting the naming of a fish is fine but when you through the cheap shot in "maybe one day you'll actually catch a cutthroat" is when I step in. Also its because people have been jumping all over dirty530 this last week and "we" as mods are just sick of it. so yes i was being PC cause there is no reason to be a jerk

I Like it J,as you all know I am the hard core Mod,rest assured when I have to step in you're pretty much gone,not always it all depends on your posting history etc.etc,Please be considerate an read your replies before you post them,words mean a lot an although you may have all the good intentions in the world your post may come across wrong an start a flaming war,we appreciate everybodies input but ya gotta watch how ya say it,look at your post/reply an think to yourself "would this make me mad or be misinterpreted?"that's all I ask.Thanks ...Don

matt006
07-31-2011, 05:30 AM
ya flows are a little crazy for the lil one, if you bring him/her at least put him/her in a life jacket. one other thing is you really need to watch out for rattlesnakes up there, might be a little hecktic bringin a 1 year old up there. its like walkin on a mine field. if you do go just keep a close eye on everything and enjoy a beautiful day of fishin on river!! good luck let us know how you do

Thanks for the info guys. The little guy was more so going to be coming along only if we found a good meadow type area away from the water. But the wife wants to stay home as long as she got to sleep in a bit so i'll be heading out a little later this morning. Thanks again for all the info guys.

PapaGreg
08-01-2011, 05:34 AM
seasquirt, I was wondering about The Big Sinus myself, the guy really knew his stuff, he's been absent for quite sometime on both boards, hope he shows up again.

BROOKSNCUTROATZ
08-01-2011, 09:38 AM
My camera died the first night...but i hooked into about 10 of these little brookies from 6 to 7:30 ... i was about 100 yards down river from the china camp campground... someone told me that there weren't any planters in this part of the river even though i thought the fish in the third pic on the right could have been a bow??

Jfitalia
08-01-2011, 11:17 AM
My camera died the first night...but i hooked into about 10 of these little brookies from 6 to 7:30 ... i was about 100 yards down river from the china camp campground... someone told me that there weren't any planters in this part of the river even though i thought the fish in the third pic on the right could have been a bow??

Good looking fish! However I do believe those are all rainbows

BROOKSNCUTROATZ
08-01-2011, 11:28 AM
i was thinking the same thing but i wasn't sure because i was told they were brookies by a fellow fisherman that day...thanx for the clarification!!

Jfitalia
08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
i was thinking the same thing but i wasn't sure because i was told they were brookies by a fellow fisherman that day...thanx for the clarification!!

hey no problem. If you find my post from last week regarding my backpacking trip you'll see some brookies and you'll notice the difference. Great fish though either way

woolybuggin
08-01-2011, 03:52 PM
i was thinking the same thing but i wasn't sure because i was told they were brookies by a fellow fisherman that day...thanx for the clarification!! brookies tend to have a nice bright red belly and darker on the top half with lots of little spots. nice catch though. heres just one i caught yesterday. it was a beautiful rainbow, i wasnt really holdin the fish right to get a nice shot at its color6241