PDA

View Full Version : Farallone's Report 6-9-07

dbass
06-11-2007, 06:04 AM
Went on the Goldeneye 2000, boat limits of lings and rc. I came in second, in the jackpot derby, my ling was a 1/2 lb (25lb) lighter than the beautiful boccacio. We used live anchovies, sanddabs and hex bars kicked ass (14oz). This Captain doesn't get enough credit, he fishes farther out than most boats. I would say it looked like we were the only boat in the vicinity of the islands. I will send pics as soon I get me a cable for my camera. The fishing is off the hook :), even though is early.

keciga1
06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you got limits and a quality ling.

żżż
06-12-2007, 06:58 AM
That's great news about full limits on the boat. Sounds like things are starting to heat up - yahoo!

The guy that won the pot on your boat is a buddy of mine. I was in shock when he told me the size of the bocaccio - still waiting to see a pic of it. As far as I can tell, that was a new state record -
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/anglingrecords.pdf
It'll be great to see pics of your catch too. Please post them when you have a chance.

I've gone fishing with Quong several times. I think he's able to fish farther out because his boat is faster than most of the boats out of Berkely. I remember heading out one time and we passed boats that left 15 minutes ahead of us.

dbass
06-12-2007, 11:42 AM
Yea I thought I had it bag :) till they pulled out that Bocaccio last :'(. Your buddy is a first class citizen! 8-)

sethonious
06-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I have to see a photo of that bocaccio!

shon42073
06-14-2007, 04:03 PM
The golden eye 2000 and the new golden eye always do a great job, Stay away from the hali, and the silver fox. How can you not have good fishin at the islands ? If you like using bars, you should cut off the strong steel hooks that come on them and replace em with lighter bronze hooks, this will allow you to straighten out the hook in the case of a snag, Then again why use a bar when you have the real thing right there, I figure a bar is imitating a bait fish but yet you have plenty of live bait on the boat.

slick88
06-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Stay away from the hali, and the silver fox. How can you not have good fishin at the islands ?

I haven't been on either boat, but I was just curious as to what were your presumably bad experiences on the Hali & Silver Fox.

shon42073
06-14-2007, 05:39 PM
The Hali is all about money as is the case with many party boats, they will not hesitate to overload the boat to make a buck, the silver fox is a way slow and very old boat, The captain and deckhand are rather rude as well. This capt. actually had the balls to lecture me In a rather rude way after I lost a salmon last year. Up till last year I used to fish alot of party boats, at least 20 trips a year, and I can tell ya if you wanna go from berkeley get on the cal. dawn, or one of the goldeneyes, from emeryville you gotta get on the new huck finn.

Bottom_Bouncer
06-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Went on the GoldenEye 2K Sunday the 10th. Limits on RC and Lings. Large Vermillions were the order of the day along with Large Lings. Some people had double keeper sized lings on one drop...20 minute battles ;D Hope the person that won pot with huge Boccacio threw it away, otherwise a lot of worm picking back at home :-?

By the way shon, the Hali is owned and run by the youngest of the Vo brothers-Phat, and Quang's brother. He is not about the money. The hali will stay out until limits are caught. Been out with Truong many of times and wanted to come in, I had my limits, but he would laugh and say catch some more so everyone has limits! This guy would take the slower Hali (formerly known as the original "GoldenEye") out past the Farallones when no one else would dare go on windy days. I think your assessment is completly unjustified, incorrect and not fair...unless there is a another boat named Hali that is spelled different such as Hale. Can't remember which way Troung's boat is named though.

People crowd the boat cause of his rep. Fish, fish, fish! He is not one of those captains that putts around catching blues, and blacks then back at the dock by 2pm. In the chance you get to fish with him inside the Gate, you will learn of hell-of spots to fish for 'butts and stripers. Not just the given areas that everyone knows about. One time he darn near had the boat on the beach at Fort Mason over the sand bottom there. Butts everywhere, wide open...bet most captains and fisherman don't know about that spot!

Currently his boat is being serviced for new engines, he was awarded a grant by the state since it's an older boat. State is paying about 80% of cost for engines. Recommend anyone to go once done. This guy can fish just like both of his brothers...

Until later, keep chasin 'butts

Bottom Bouncer

p.s. If you ain't bouncin bottom, you ain't fishin!

żżż
06-15-2007, 07:15 AM
OK, I saw the pic. It's deceivingly small looking until you look at the proportions, and fact that it was already half-fileted! It was the only picture of it. I'll see what I can do about getting it posted.

I thought Quang's brother ran the New Golden Eye?
http://www.sfsportfishing.com/NewGoldenEye/index.html

He has a third brother?

slick88
06-15-2007, 09:21 AM
By the way shon, the Hali is owned and run by the youngest of the Vo brothers-Phat, and Quang's brother. He is not about the money. The hali will stay out until limits are caught. Been out with Truong many of times and wanted to come in, I had my limits, but he would laugh and say catch some more so everyone has limits! This guy would take the slower Hali (formerly known as the original "GoldenEye") out past the Farallones when no one else would dare go on windy days. I think your assessment is completly unjustified, incorrect and not fair...unless there is a another boat named Hali that is spelled different such as Hale. Can't remember which way Troung's boat is named though.

I found this link which showed the previous captain:

http://www.sfsportfishing.com/goldeneye.html