PDA

View Full Version : wheres everyone fishing this weekend?

newtothegame
08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
noaa looks kinda sketchy .. breezy in the bay with a negative tide in the morning ..blah for halibut... waves look 5-6 ft about 8 secs ... dunno about going outside like that ... and i was thinking of striper fishing up the napa .. but launching out of vallejo low tide at 8am ... at -.5 ft ... nice ... crap

so rio vista area?

drift for butts/stripers in the bay and hope that you find some fish really early before the winds kick up ? my boat hates the waves/wind by alcatraz when its choppy ... no good at all ...

anyways might be a good day to just relax at home and not burn fuel lol ...

any thoughts?

coldtalks
08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
noaa looks kinda sketchy .. breezy in the bay with a negative tide in the morning ..blah for halibut... waves look 5-6 ft about 8 secs ... dunno about going outside like that ... and i was thinking of striper fishing up the napa .. but launching out of vallejo low tide at 8am ... at -.5 ft ... nice ... crap

so rio vista area?

drift for butts/stripers in the bay and hope that you find some fish really early before the winds kick up ? my boat hates the waves/wind by alcatraz when its choppy ... no good at all ...

anyways might be a good day to just relax at home and not burn fuel lol ...

any thoughts?

ok lets not fish then....LOL

fishyman
08-12-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm going rockfishing out at the Farallons, most likely on the New Seeker. Probably gonna hook a coupla nice fat ones. On the 17th, I caught this monster 6-7 lb Vermilion, as well as a decent barber pole.
:Gone_fishing:

Pintail
08-13-2011, 03:00 PM
I've been fishing Bodega Bay well this year and thought I'd give the bay a try. Turned into one of those "and there I was" days.

Kinda of a snotty day.

Still was better then working

nitty917
08-13-2011, 10:54 PM
was out there today, action was slow in the morning, the bite TURNED ON! around noon. central bay, flats.
went home with 3 butts and 2 stripers, loss my limits. My hooks or setup wasn't keeping them hooked today.
bad day. very frustrating. nice bites, with nice swings and solid connections. just didn't stick. fed them today.
maybe back out in morning to bring them back home.

newtothegame
08-14-2011, 10:40 AM
looserod - so you fished bodega? i havent gotten out there this year yet .. i have had a few of those "and there i was" type of days lol just wondering now what lol

Nitty - sounds like an awesome day in the bay .. always nice to find a bunch of fish and stay on em :) ... any size to em? I assume you were using live bait?

fishyman - good luck at the farralones! give us an update and post some pics!

Starcraft27
08-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Launched out of Berkeley Yesterday morning at 6am. Got some shiners in the livewell, and fished the flats for nothing. Headed out to the swirl and a caught a few small sharks that I released, and 1 keeper striper. On the way in I saw a Sea Lion making a lot of commotion in the water. Took a closer look and it was eating about a 7ft Sturgeon. Very interesting. I have never seen that before and I wondered if the sturgeon was injured from something else or the Sea Lion got it all on its own. All in all nice day out and not too rough.

newtothegame
08-16-2011, 05:30 PM
Charvet - nice report! Sorry to hear that you didnt have much luck driftin the flats .. i was thinking of maybe going out this coming sunday and giving it a shot ... maybe weather permitting for salmon outside or rockfish ... we will see....

as far as the sturgeon vs sea lion thing ..yes i have seen it happen myself .. i hooked a good size sturgeon over at the powerlines in rio vista and had a sea lion that swam by my boat turn around once i hooked the fish and it went airborne ... the furbag swam right over to the fish that was still fighting me on the line and then it brought it to the surface with its jaws clamped right about 6-12 inches behind the dino's head and flung it back and forth on the top of the water ... he ripped the crap outta this sturgeon ... didnt even eat it .. when my line broke i had the little red plastic slider that holds your sinker left on the line and it was skimming on the surface back towards my boat and the furbag saw this and let the fish go and came to check out what was skittling on the surface back to me lol ... crap

end result ... me - no fish , furbag - no fish

i have had them eat plenty of stripers/salmon/ halibut ... but only once a dino and never a shark or ray lol

crap lol