PDA

View Full Version : New regulation changes

GUSANO
09-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Just finished reading off of F&G website. FYI

Doves: White Winged doves added to statewide harvest

Wild Turkey: Pellet gun minimum is now .177 cal for Turkey. before was .20 cal min. I got a strong .177 thats great for quail. I know it can down a Turkey. looks like I finally get to try it out this season.

And F&G added domestic pigeon to the non-game list. It sounded like it was already non-game but it wasn't on the list.
~

calamari
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Feral pigeons/Rock Doves have been available for hunting for some time but only during the Band Tailed season and subject to the same bag limits. This restriction was pushed by various racing pigeon associations so their very expensive birds weren't constantly being shot. I don't believe it's an open all year season and no bag restriction deal like Starlings and English Sparrows. This change is just to make this restriction clear. If it's otherwise, post the wording that says we can shoot pigeons all year.
Here's the wording for the change:
Fish and Game Code Section 3800 classifies domestic pigeons as non-game birds and prohibits their take except as provided for in the Fish and Game Code
or in accordance with regulations of the commission. However, Fish and Game
Code Section 3680 authorizes the taking of domestic pigeons/rock doves
(Columba livia) in the same hunting context as shooting or taking wild band-tailed
pigeons. California Code of Regulations, Title 14 Section 677 authorizes the take
of domestic pigeons during dog training or organizational field trials. Title 14
Section 472 contains provisions allowing the take of two non-game birds: English
sparrows and starlings. This proposal would clearly allow the take of domestic
pigeon, making this section consistent with other Title 14 and Fish and Game
Code sections permitting the take of domestic pigeons.

GUSANO
09-19-2011, 08:32 AM
never thought of the racing pigeons. right on for the correct wording. I didn't bother reading on the reg cause really I have no interest in shooting pigeons. thanks though!

GillzNfinz925
09-19-2011, 09:22 AM
My cousin is a fish and game and we were just talking about that. Theres no bag limit on them and it is open all year,the only one is the bandtail is what they call rock dove there on the coast we dont get them inland.We go out in layout blinds with some mojo doves and dozen pigeon decoys and do work on them,they decoy great. Its a great time! Gets you ready for the ducks!!!!

dbass
09-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Bandtail's are not the same as rock doves, because rock doves are not native to the US. The feral pigeons/ barn pigeons are descended from the rock dove not bandtails. The shooting of barn pigeons is great way to teach novice hunter on how to hunt birds over decoy, blind building, camo, and no movement. We used pass shoot them and prop them up like their alive and let loose the carnage.

calamari
09-19-2011, 08:12 PM
This looks to be the revised section of the regs. which adds pigeons to unregulated status but they don't make it easy to be sure. I guess the racing pigeon guys didn't buy a good enough lunch.
472. General Provisions. Except as otherwise provided in Sections 478 and 485 and subsections (a) through (d)
below, nongame birds and mammals may not be taken.
(a) The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year
and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: Domestic pigeon, English
sparrow, starling, coyote, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree
and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).