PDA

View Full Version : Our elk hunt

trout wrangler
09-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Headed up for my sons apprentice elk hunt in the Marble Mountains. Went up for 9 days, after three days we found three cows heading up a ridge, then came out a big 5x5 Bull. All we could see was the rack towering above the brush. We never got to see his body to get a shot. The cows spotted us and took off and the bull bolted through the brush not to be seen again. 4 days of hiking many hard miles we were headed back to the truck and with about 100 yards to go look up the hill and see this spike bull. I told my son we only have 2 days left so if you want it than take it. I know he was pretty tired and worn out so he was ready. I couldn't have asked for any better pack out only 50 yards down hill to the truck. Love the smile on his face. Good bull for a California draw, I'm still waiting to get drawn. Did get stopped by the Warden and he said that he talked to 9or 10 other hunters and we were the only ones that he heard of that even seen any elk. It was still very hot and never heard any elk bugling.

Sorry forgot to download pic

outdoordude
09-23-2011, 07:53 AM
congrats trout to you and your son, pleanty of good eats there. hope I get drawn someday.

smithstation
09-26-2011, 01:33 PM
Congrats!! Any elk in CA is worthy!! You and your boy did great!!