PDA

View Full Version : Beardsley Afterbay - 07/31/11

Giants19
08-01-2011, 05:30 PM
631763186319For anyone interested...just a report on my day at the Afterbay. Started the morning on the river at the Afterbay dam. Lots of great holes, fish are on the small side, but hitting hard. Most luck was on an 1/8oz salmon fly rooster tail and 1/8oz brown rooster tail. We were thinking it was the gold blade doing the trick. About noon, we headed back up and fished the mouth of the Beardsley dam. Amazing. Fish were working it hard. 1/6oz rooster tails was the lure of doing the most. The most entertaining thing though was seeing trout jumping up into the water spilling into the afterbay. Phone camera was not fast enough...haha. A few people caught a few but I think we did the most work. Would also like to remind all those who don't know, the afterbay and the river after the afterbay dam is artificial and barbless only, minimum size is 14" and the limit is two!! Saw several guys throwing large rapalas and using nightcrawlers. Couple of these guys kept several fish and had a difficult time removing the hooks,...to any observer...it would be safe to assume that the lure is not debarbed. Along with this, the one 16" brown that I kept had a snap swivel, a large barbed khale hook, and two powereggs in it's stomach. Not cool! Sorry this was so long, but I really wanted to express my displeasure with what we observed. All in all, it was a great time and I hope that anyone that takes the oppurtunity to experience the Beardsley Afterbay...please do so!!

k9mark
08-01-2011, 06:12 PM
Why doesn't it surprise me you saw those people violating the regs? What bothers me even more is when you politely point out what they are doing and they get all puffy chested.

dano
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
Never ceases to amaze me at the bait containers etc... I've seen there too. Too bad they don't get a few violation tickets. Sure the DFG could use the change. Too few Wardens for the area they have to patrol.

americainR_guy
08-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Anyone ever try the lake stretch between the Beardsley and the lake above it? Or even the lake above it?

EGWaterGuy
08-05-2011, 07:57 AM
There's no fish in the lake above Beardsley! ;)
The lake above is called Donnell reservoir and if you can get in there you have a chance at some nice fish. My brother in law's dad works for Tri-Dam and we got a boat in there a couple years back and it was some of the better trout fishing I have done in California

Nick145
08-05-2011, 08:29 AM
three years ago i fish donnel from the dam wo we probley caught 50-100 trout in 4 hours dropping barbless whooley buggers it was awsome the best C&R fishing i have ever done. lost one brown the fish had to be 8lbs next time we are bringing my crab net so we can land those monsters that lurk in there.

Tight Lines,
Nick145