PDA

View Full Version : 7/27 rock cod trip

nayr
07-29-2011, 02:48 PM
I organized a rock cod charter for all the guys I work with on wednesday the 27th. As we departed from emeryville, the captain informed me that we wouldnt be able to hit the islands due to the weather. We decided to hit the marin coast instead. The day consisted of mostly blacks, blues, and more than 50 undersized lings. The total at the end of the day was 140 assorted rock cod(smallish) and 23 keeper lings for 20 guys on board. Four of them were down for the count before we could drop in so the score is actually for 16 of us actually fishing. Eight managed to limit on lings throwing fish traps and bars. Everything else came up on live bait. Jackpot went to myself for about a 5 lb lingcod...Although the biggest lingcod went about 9lbs, the guy who landed it was the only one not to put in his $5. HAHA! All the small lings kept us busy for most of the day. I would have loved to hit the islands, but despite that it was still fun.

4 Reels
07-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I organized a rock cod charter for all the guys I work with on wednesday the 27th. As we departed from emeryville, the captain informed me that we wouldnt be able to hit the islands due to the weather. We decided to hit the marin coast instead. The day consisted of mostly blacks, blues, and more than 50 undersized lings. The total at the end of the day was 140 assorted rock cod(smallish) and 23 keeper lings for 20 guys on board. Four of them were down for the count before we could drop in so the score is actually for 16 of us actually fishing. Eight managed to limit on lings throwing fish traps and bars. Everything else came up on live bait. Jackpot went to myself for about a 5 lb lingcod...Although the biggest lingcod went about 9lbs, the guy who landed it was the only one not to put in his $5. HAHA! All the small lings kept us busy for most of the day. I would have loved to hit the islands, but despite that it was still fun.

That's a bummer the boat couldn't hit the islands. I would book on a day when the ocean weather report is good, that is the key. The island area holds some large fish this year. I have never seen schools so large in the 3 years I've been out there. Catching 3 cods out there would've been equivalent to catching your limits of what I call bait cod along the coast. We were bringing up 6-7lb. Vermillions and other cods like Olives, Boccacios, Rosies, and so on were pushing 3-4 lbs easily. The Vermillions we caught could've made the Jackpot! Bottom line as long as you had fun then that's good. I look at it this way, I'd rather be fishing then being at work most of the time.

nayr
07-29-2011, 04:41 PM
yeah i hear ya about following reports/weather conditions to go out.. but in order for everyone to go we had to schedule it a month out ... its a gamble but at least it wasnt a total waste. I had fun poppng a bunch on jigs. Ill be out on a solo trip in a week or two, and hell yeah you gotta love them farallon vermillions!

slick88
07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Which boat did you go on?

nayr
07-29-2011, 06:36 PM
well originally I booked with Shim on the new salmon queen but I guess he is having some work done to his boat. (Which is still dry docked in pt richmond.) So they gave us the option of the new seeker or the captain hook. We decided on the Captain Hook.

oh yeah, i forgot to add that the good folks at emeryville were not going to let me know untill the last minute about shims boat not being up and running. I actually noticed it in the yard myself two weeks before the trip. They wouldnt confirm wether or not the boat would be available until the day before...
I hope Shim gets back in soon, I like fishing that boat

slick88
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
well originally I booked with Shim on the new salmon queen but I guess he is having some work done to his boat. (Which is still dry docked in pt richmond.) So they gave us the option of the new seeker or the captain hook. We decided on the Captain Hook.

oh yeah, i forgot to add that the good folks at emeryville were not going to let me know untill the last minute about shims boat not being up and running. I actually noticed it in the yard myself two weeks before the trip. They wouldnt confirm wether or not the boat would be available until the day before...
I hope Shim gets back in soon, I like fishing that boat

I just heard on the Emeryville Hotline that the New Salmon Queen made it out today for rockfishing. Perhaps Emeryville Sportfishing was expecting Shim to get back sooner than today, hence the last minute change. Unfortunately for you, he was 2 days late for your charter.

nayr
07-29-2011, 10:14 PM
glad to hear he is back

Reel Fun
07-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Nayr.....When you go up the coast is there any landmark to tell you you are in the right area? I am planning a trip soon and I want to get some rock cod!! How far is it up the coast once you turn the corner outside the gate?

Thanks,
RF