PDA

View Full Version : Deer Fever

bretmoua
08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
Anyone pumped up about this year's deer season as much as I am? It just seem like it'll be a great year with all the rain we had. I been out scouting a few times and have come across a few nice shooters. I hope they'll be there waiting for me in 19 days. Can't wait. What zone will everyone be hunting in? I'll be in D7.

ILuvFishing
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
im so pumped up too jus went to the range the other day to break in my gun for this year n see if its accurate. imma be in d3-5 mainly d5. i saw a nice one the other day wen i went camping was a 4x5 n two black bear

bretmoua
08-02-2011, 07:20 AM
That's awesome. Good luck to you.

trout wrangler
08-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Been counting down the days. I will be bow hunting in the marble mountains opening week. Two weeks after that I will be back up there again to try and help my son fill his elk tag that he drew. Can hardly wait. Good luck to everyone. :jamesbond6qt:

smithstation
08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
I am always excited about the start of archery season. Only problem is the lack of bucks I have seen this year. Most of our ground is 3000-4000ft and the deer seem to be up much higher or lower than us. I have seen more deer at the 1000ft elevation this year than I ever have, even a few 24-28in monster 4x4's down low. We have been running cattle on the middle ground and I usually spot several nice bucks up there while working and nothing but a few does/fawns this year. I know they are around, just have to find them and keep the poachers out. Hunting D6 archery and rifle this year. I think that there is/will be an over abundance of bears this year as well. Hate the bears but hate cleaning and cutting one up even worse. Good luck to everyone!!

PapaGreg
08-03-2011, 03:46 PM
I'll mainly be in D-5, I've seen several bucks already the past few weeks, including 2 nice ones that were hit by vehicles, damnit.

Yeah, I think there will be a lot of bears, they have been reported at various campgrounds and my son-in-law saw one on the Rubicon a week ago, sooooooooooo, I guess a bear tag will also be purchased.

PapaGreg
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
smithstation, not sure where your cattle are, the wife and I took a ride yesterday down hwy 49 and then through Catheys Valley to Merced, sure looks pretty dry already.

I'm at the 4,000 foot level, but I'm in Calaveras county.

bretmoua
08-04-2011, 07:17 AM
The thing with a bear tag, for me, is that when I have one, I don't ever see a bear. On seasons when I don't buy one, I'm always running into them. Sucks but I guess that's the way the story goes.

smithstation
08-04-2011, 12:05 PM
smithstation, not sure where your cattle are, the wife and I took a ride yesterday down hwy 49 and then through Catheys Valley to Merced, sure looks pretty dry already.

I'm at the 4,000 foot level, but I'm in Calaveras county.

We are on both sides of 49, you went right by some of the ranch. The river canyon always holds great bucks but its steep and hard to hunt. I have killed some great bucks in there but I am more of a meat hunter now, a little lazy I guess. My only requirement is the horns are outside the ears. Its drying up fast and with lots of left over vegitation I am worried about fires. I saw more bears last year than I ever have. THe bucks are there, I will just have to find them. I am going up this weekend to put out mineral and see if I can locate any good bucks. the ranch in Merced/Mariposa border is really dry but there is lots of water still. Lots of the creeks have pools still and all the range ponds are full. SHould make for a great honker year if nothing else. :)

FishItswuts4dinner
08-05-2011, 02:35 AM
Good luck to all you guys. As for me, I'm outta the game this year. Been skunked 3yrs straight despite efforts. I did managed to see a few shooters but was never given the shot opportunity. Buck fever for me this year can go to h*ll until maybe next year if. I'm so p*zzd off at how much money is raised each year thru licensing and tags and nothing good has come out of kommifornias deer management programs as if the funds were just being used in other useless garbage and into special interest pockets. Why has all the fees gone up and up from the last decade or so but hunting success is still about the same or less or not much improvement? Well i'm just po'd. Good luck to u fellas.

outdoordude
08-05-2011, 07:31 AM
lets hope with all the winter we had that it's a good antler year. my girlfriend and I have been shooting our bows 5 days a week, building her draw strength up. she's shooting nice groups to 30 yrds, time to try broadheads. I'm getting nervous though, we just made an offer on a house here in Truckee and if all goes well we could be moving during the d3-5 archery season, thats when we want to be out there. VERY excited for the lake sonoma hunt in october. always alot of opportunities there with some outstanding bucks. maybe with moving to Truckee from gilroy I'll have more time to try and get a nice bear with the bow. good luck to all.

cc93cruiser
08-11-2011, 05:49 PM
X6B/D7 for me this year. First time hunting either zone! Didn't get a buck last year, so I'll be hitting it hard coming this sept-oct. Ready for the d7 archery opener Aug. 20th...

bretmoua
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
8 more days and counting. :hypnodisk:

outdoordude
08-13-2011, 07:11 AM
yea bret it's getting close:stirthepot: driving down to gilroy early monday to get a load of stuff, (note to self, don't forget camo), yea the offer on the house was accepted :bananatiedie:. gotta stop in sac on my way back to get d3-5 and a bear tag. start serious scouting thurs and fri and then sat the games will begin. back to an area I haven't hunted in 15 yrs, drove around last week and it felt good to get back to the old woods that I new so well. Saturday will be tough, hunt early, depending on results, and then going to see Tower of Power at Boomtown sat eve with my lady. should be fun.

bretmoua
08-13-2011, 05:56 PM
Wow. Now that sounds like an awesome plan. Why does spending time with wife always come in the end? LOL :lolk:

bretmoua
08-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Wow. That's one amazing hike you did. Too bad you didn't see anything at all. One question though, how would you have taken your trophy back to your car from all the way out there? Good luck on your next outing.

bretmoua
08-15-2011, 09:33 PM
I heard Knoxville was really awful on opening weekend. Here's what I read from a hunting forum.

I hunt the ranch bordering the Knoxville hunting area. Opening weekend was a real lesson on what uncontrolled access on a great area will achieve. Public land is a disaster, at least in this case.
Game wardens established a check station off Knoxville Rd. in which they wrote numerous citations. Most of the culprits were given to Mexican nationals. DFG had no authority to investigate immigration status.They had to cancel the operation Saturday afternoon because of the fire some idiot set near the Zim Zim entry to the area.
Warden told me there were 158 vehicles parked along the road. They had reports of people shooting at night and just randomly firing into brush thinking they would scare hiding deer.
People are just plain stupid and ultimately ruining a good thing for everyone. Nearby land owners (who were confronted with a massive poaching problem), the Yountille DFG, Napa Sheriff's office, and the Napa County council members are petitioning the State for a change. The options being researched include a complete change to preserve status (closure), special hunt, or junior hunt.
Sad, real sad, people are so stupid.....

outdoordude
08-17-2011, 06:23 AM
that is just sad. thats why I learned archery a long time ago. archery season is alot different. not near the pressure and some cool special hunts to boot.

smithstation
08-19-2011, 09:28 AM
that is just sad. thats why I learned archery a long time ago. archery season is alot different. not near the pressure and some cool special hunts to boot.

I agree, I love archery season. I have met more "real outdoor" people archery hunting than rifle hunters. It seems I run into a lot of guys wanting to party and have fun rather than focus of hunting during rifle season. These are just my personal experiences and I know there are both good and bad with both. Good luck tomorrow to the archery guys!!