PDA

View Full Version : BUTT FEST 2007 BS THREAD

keciga1
01-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Just wanna thank everyone again for the great time. Aren't we do for another one soon???? ;D ;D ;D

donzitroller
02-01-2007, 06:19 AM
Just wanna thank everyone again for the great time. Aren't we do for another one soon???? ;D ;D ;D
Does that mean you're volunteering?

;D

ric1ric
02-01-2007, 09:14 AM
You heard it here first, Ivan is our new leader!! ;D Build us one to remember there Ivan.

ric1ric
02-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Boy that was a thread killer

smithstation
02-02-2007, 10:26 AM
You heard it here first, Ivan is our new leader!! ;D Build us one to remember there Ivan.

How about the end of Feb? It is supposed to be a wet monthand that will make the bite even better!! Or is that too much too close together? It may be short notice but we dont have to have the pot luck and all, just get together again and fish!

donzitroller
02-02-2007, 03:06 PM
Boy that was a thread killer
Man, Mickey was right.. I did it again..

A fest is a fest is a fest.. we can have one whenever we want.. whenever the organizer wants to make it happen.

;D

rlammi
02-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Make it happen Ivan I still have roe just need to pick up some pile and ghost shrimp ;D ;D
Ron .

P.S. we can potluck on the water

keciga1
02-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Sorry guys, hadn't looked at it for a day or two. I have no problem with it. Just give me about a week or so to see if I get this new boat. I would love to brake it in on a fest. I was wondering what everyone thaught about doing one 100% on the water. Get a couple of big floatillas going and spend the whole weekend like that. Just a thought. I'll get back with you guys. Also another thought would be to do a halibut fest. The season should be jumping in a few weeks. Let me know guys.

Ivan

rlammi
02-03-2007, 07:14 AM
Hey Ivan try and make it after the weekend of the 17th I have t work that weekend I usually have weekends off.
Ron

donzitroller
02-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Also another thought would be to do a halibut fest. The season should be jumping in a few weeks. Let me know guys.

Ivan
Now you're freakin talkin Ivan! Lemme in on some o dat!

;D

JonnyP
02-05-2007, 09:44 AM
I'd be totally up for a Hali fest, if the fishing was off, you're within easy distance of SPB and I'd could even run my pots for giggles.

Oh yeah, like the idea of that.

Where would we camp though?

timetofish
02-05-2007, 09:54 AM
Put me down for sure for a Halibut fest!! I already told myself I'm catching some 'but this year!! :D

smithstation
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the halibut fest should be mid June?? Best time of year and the stripers, sharks, & maybe even a salmon are in the bay. Just my 2 cents. That will be a good opener to the salmon fest ::)

As for dinos, I will be out around the 21st of this month. Anyone else for a mid week trip?

LTZOUT
02-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Never been halibut fishing but would love to learn how. Would to get the beast of in the salt.

LTZOUT
02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
I'm still sick. So let me try that again. I would love to get the beast out in the salt.

Bassassin
02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
I'm always up for spanking a nice 'but or two. Talk about a catchy name too; Butt Fest 2007. And can you imagine the shirts? ;D

FISHINFOOL
02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
I think the halibut fest should be mid June?? Best time of year and the stripers, sharks, & maybe even a salmon are in the bay. Just my 2 cents. That will be a good opener to the salmon fest ::)

As for dinos, I will be out around the 21st of this month. Anyone else for a mid week trip?

Let me know when,where I'll see if I can get out.They where spanking the sturg around here this weekend in Suisun-Pittsburg & such.
Paul
Lonewolf

rlammi
02-05-2007, 11:52 AM
I am down for a prefest fest ,but if possible wuld like to hook up with someone and leave my boat at home .If it swims I will fish for it . ;D
Ron

JonnyP
02-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I think the halibut fest should be mid June?? Best time of year and the stripers, sharks, & maybe even a salmon are in the bay.

I would vote late April or early May. Two successive fests June and July would not get Departure clearance from Dragon Ops at this point.

Besides, June is *five* months away :-)

I wanna go sooner than that!

smithstation
02-05-2007, 01:40 PM
I think the halibut fest should be mid June?? Best time of year and the stripers, sharks, & maybe even a salmon are in the bay.

I would vote late April or early May. Two successive fests June and July would not get Departure clearance from Dragon Ops at this point.

Besides, June is *five* months away :-)

I wanna go sooner than that!

I hear ya on that. I think I will bring the boss for the salmon fest and let her go into the city and shop. She will only fish one full day before she wants to go spend some $$ :o. *
Maybe the weekend before or after Easter? Will people have any vacation time around then?

I started a butt fest page on the salt water link. Maybe move some of this talk over there mods??

donzitroller
02-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Hmmm.. Anytime works. Camping is gonna be tricky down there.. I've camped in the parking lot of the launch before, but a Sniffer Fest is a TOTALLY different kinda turnout.. With the way we roll a KOA would be much better suited for us.. :D Fishin in da city is tough.. slips are always an option. Just a thought. Bay locals, input on this one?

keciga1
02-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Hmmm.. Anytime works. Camping is gonna be tricky down there.. I've camped in the parking lot of the launch before, but a Sniffer Fest is a TOTALLY different kinda turnout.. *With the way we roll a KOA would be much better suited for us.. *:D Fishin in da city is tough.. slips are always an option. Just a thought. Bay locals, input on this one?

I will drive by the SL marina and see if they allow overnighting. If not I think the ramp off of Alameda rockwall would be a go but will have to check it out. I'm pretty know everyone knows that there is no fishing allowed in the bay durring night. I'll come up with something since I think I'm the closest one to the fishing grounds. I would vote for beggining to mid April. The only reason why is because I remember that time last year the butt fishing was red hot, with some stripers and lot's of sharks mixed in.

Ivan

dimpala95
02-05-2007, 07:06 PM
You can fish in the bay at night, you just can't anchor up anywhere and fish at night due to commercial traffic - can you say tanker or container ship.

Ivan, you could also use Estuary Park in Oakland. There is a free launch with washdown and bathrooms. I don't know about camping in the park but I don't see why we couldn't sleep in our vehicles. San leandro would be better since they have a bigger parking area and is a straighter shot to the hunting grounds depending on where we'll be fishing.

Double_D
02-05-2007, 07:44 PM
This would be a good time for me to take up captfishalot's on his offer to fish for Butt's......he likes Big Butt's

chicofishrmen
02-05-2007, 08:55 PM
Ok you guys are killin me! I had to sell my soul to Dragon Op's to make the Bodega fest, so I doubt I can make this one http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif But I hope I can help, so I can http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cry.gif when the reports come rollin in. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif As a former Bay Area resident, I know camping is very limited there. However there is one spot I've always dreamed of camping, and is in ideal location...............Angel Island!

Private boats can use the boat slips or mooring buoys at Ayala Cove; day and overnight fees are collected. Mooring buoys can be used overnight. Paid overnight boaters may use the island with their dingy only until 10:00 PM.

Dock area and finger piers are closed at sunset. After sunset private boats must anchor offshore or on mooring buoys in Ayala Cove.

All the specifics can be found on this website;

http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=468

If that doesn't work, what about Lawson's Landing in Tomales Bay? Great camping & fishing IMHO.

FF_MYRL
02-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I'm in for a butt fest!!! Check the tides and pick our dates.

donzitroller
02-06-2007, 06:46 AM
If that doesn't work, what about Lawson's Landing in Tomales Bay? Great camping & fishing IMHO.

Great location, but when does halibut start picking up there? I'm assuming around the same timeframe as Bodega so that puts us a little behind fishing in the bay. I love the combat camping, and I'm sure that would be right up Sniffer Alley! The only thing I don't like about Lawson's is the launching, they stop running the tractor WAY too early for me and if you don't make it, you're on your own. Self extraction of a small boat is ok, bigger boats a little tougher, especially at high tide.

Chico, sorry you ain't gonna be able to make it, maybe you can pull some flim flam and work it out.. I'm sure Team Pile would be able to find a seat for ya if you can make it!

With a centralized location like the Bay, I would expect a good turnout, and I'm not sure if whatever city PD would appreciate 30 or more rigs with people sleepin in their trucks. Having stayed at the launch in Berkeley, I can say that the PD there didn't hassle us at all..

I like the Angel Island idea Chico, definitely worth looking into!

timetofish
02-06-2007, 07:04 AM
However there is one spot I've always dreamed of camping, and is in ideal location...............Angel Island!

I think that's a GREAT idea. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

smithstation
02-06-2007, 10:08 AM
When we charter the 6-pack out of Emeryville we would drive over the evening before and sleep in the parkinglot. No one hastled us but that area is definately too small for a fest. What about a wal-mart perking lot? They are like motel six, they will leave the lights on for ya. Is there a Walley mart around?

I am sure it wouldn't be very close to the launch but it is always an idea??? :-?

SwimswithFishes
02-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Sorry to butt in on this thread but:

Careful with the Regs guys.

You cannot fish from a boat in SF at night whether you are anchored or not!

27.56. Take General.
Except as otherwise provided, there are no closed seasons, closed hours or minimum
size limits on fi n fi sh in the Pacifi c Ocean including all saltwater bays except that in San
Francisco Bay between the Golden Gate Bridge and the Carquinez Bridge and in saltwater
tributaries to the bay within the area bounded by Interstate 80 and Highways 17, 101 and37. [b]Finfish may not be taken between one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise
except from shore or piers.

LTZOUT
02-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Any firm dates yet??

Burt

Martinez Frank
02-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Count me in for the butt fest, Emeryville has a free launch and a good size parking lot. The halibut fishing is good around Angel island and berkeley. I work for the city,I will try to get some insider info on the hot spots from the Emeryville Sportfishing guys. There is no walmart close by but there is some hotels near by. You can spend the night in the marina parking lot. My boss lives in San Leandro, I will find out about their marina

donzitroller
02-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Having stayed at numerous hotels in the Oakland/SF/Berkeley/Emeryville/San Leandro areas.. I wouldn't be letting my boat out of my sight. Do so, and it might just be for good!

Martinez Frank
02-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Don't blame you Donzi I wouldn't either. Emeryville Marina isn't bad but in town is a different story especially at night. The police station is right down the street from the boat ramp and parking lot and they patrol regularly

keciga1
02-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Sorry guys, I've been bussy this past week but I'm hoping to drive by SL marina sometime this week and see if the parking lot is a go there. I also want to swing by the launch ramp in Alameda by the Rockwall and check that out.

Ivan

ZACK
02-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Hmmm.. Anytime works. Camping is gonna be tricky down there.. I've camped in the parking lot of the launch before, but a Sniffer Fest is a TOTALLY different kinda turnout.. *With the way we roll a KOA would be much better suited for us.. *:D Fishin in da city is tough.. slips are always an option. Just a thought. Bay locals, input on this one?

I will drive by the SL marina and see if they allow overnighting. If not I think the ramp off of Alameda rockwall would be a go but will have to check it out. I'm pretty know everyone knows that there is no fishing allowed in the bay durring night. I'll come up with something since I think I'm the closest one to the fishing grounds. I would vote for beggining to mid April. The only reason why is because I remember that time last year the butt fishing was red hot, with some stripers and lot's of sharks mixed in.

Ivan

Halibut fishing in the bay can get real good in late April and run as late as October. However, I wouldn't plan on it till some time in June just to cover your butts (pun intended). I have fished this fishery hard for over a decade and have seen many years that didn't get started until June and as much as you would like to do this thing sooner it would really suck if we did this and the bait and halibut weren't in the system yet. Also, has anyone looked into having a get together in Berkeley? They have the best location as far as fishing goes and the area isn't as sketchy???

I will be at this fest for sure if you guys get er goin and would also be willing to print out a little hand out on the where to fish, etc. ZACK!

MoMoney
02-14-2007, 06:54 AM
I see people in motorhomes staying the night in berkeley all the time,they also have signs posted and I think up to 72 hrs is ok.

Martinez Frank
02-14-2007, 08:06 AM
There you go I think Berkeley is the ticket. And they have some good resturants there also

FF_MYRL
02-14-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree with berkley and the tailgate party in the parking lot, after a day of fishin.

Martinez Frank
02-14-2007, 02:56 PM
I talked to the guys at the bait shop in Emeryville they said It gets hot for halibut starting in May

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Berkley is what I was thinking too..Do it every year. Love it, fish eat sleep and fish some more and the beer store isnt far either ;D

Im in, keep me posted on this one IVan ;)

donzitroller
02-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Like I said, I'm down for whatever.. if we can swing a few nights in the parking lot, so be it.. I just sleep in the RV.. oh wait, it's a boat! Or is it an RV? I sleep as much as I fish lately so I don't really know the difference!

STURGEONSTOMPER
02-14-2007, 03:08 PM
Either way,its all good. I can hear the bouy now..

Bong

bong

bong

ZACK
02-16-2007, 09:04 AM
I have gone over the tides a bit and feel these are the two best "weekends" in the not too distant future that are fish-able all day both days. The weekend of 6/9 thru 6/10 offers a decent medium out go in the am (which is ideal for Halibut)followed by a good push in the afternoon which will be prime for halibut and stripers too at places like the rock pile and the gate side of Angel Island, etc.

06/09/2007 Sat 01:08am *1.6 L *06:52am *4.0 H *12:37pm *0.8 L *07:39pm * 5.8 H
06/10/2007 Sun 02:11am *0.8 L *08:24am *3.8 H *01:31pm *1.4 L *08:19pm *6.1 H

The tides on this weekend are FANTASTIC for the same reasons as stated above but a bit down the road from now.

08/04/2007 Sat 04:09am *4.6 H *09:43am 1.3 L 04:35pm 6.1 H *11:08pm *0.9 L
08/05/2007 Sun 05:33am *4.0 H *10:33am *2.0 L 05:22pm *6.3 H

The hard thing in planning this for the weekend is it is hard to find a weekend other than these two above that offer kick butt conditions all day both days. No huge, or minus tides, or tides that are soooooooooo slow you'll have to get your kicker running just to simulate a decent drift or abandon drifting entirely in favor of trolling. Either way too weak a tide does not stimulate their natural instncts to feed by pushing the bait around and bunching em up on structure, etc, and too strong a tide will have fish not seeing your baits. Halibut are a sight feeder. One of if not thee best stealth, ambush predators you will ever see but they have to see the bait 1st before they can lock on it.

Below is a link if anyone else would like to look into the fishing conditions for the months of June, and July. May doesn't look as good and might be red hot, or cold as ice (depending on whether or not the bait has moved into the bay bringing in the butts and stripers). I have Slammed these fish in early may in years past but I have also seen many years where the fishing flat out sucked in May and did not get into full swing until June but never later than that. Just want to make sure you guys that will be coming from a distance and taking the time to set up for this will not be disappointed by poor fishing. ZACK!

www.songslinger.net/tidebook.htm

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3948/24lbhalibutus6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

LTZOUT
02-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Just a bump to keep it fresh.

kromebrite
02-19-2007, 02:47 PM
i am very interested, and I'm liking ZACKS 6/9 weekend.

Brettskih
02-20-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm in for June.Zack is right May could be a real let down.But heck, that's why they call it "fishin",and not "Catchin" I would much rather catch though! Brettski

LTZOUT
02-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Bump. Just don't want to lose this.

okie
02-28-2007, 05:58 PM
just run across the BUTT fest, haven't heard of it befre and would be interested in attending. have used party boats out of emeryville the last 2 years. if anyone has a space on there boat that wouldn't mind and old man joining them i would appreciate it.

smithstation
03-01-2007, 10:22 AM
Any firm dates yet? lets get this thing written in stone!!

ultralightfan
03-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I don't do much saltwater fishing, but I have always wanted to target Halibut. If anyone has some room on a boat, I would love to go.

greggywhat
03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
you dont need a boat to catch butts ;D just a throw net a ballon and a 5/0 hook with about a 1/2oz sinker i caught 15 keepers on berkeley pier in about 8 to 10 trips down there

smithstation
03-05-2007, 09:30 AM
I don't do much saltwater fishing, but I have always wanted to target Halibut. *If anyone has some room on a boat, I would love to go. *

When the dates are confirmed just sign up and tell them you will need a ride. There are always open seats.

vito
03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I'm into this. I will have an open Seat, but have never fished for Halis before so if anyone that wants to school me - that doesn't have a boat- Maybe we can work something out.

LTZOUT
03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Lets get er done!!!

blue_chrush
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
heres a listing of all the launchs and pics and whats there....
camping/or rv sleeping *would be a plus....
a campfire would be even better yet....lol

http://www.boatingsf.com/catpage.php?category=marina

donzitroller
03-06-2007, 05:11 PM
BC, that's a great link! I'm dyin to do the Angel Island thing.. I just need to find a way to boil crabs on the boat..

Remember, the early bird gets the worm, and we'll never know when the butts truly start showing up if nobody's out there fishing for them.. sounds like a great job for.. YOURS TRULY.

I wanna boat a butt in March. Or die trying.

:P

blue_chrush
03-06-2007, 06:41 PM
yeah spending the night in the cove there moored up and
would be the bomb.... but for some land would be better....
a spot needs to be found though....
I'm all in......

*http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:dsAyc29mG6wzeM:http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1789775/2/istockphoto_1789775_poker_player_going_all_in.jpg

Mickey_Thomas
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
I read all four pages, no date yet >:( I might head down there the weekend after next, can't wait any longer for you guys to set a date ::) I like Butts :D

keciga1
03-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Ok guys and gals. How about the weekend of 04/13-04/15? I think everyone agreed that the destination would be Berkeley marina parking lot. There is also a good size parking lot by the pier. Let's get this thing going.

Donzi, there was a person trying to catch them this past weekend trolling with no succes. It might still be a little early.

Ivan

ZACK
03-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Ok guys and gals. How about the weekend of 04/13-04/15? I think everyone agreed that the destination would be Berkeley marina parking lot. There is also a good size parking lot by the pier. Let's get this thing going.

Donzi, there was a person trying to catch them this past weekend trolling with no succes. It might still be a little early.

Ivan

See my reply #43.
I want to go just as bad as anyone else but I don't want to jump the gun and have many travel a good distance if the fish aren't in yet. ZACK!

Know_Excuses
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
That is why we call it fishing and not catching ;) With all the other fests in the mean time and inbetween time its kind of hard to squeeze a butt fest in there.But that being said the dates look good, your doing a great job on your first fest organizing Ivan ;D ;D Oh and hey Vito, if you still have that empty seat I can fill it for ya ;D ;D call me
Later
KE

keciga1
03-07-2007, 10:46 PM
An alternative weekend would be 04/27-04/29

okie
03-08-2007, 06:37 AM
i agree with keciga, from what i have been told by the people at emeryville, both at the marina and on the different boats i've been on, late aprile is when the butt fishing starts really picking up, however, i'm just an okie, what do i know. my objective is to go fishing.
okie

timetofish
03-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Ivan....Just set the date and start the sign-up page and everything else will start to gel. We need to get a date written in stone so we can start to REALLY plan this out. I personally think April 27-29th is fine.Let's get ready to spank some Butts!! *:D

ZACK
03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
That is why we call it fishing and not catching ;) With all the other fests in the mean time and inbetween time its kind of hard to squeeze a butt fest in there.But that being said the dates look good, your doing a great job on your first fest organizing Ivan ;D ;D Oh and hey Vito, if you still have that empty seat I can fill it for ya ;D ;D call me
Later
KE

"That's why they call it fishing?" :o

Let me clear it up for you "Up River" guys. It's kind of like getting ants in your pants and planing to fish a run of salmon early. True there have been runs in years past that have started at this time but you run the risk of being out there when the river is a complete ghost town. If you wait a bit and plan a date when you know they will be there your in business. I personally don't want to be out there catching nothing but sharks n rays all day if the bait and later fish haven't arrived yet.
The date of 4/13 thru 4/15 won't be good for anything except Sturgeon (Count me out on that day I wouldn't waste my gas on conditions like that). An outgoing tide like that will muddy up the water good. I personally don't care what Emeryville, or Berkeley sportfishing says. They start every year at the same time whether there are fish to put you on or not and there fore their opinions are biased. Their job is to put A$$' in seats. End of April is do-able but you are gambling....
True, I have seen years when "prime" fishing kicks in early May, but I have also been out many years all jacked up, eager beaver and nothing was there yet and took an expensive boat ride alllllll day. *

I still say the best time when you KNOW they will be there is
06/09/2007 Sat 01:08am 1.6 L 06:52am 4.0 H 12:37pm 0.8 L 07:39pm 5.8 H
06/10/2007 Sun 02:11am 0.8 L 08:24am 3.8 H 01:31pm 1.4 L 08:19pm 6.1 H

I'll be there if you guys are hell bent on the last weekend in April but if the fishing blows, don't say I didn't warn you. ZACK!

aintscared
03-08-2007, 11:12 AM
I REALLY like the June Dates Zack has come up with !!! :D
Here is an old post-------

halibutking

Rookie

I love the Fish
Sniffer!

Re: SF BAY Report
Reply #7 - 06/15/05 at 11:05am We also fished by the Berkely flats and nailed 5 Halis. 3 stripes and numerous of sharks. Biggest hali went 23.2oz. Caught three on 1st drift. the other two on the 2nd and 3rd drift. I thought we hit the lotto. The stripes were caught during those drifts.

fernley_tim
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I love the june dates 8-)

FF_MYRL
03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
june sounds great to me. last year mid june we were catching limits and most were over 20# fish.

ZACK
03-09-2007, 10:22 AM
june sounds great to me. last year mid june we were catching limits and most were over 20# fish.

Preach Brotha, PREACH! ;D

Bring these sacto eager beavers into the light! *;D

ZACK! 8-)

freon
03-09-2007, 12:15 PM
there is going to be a pyramid fest on 4/22/07 that a lot of sniffers go to, if you dont plan it in the middle of may or later, you will have a lot of no shows, just a heads up. I would be game, but I think I would like the beginning of June as well, for the fish and the temperatures.
Just my two cents worth.

LTZOUT
03-09-2007, 01:02 PM
Just my 2 cents worth ;).
The June dates work best for me. I will be in Costa Rica, with my wife, during the middle of May so those dates are no good for me.
Burt

okie
03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
june sounds good to me too, but if anyone is going butt fishing before then and have a seat open, i would be happy to dive down from reno to go with you.
okie

GCinGV
03-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Zack is right on about the dates. Itís kind of a roll of the dice to plan an early season, Halibut trip in the bay this far in advance. Some years the bite is on fire in April and May but others almost nothing until June and itís hard to predict. Allot depends on the rains and runoff between now and then. Baitfish and Halibut donít seem to like that fresh water. This far in advance Iíd also pick June except Iíll be on another trip then. Sounds like a blast though.
GC

blue_chrush
03-10-2007, 07:14 AM
rains,winds,runoffs,whatever....salmon is opening in april and
that month is going to be all about salmon...
not to mention easter break, may has memorial day and june
has nothing till july 4th... better weather too...
so the june date would be better, and as for the statement
thats why they call it fishing.. sure you might not catch one.
but don't throwaway good planning and preperation to just
lets go and try... I hate getting skunked... >:(
not to mention gas at 3.25gal about is not cheap....
and for some of you, the june date....
take your wife or kids and drop them off at pier 39 or salsualito
and let them have a day of it on the wharf walking around and having
fun then pick them up later so they can clean your fish....lol
june is the best so far..

Brettskih
03-10-2007, 07:25 AM
Now your talkin!!Makes much more scense to go out when we have a chance!June/July are great out there.And Blue Crush brings up a very good point on the gas price!!

fishing brian
03-10-2007, 09:43 PM
June sounds perfect to me. I am going to try and attend the fest at Pyramid in april and the Bodega fest is a for sure so June is great. Ive always heard June is the best for Hallis down there. Long ways to drive for a big maybe. But Ivan you just plan a date and who ever can make it will. Its your fest Bro!-LUNKER-

keciga1
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
^^^^

keciga1
03-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Just an FYI, live bait in Berkeley should start having live chovies arround May 1st or sooner.

Ivan

Brettskih
03-17-2007, 06:45 AM
usually April when salmon season opens.

blue_chrush
03-17-2007, 08:05 AM
watch this and see what its all about boys......

smoking reels and tight lines.....enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcIM2ckxH1c

donzitroller
03-17-2007, 01:43 PM
BC, great link! Thanks for posting it. :) I ckecked out a few others while there and found another one that was a guy cleaning a butt.. very cool!

HOW TO FILLET A BUTT (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLyrV3jQTQE)

blue_chrush
03-17-2007, 02:35 PM
see donzi,
you lean something everyday....
the tuff grass matt under the fish is going on my table..
never even thought of that, but makes sense and keeps
the fish from moving around and easy to clean up.. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

last yr at the cleaning tables a guy was putting up 20.00
for anyone that could fillet 3 rock cod faster than him...
he stripped and fillet one fish in the time it took me to
get the slab off one side, he was really fast...
found out later he use to work as a deckhand down south
and out there the faster you are the more money you make..
being fast is an art and requires a super sharp knife...

gmdcdvm
03-17-2007, 03:19 PM
I like that nice power handle the guys has on the penn senator in the video. I saw an older gentleman last year with a similar handle that he had custom made. I guess he had some arthritis in his hands, and coudln't really close his fingers around the stock handles.

okie
03-18-2007, 10:13 AM
donzi, great video. that looks alot easier than the way the deckhands on the boats out of emeryville do it. i think i may be able to fillet a butt after watching that. thanks
okie

keciga1
03-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I like that nice power handle the guys has on the penn senator in the video. I saw an older gentleman last year with a similar handle that he had custom made. I guess he had some arthritis in his hands, and coudln't really close his fingers around the stock handles.

Gerry, I remember that guy. It was when we went on that salmon trip.

Halibut are super easy to clean. The main thing just like with any other fish is to have a super sharp knife.

At the fest I can do a demo for those of you that dont know how to filet a halibut.

Ivan

smithstation
03-21-2007, 10:50 AM
THis needed a bump!! ;)

So, who plans to troll and who plans to drift? Personally I have never trolled for buts so I think I will give it a try.

keciga1
03-21-2007, 07:53 PM
I plan on doing both. Wonder what happened to the sight up board?

Ivan

metalmouth
03-21-2007, 07:58 PM
It's still there. It's just invisible so that I could sticky TSL's thread for tonight. I can cut it loose if you need it. Just PM me.

MM/Don

keciga1
03-25-2007, 10:17 PM
They are starting to show more and more. I believe by next month we should start getting live bait at Berkeley marina. Just an FYI

Ivan

timetofish
03-26-2007, 06:29 AM
I know I'm ready for em' to start showing up!! Hey Ivan you ever troll/drift swimbaits for butts? I know they're not as good as live bait but I heard they can be deadly.

Speaking of live bait....anybody know of a good small bait tank I could slap on my swimstep? I've been looking at the Kodiak PF-14. Anybody running a homemade tank?

Brandon

keciga1
03-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Never tried it but have also heard they're supposed to be good. You can also troll frozen herring or anchovies.

Ivan

ZACK
03-26-2007, 01:16 PM
I know I'm ready for em' to start showing up!! Hey Ivan you ever troll/drift swimbaits for butts? I know they're not as good as live bait but I heard they can be deadly.

Speaking of live bait....anybody know of a good small bait tank I could slap on my swimstep? I've been looking at the Kodiak PF-14. Anybody running a homemade tank?

Brandon

Shoot me a pm with your number if you like and I can tell you how to make a dandy.

ZACK! 8-)

STURIPER
03-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Brandon

Shoot me a pm with your number if you like and I can tell you how to make a dandy.

ZACK! 8-)

ZACK,

Hook me up!! :)

Joey,

LTZOUT
03-29-2007, 06:56 AM
BUMP

The cream always rises to the top!!!

timetofish
03-30-2007, 07:07 AM
Word on the streets is that there's quite of few 30+ inchers being caught in the Bay. I might be floating out in Berkeley sooner then I thought. :D

ZACK
03-30-2007, 07:55 AM
Word on the streets is that there's quite of few 30+ inchers being caught in the Bay. I might be floating out in Berkeley sooner then I thought. :D

Me personally I usually start in May. They may be thick in there by then or not? However, June is peak season and I can't wait to see us all (especially 1st timers) hammer em in June at the fest. I will try to be available to all who are signed up and will be attending either via pm's or in person before hand and will do my best to help in your success. ZACK!

EastBayAngler
03-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Im gonna be a butt fest virgin :-/ :-/ :-/
Wow that sounds BAD!!! :-?

smithstation
04-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Im gonna be a butt fest virgin :-/ :-/ :-/
Wow that sounds BAD!!! :-?

EBA,
Not a good choice of words!! Butt funny none the less!! ;D ;D
It will be a good time by all who show up. See ya there!

EastBayAngler
04-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Im bringin the moonshine & banjo.....Were gonna get down!
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5224/karatecatwt6.jpg

KAPOW...-EBA

Martinez Frank
04-04-2007, 11:51 AM
Im bringin the moonshine & banjo.....Were gonna get down!
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5224/karatecatwt6.jpg

KAPOW...-EBA

Het EB Angler, looks like the dog and cat got into some of that moonshine

EastBayAngler
04-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Maybe this would be better suited
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/4776/halibutdd1.jpg

keciga1
04-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I was going through my pictures and came across this one. These beautys were caught last year over by TI.

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/262/potluckhalibutnz7.jpg

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/8321/potluckhalibut2uc6.jpg

Ivan

EastBayAngler
04-07-2007, 09:42 AM
They look like twins ;) nice work!-EBA

LTZOUT
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
How about one of you guys post up a shopping list of tackle we should bring with us for the fest. I have never fished for "butts" before so it would be great to have a list of tackle I will need that weekend. Not looking how to set it up but a list to go pick up.

What size hooks??
Lead size(oz)??
Type of swivels?? 3-way swivels??

Thanks, Burt

STURIPER
04-10-2007, 06:33 PM
How about one of you guys post up a shopping list of tackle we should bring with us for the fest. I have never fished for "butts" before so it would be great to have a list of tackle I will need that weekend. Not looking how to set it up but a list to go pick up.

What size hooks??
Lead size(oz)??

Thanks, Burt *

IVAN,

LTZOUT has a great point! That would help me also!

Joey

ZACK
04-10-2007, 08:56 PM

What size hooks??
Lead size(oz)??

Thanks, Burt *

2/0 Owner octopus hooks. Red if you can find them but chrome or black is fine too. 30 lb mono for leader roughly 3 to 4 feet long. When you tie on your hook use the same loop the use on a snailed hook. 3 way swivels, and 8 inches of mono for your drop to a snap swivel for your weights. For main line 10 to 14 lb either mono, or braid and an assortment of weights from 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8's. You will mostly use 3's and 4's. Small bait cast reels like the type you would use for black bass, or river salmon and a pole with a little back bone but very noodle like at the top 3rd of it.

Just do yourself a favor and don't go too heavy. If you can't take my word for it bring two set ups and try them both through out the day. Your pole will resemble something you would use for cat fish, or black bass. 7 feet is always a nice size for a boat rod.

ZACK!

keciga1
04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
What Zack said. for hooks you can also get the Owner live bait J hooks with a steal ring attached to it that way you don't have to tie any loops. For those of you that don't want to purchease new rod/reel your striper outfit will work too with the line Zack mentioned. For example an Abu Garcia or a Shimano Corvalus size reel. I will try to take a few pictures of the leaders I make and post them as soon as I get a chance. Zack made a good point to me yesterday about having a light set up you can hold in your hand all day. The style of weights used are either round cannon ball or torpedo.

Zack, what's the progress on the boat so far?

Ivan

ZACK
04-11-2007, 03:21 AM
What Zack said. for hooks you can also get the Owner live bait J hooks with a steal ring attached to it that way you don't have to tie any loops. For those of you that don't want to purchease new rod/reel your striper outfit will work too with the line Zack mentioned. For example an Abu Garcia or a Shimano Corvalus size reel. I will try to take a few pictures of the leaders I make and post them as soon as I get a chance. Zack made a good point to me yesterday about having a light set up you can hold in your hand all day. The style of weights used are either round cannon ball or torpedo.

Zack, what's the progress on the boat so far?

Ivan

Boat interior is DONE! :D Now I have got anual motor matinence to do. Got to come correct out there. Dares sharks in dim dare swells! :o

ZACK! ;D

LTZOUT
04-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks guys!!
Now I have an idea of what I need to pick up before the fest. So, a rod like a bass cranking rod? I would have shown up there with my striper rod even though I tend to go light weight for all my fish. Are you guys planing on live bait or dead bait. My plan is to mount a ice-chest w/air on the swim platform for live bait.

Burt

keciga1
04-11-2007, 08:43 AM
Burt, you have enough room to mount a 55gal drum or 2 on your swim platform. These bait fish like to concentrate in corners so when you put them in something round you will eliminate that. You should try and make a livewell like Zack has. Here's a link with instructions.

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1175026321

Ivan

ZACK
04-11-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks guys!!
Now I have an idea of what I need to pick up before the fest. So, a rod like a bass cranking rod? I would have shown up there with my striper rod even though I tend to go light weight for all my fish. Are you guys planing on live bait or dead bait. My plan is to mount a ice-chest w/air on the swim platform for live bait.

Burt

Use what ever works only thing wrong I can see about using a ice chest is when you open it your bait tank may spill out a lot of bait when the water really gets rockin?
You need a container you can cut a hole in with edges so the water won't spill. Small 30 gallon (not the larger 50) barrels I have found to be the ticket. Put your drain about middle of the barrel and it will hold roughly 15 gallon of h20 with enough tank above your water line to keep the bait and water in while fishing in rough seas. ZACK!

Ps. You have to have live bait!!! Dead catches fish but pales in comparison to live and dead will also get the attention of every trash fish in the bay. The only place dead will do you right is trolling...

LTZOUT
05-08-2007, 07:21 PM
Should I reserve some live bait for that weekend? I'm leaving for vacation & won't be back until 5/21. I don't want to get left out on the bait. Or can it wait til I get back? What do you guys think?

Burt

keciga1
05-08-2007, 07:45 PM
Should I reserve some live bait for that weekend? I'm leaving for vacation & won't be back until 5/21. I don't want to get left out on the bait. Or can it wait til I get back? What do you guys think? *

Burt

Where are you gonna be gettin bait from? We ussually get the bait first thing in the morning before we head out.

blue_chrush
05-08-2007, 10:01 PM
trolling dead works just as good.....
but theres usally live over by fishermans wharf
at I think H&H bait 25/30 scoop.....
but with baitfish being hard to get will see...
just know theres allot of things you can drag
and get hooked up other than live bait....

fernley_tim
05-10-2007, 09:47 AM
here is another option that you could mount on your swim step instead of mounting it in the bow like mine * http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9262/1000917yk2.jpg http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/8052/1000918cg3.jpg

LTZOUT
05-21-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey guys what's going on. Just got back from vacation.

Ivan is there live bait????? When I left it look as if there was going to be.

Burt

keciga1
05-21-2007, 10:19 AM
We got live bait. $50 for a full scoop and $30 for half.

LTZOUT
05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
SWEET!!!!!

I'm calling right now to get a slip for the weekend.

LTZOUT
05-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Ivan, what's the name of the marina that we're going out of again?

keciga1
05-21-2007, 12:40 PM
Ivan, what's the name of the marina that we're going out of again?

Berkeley marina

keciga1
05-31-2007, 11:31 AM
BUMP

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
05-31-2007, 12:19 PM
I'm planing on going to this on saturday does anyone have an open seat on their boat. I'll gladly split costs and bring some beer along

-SBF

PeteK
05-31-2007, 02:04 PM
SBF i know for a fact i have 1 seat open maybe 2, if my buddies back out like they normally do then ill be solo. If thats the case ill have a 20 ft Nr seahawk all alone. your more then welcome to have a seat.

keciga1
05-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Finding a seat at a fest should be no problem. I have yet to hear that a sniffer got left at the docks at a fest.

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
06-01-2007, 08:27 AM
what time does every one plan on hiting the water on saturday? I'll be driving up from san jose saturday morning.

-SBF

smithstation
06-01-2007, 08:58 AM
My boat is staying home. ZACK said I can jump in with him on Sat. Thanks ZACK!!!

Who is going to bring the BBQ? I will bring the pork if there is a way to cook it.

LTZOUT
06-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Who's ready to kick some "BUTT"????

I going to my work in the morining to mount the ice-chest on the swim platform.

I took Friday off so we will be in a slip by late afternoon.

Burt

blue_chrush
06-01-2007, 06:32 PM
with the tri city holding there tourney that weekend and all
and there going out of that marina as there weigh in spot...
its gonna be a mad house... get your live bait early and launch
early.... parking could be a problem...
if you just had all of us it would be alot, now add a huge tourny
and its going to be crazy......

keciga1
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
bump

PeteK
06-05-2007, 10:29 AM
how is the weather forecast for the bay this weekend? Also if some1 has a fast way to determine what the ocean out of the gate will be like would be good also.

keciga1
06-05-2007, 06:47 PM
how is the weather forecast for the bay this weekend? Also if some1 has a fast way to determine what the ocean out of the gate will be like would be good also.

Here are the websites I use.

http://www.wunderground.com/

http://www.fishweather.com/

Fri Through Sun
W winds 5 to 10 kt...increasing to 10 to 20 kt in the afternoon. Patchy fog.

krzyfshrmn
06-06-2007, 08:03 AM
OK, I think I might be in for Saturday.....might need a boat ride though if anyone is interested. I've even been known to catch a Halibut or 2 ::).

keciga1
06-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Erick knows his stuff and is a great deckhand to have on the boat. He's fished the bay so he knows where to go. You won't regret having him onboard.

freon
06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Erik, if I take my boat, you are more than welcome on it and if I go in another boat, I will ask for that as well, the reason for the other boat is because mine isnt big enough to out past the gate and some salmon would be nice as well, I will know the boat situation later tonight.

exocet
06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Here are a couple of weather forecasts for this weekend:

Moderate to strong NW flow holds along the coast with a favorable Peninsula and Coastal site setup next few days. Delta wind prospects increase with marine layer return as well.
North Pacific High deflects incoming low pressure systems north of the region and in turn gets pushed up against the coast for the next few days with moderate to strong NW winds. Peninsula sites favored in this setup as NW to WNW winds continue each afternoon with the Delta possibly seeing more action as the marine layer deepens this weekend.

Friday:
Gradients may tip offshore to start, but shift onshore by the afternoon. Coastal winds rebound back to upper teens to low 20s Tomales, Bodega, Waddell. Sherman start probably slow without hefty marine layer, chance for mid to upper teen push during the afternoon. Peninsula excels to low 20s, stronger mid 20s in the channel. Crissy, TI upper teens. Berkeley mid to upper teens.

Saturday:
Similar to Friday for the coast and Peninsula though deeper marine layer may provide a later start, a little stronger with less of a northerly cant to the winds for East Bay sites. Crissy, TI low 20s. Delta could go stronger upper teen start with deeper marine layer.

Sunday:
Models continue to hold strong NW flow along the coast, so with clearing look for another round of 20s into Bodega, Tomales, Waddell. Peninsula sites also see more low 20s with clearing. Crissy, TI low 20s. East Bay low 20s as wel.

and the NOAA forecast:

.FRI...SW WINDS 5 KT...BECOMING W 10 TO 20 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
.FRI NIGHT...W WINDS 5 TO 15 KT. PATCHY FOG.
.SAT...W WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. PATCHY FOG.
.SUN...W WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. PATCHY FOG.

Tides for the weekend at Berkeley Flats:

Friday

Low Tide 12:37 AM 2.39 feet
High Tide 5:48 AM 4.37 feet
Low Tide 12:15 PM 0.33 feet
High Tide 7:22 PM 5.41 feet

Saturday:

Low Tide 1:43 AM 1.59 feet
High Tide 7:11 AM 4.01 feet
Low Tide 1:09 PM 0.89 feet
High Tide 8:01 PM 5.81 feet

Sunday:

Low Tide 2:41 AM 0.70 feet
High Tide 8:43 AM 3.88 feet
Low Tide 2:04 PM 1.47 feet
High Tide 8:42 PM 6.22 feet

PeteK
06-07-2007, 07:49 PM
What is the dock set up like down there? As i figured my buddie backed out on me and now looks like i have to unload this boat alone. That wont be to much of a problem i dont think if dock access is good. Ill have to launch the boat then tie it up and go park my truck. Im planning on as of now getting there sometime tomorrow evening hopefully about 6 or so.

Forgot to mention that i know have an extra seat for saturday and sunday

keciga1
06-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Don't worry about that. You'll have a ton of sniffers to help you launch. Remember, at a fest, you're not alone. The dock is easly accessible by the way.

spinfisher
06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
The Eastern contingent is heading for Flaming Gorge tomorrow, and if it wasn't for the big fat kokanee, we would be totally miserable to miss the 'Butt fest! Maybe next year, but in the meantime, catch a coupla boatfuls, have a great Fest!

Tight lines, calm seas, and big halibuts to you! [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=yahoo.gif]