PDA

View Full Version : trout fishin 8/24. NEW RIVER, 12 fish!

dirty530
08-24-2011, 05:13 PM
tried out a new river today. i woke up late, and was on the water around 7:30-8. i was very skeptical; nothing's as good as my spot.. i was wrong. hiked for miles along crazy steep hills and waded through knee high water; saw a 3 foot plus and a one foot rattlesnake all within 5 feet of me and a few girthy spiders as big as my index finger! this was a VERY DANGEROUS spot to fish, even for me but i could tell i would be fishing were few have.

i started off tossing my new Lucky Craft Pointer SP50 in ghost rainbow and after a handful of casts i got a good bite but it came off. i grew excited, hoping i'd land a trout on a jerk bait so i tossed it out a couple times more and reeled in, to my suprise, a smallmouth!

caught two more in the same area using the Pointer, then i went upstream to a deeper pool. i saw TONS and TONS of smallmouth in the 2-5+ range. yes 5+ pounds! for a second i was thinking, 'oh well, i'd love to catch more of these if there aren't any trout'. i tossed the pointer into the riffles that met the head of the pool and on my first retrieve i saw a beautiful, heavily spotted rainbow chase it. i cast out in the same direction and it hit it once and followed it in to me. i became tooo excited!!! i decided to switch up lures... and if you've read my posts before i'm sure you know what i went with... the kastmaster flasher method. BOOM!! it was cast after cast and i'd get a bite. landed a couple in the same spot.

walked even further upstream and fished various pools, either getting bites or landing fish out of all of them! i got a ton of bites out of one pool but only ended up landed a smallmouth (my biggest yet) and a smaller trout.

walked upstream even further and caught a trout or two and after that i decide to head back. when i got to my car, i spotted a pool that probably gets a lot of traffic but i was sure i'd land something.. i walked down past all the people and caught a small smallmouth and a smaller trout.

overall i had a great day fishing a new river. caught 5 small mouth (today was my first day catching a smallmouth) and 7-9 trout; i'm just gonna say 12 fish total ;) i DEFINITELY plan on fishing this river much more and giving "my spot" a much needed break.

crazyfisher
08-24-2011, 05:29 PM
good job dirty530...can you take a picture of the kastmaster setup :)

smallmouth are fun to catch, they put up some fight

CAL916BEAR
08-25-2011, 10:30 AM
nice! Was that on the american still? or whole different river?

man that lucky craft pointer minnow must be the smallmouth killer cuz after reading one of your previous posts where you mentioned that lure i picked one up myself(also got one for my bro in law), went out to union valley last week and camped and first cast my bro in law caught a 2 1/2lb smallmouth on that lure! Didnt end up catching any trout on it though! was a slow 3 days up at the crystal basin, though we did 4 wheel up to gurle creek and caught 10-15 wild browns and rainbows all 10-12 in....and yea i'd love to go hit it up with you one of these days PM me and well set somethin up sometime!

dirty530
08-26-2011, 07:33 AM

man that lucky craft pointer minnow must be the smallmouth killer cuz after reading one of your previous posts where you mentioned that lure i picked one up myself(also got one for my bro in law), went out to union valley last week and camped and first cast my bro in law caught a 2 1/2lb smallmouth on that lure! Didnt end up catching any trout on it though! was a slow 3 days up at the crystal basin, though we did 4 wheel up to gurle creek and caught 10-15 wild browns and rainbows all 10-12 in....and yea i'd love to go hit it up with you one of these days PM me and well set somethin up sometime!

ya the lucky pointers are the s**t. the SP65 work really well for bass, so do the SP50s. if you're going for trout, i read SP50s are the way to go even though i've caught a bow on the SP65. we should go fishing sometime, i'll PM you and we'll plan something

JTroutMan
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM

Didn't think you need 4 WD for Gerle? i.e. access usually good from Ice House road...although maybe you came in from pilot creek side of Stumpy....yeah, a few nice browns in there.....