PDA

View Full Version : Set the Hook or Not?

Fishmeister
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM
When trolling for salmon do you believe in a good hard hookset or do you believe the hooks should set themselves and you would risk pulling the hook out? I always run sticky sharp hooks and keep them that way.

What about mooching or back trolling?

Thanks

AnglingWes
08-24-2011, 02:15 PM
I always set the hook hard after the bite just to make sure the hook is set good. If it pulls out, then you weren't going to land the fish anyway most likely. Less heartbreak loosing it on the hookset vs. loosing it at the boat when it sees the net coming.

manloko
08-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Mike 415 said he tried it both ways and neither one increased his hook ups :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

fishenrick
02-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Boat or downrigger or both does the work for you,hook is already set specially if your main line is braid, mooching then you are using a circle hooks,once the rod loads up just start reeling fish on

kokaneeCommander
03-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I go with the speed of the boat, a good tight downrigger release and sharp hooks to set the hook. Once the fish has popped the release or the angler manually I coach guys on my boat to reel as fast as they can until they feel the pressure of the fish. It's just my opinion that any hook setting espcially from a new angler has the potential of giving the fish just the little slack needed to throw the barbless hook. When trolling I always recommend a siwash style hook. The long point penetrates deeper than a octopus putting more steel deeper into thier lips. Another note with the siwash is to slightly offset the point to the shank. This will also help in more and deeper hook ups. As of last year I switched all of my rigger rods to braid being i was fishing on the bottom for the kings in 150ft. plus water. With near zero stretch hook ups were great and alot of blow back taken out. Giving less slack on the release. Just my .02. Can't wait to get back at them. Nick "KokaneeCommander"

acldo6390
03-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Nice topic and I'm sure many have their own opinions in regards to setting the hook or not setting. I just tend to think of trips taken on past charters. Look around and see who is catching the fish, it is my observation that the very experienced or novice anglers catch the salmon. Both those groups tend to reach the same results but through two very different tecniques. The experienced angler catches the fish cause he recognizes the "bite" for what it is, he or she knows that the Salmon tend to be “up feeders” so the bite is very subtle. They tend to reel and allow the rod to load and thus hook the fish as the circle hook was intended to be used. Now the inexpereinced angler basically reaches the same conclussion but only because they do not recognize the bite and thus allow the Salmon to do the work for them and hook itself (I need to believe this as my wife had an epic 12 hook-up day last year). Those anglers who are in between experienced and newbies in regards to experience tend to yank that rod and end up missing the hookset.
In regards to trolling, I let the boat/rod/downrigger do all the work. As long as you keep a taunt line and ensure those hooks remain sharp you only have to worry about the occassional thrown hook. I also have seen more fish lost around the boat so it pays to have a person who can sling a net and get that fish in the net as soon as it approaches the surface. I watched one deck hand knock three nice Kings off last year for the same guy, started to feel he had it in for the fella...

Seon
03-24-2012, 07:05 AM
I ...I coach guys on my boat to reel as fast as they can until they feel the pressure of the fish...

Being that I'm new to Salmon fishing and got a very late start..Aug last year, I lost several by setting the hook. Then I was advised not to, and just start reeling as you described. I was able to boat a few more, but unfortunately the season ended.

I'm ready this time. Downriggers prepped with new wire, net outfitted with a longer handle, new to me larger boat and a full season to fish. Life can't get any better :signfishon34hi6zv:

Fishbucket
03-24-2012, 08:27 AM
No hookset, Reel fast get weight on the rod and keep it on the rod.