PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any good recipes for catfish?

angler4christ
08-10-2011, 08:44 PM
If yall have any good recipes let me know!

BeefCakeScout
08-11-2011, 09:35 AM
You mean besides deep fried in cornmeal?
Fish cakes are good. Chop the fish up fine,add breadcrumbs till its a biscuit dough consistency,add an egg or two until its back to a meatloaf consistency. Add a few chopped green onions,some italian parsley,old bay,cayenne,salt,pepper,onions,worchestershire,lem on zest and shallow fry in olive oil. Tasty! Catfish doesn't fit a lot of applications short of being fried in something.

BIG_ONE
08-11-2011, 12:31 PM
Heavy coating beer battered nuggets dip in tar...awwwww...:worthy::worthy::worthy:

BeefCakeScout
08-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Heavy coating beer battered nuggets dip in tar...awwwww...:worthy::worthy::worthy:
HOMEMADE tartar.......:drool:

angler4christ
08-16-2011, 03:36 PM
mmmm beer battered... Why didn't I think of that????

Nick145
09-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I prefer mine baked. Here is my homemade recipe.

1. Soak in milk for 12 hours in a container that will allow you to stack the fillets and add 1 of milk over the top of fillets
2. Remove fillets from milk and cut into strips about 3" long and about 1.5" wide.
3. Now put strips in same container that has been rinsed out with hot water. Fill wit milk again and let soak for 1 hour.
4. Preheat oven on bake setting to 300 degrees and line a cookie sheet with foil.
5. Put 1 cup of Italian bread crumbs in a bowl. Season bread crumbs with lemon pepper garlic powder and basil to taste.
6. Coat strips in Italian bread crumbs mix and place on pre lined cookie sheet.
7. Bake for 10-20 minutes depending on thickness of strips.

Enjoy,
Nick145

trebleface
09-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Ive read so much about soaking in milk, what does it actually do to the fish?

JwG
09-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Ive read so much about soaking in milk, what does it actually do to the fish?

Hey trebleface,

This is a multi-layered answer. Milk products (Milk, buttermilk, yogurt, heavy cream, sour cream) are used as a marinade with many meat products such as chicken, liver and fish. In Indian cooking they use yogurt on many dishes.

Some say that the enzymes in milk products denature meat proteins, thus acting to tenderize the meat. Others say that it helps lock in moisture in the meat. Still others say that it helps pull out strong flavors such as gaminess, one reason why they use it on liver.

It can also help with making batter coatings and spices hold to the meat while cooking.

In use on chicken and other meats, after cooking the milk product pan drippings can also be used as a gravy base.