PDA

View Full Version : help!

GetEm925
08-26-2011, 06:11 AM
I recently bought a Mossberg 500A off my brother with two barrels a 18.5 inch and a 28 inch for hunting now a buddy told me i couldnt shoot steel threw this gun that it would mess it up alot is this true? please help i dont want to ruin this gun or have it fail on me while out in the field.

Fishbucket
08-26-2011, 07:42 AM
That's an old wives tale... if the was built before the invention of smokeless powder then I'd be worried.

The steel in an 80's gun can handle the steel shot no problem...

before anyone flames the statement.... Steel is of course harder then lead right? so it would (in any gun) wear the barrel faster.

Short story: Shoot away, you have no problem with that gun.

iron-man
08-26-2011, 08:39 PM
I shot a Browning auto 5 (hump back) abt a 1975 model for a few years with steel shot. Then I bought one that was made for steel shot. I think the real problem is that most older guns had a full choke barrel and with steel a modified choke (barrel) is the tighest choke suggested. Mossberg, being a cheaper gun might not have real good stell in the barrel. But I would be concerned abt the choke. IM

Waterdog
08-27-2011, 12:34 PM
I have put over a thousand rounds of steel through mine - no problems.

GetEm925
08-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the feedback!

bass fishin
09-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I used to own one of those. Nothing in the owners manaul said anything about not being able to shoot steel shot. The longer barrel is for shooting bb shot and the shorter barrel is for shooting slugs. If I remember correctly, the longer barrel had just 1 or 2 dots that you would line up for aiming like most shotguns and the shorter barrel had actual sights like a pistols since you would actually have to aim directly at a target to hit it with just 1 slug vs. a 100 or more bbs.

tonsofun
09-05-2011, 06:16 AM
It all depends on how old your gun is. If its relatively new then dont worry. Had the same prodlem with my 870 and 1100 that were handed down to me. They have fixed chokes. Had to figure out how old the guns were.

MyPhoenix2301
09-05-2011, 06:46 AM
Most modern shotshell ammo has the shot in a plastic shotcup of some sort so the steel shot would not be making contact with the bore. The choke would be a concern as it could cause higher pressure in the barrel. Get a barrel with interchangeable choke tubes.