PDA

View Full Version : I tried to fish ICR......

Jfitalia
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
So my girlfriend and I drove up to ICR Sat evening with the hopes of fishing ICR the next morning. We set up camp and had some food and a few newcastles before bed. We woke up the next morning and drove down the dirt road towards the dam to find 20 MPH winds!!! My GF was not enjoying the wind so we packed it up and left for the carson instead. I noticed a lot of tubers launching at ICR and I hope to fish it again soon but I have never fished it before so I really had no clue where to go at that lake. So back down the mountain we went and we hit every spot on the carson on the way back home. We probably caught 20-30 fish each (all DFG) and every spot from the white bridge all the way to hope valley held fish. We only saw a few anglers 6-7 total the whole trip and honestly one one person had caught a couple. Here is where i have a question for everyone.... My first question is that why do some anglers choose to go to the carson and find a school of fish and then throw on a weight and bait fish??? I can understand that its easy but when your sitting in a pod of fish and you arent catching fish at what point to you tell yourself " hmmm maybe i should try something else" Especially when other anglers (my gf and I) are catching a fish every cast throwing brown jigs... I just wonder at what point do we as anglers evolve to become better and not so one dimensional.

Anyways my rant is over! overall not a bad day and my gf caught a ton of trout so she was happy. I wish the would put some big ones cause I wanna watch her catch a pig!!!!!!!

dirty530
09-26-2011, 10:35 AM
can you take a pic or post a link to the exact type (brand too) of jig you are using for trout? i would like to try using jigs for trout, thanks.

Jfitalia
09-26-2011, 10:40 AM
can you take a pic or post a link to the exact type (brand too) of jig you are using for trout? i would like to try using jigs for trout, thanks.

No problem man! I will try and get one up tonight or tomorrow. As for the brans I like the ones made by trout traps. I am not a fan of the berkeley Atomic tubes at all. Again this is just my choice as I have seen people have success with the atomic tubes

Captain Compassion
09-26-2011, 10:45 AM
My first question is that why do some anglers choose to go to the carson and find a school of fish and then throw on a weight and bait fish???
Folks tend to use what worked last time. I've been fishing those bridges when people using salmon eggs were getting fish every cast and my little offerings were completely ignored. Go figgure. Sounds like you were trying to fish the right place at ICR. You just picked the wrong day. They don't call it "Windian Creek" for nothing. Had a friend fishing from a yak Thurs/Friday and he did quite well. Mid October the ICR fall season begins for me.

CC

Jfitalia
09-26-2011, 11:31 AM
Folks tend to use what worked last time. I've been fishing those bridges when people using salmon eggs were getting fish every cast and my little offerings were completely ignored. Go figgure. Sounds like you were trying to fish the right place at ICR. You just picked the wrong day. They don't call it "Windian Creek" for nothing. Had a friend fishing from a yak Thurs/Friday and he did quite well. Mid October the ICR fall season begins for me.

CC

Yeah I was shocked at how much wind there was. Was your buddy fly fishing?

auraleedal
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Loved your "rant." My husband and I tried to fish at "Windian Creek" twice and when we got ther, we could barely push the truck door open it was so windy. That place is currently off our list. Love the Carson and hope to be there more times this fall.

Jfitalia
09-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Loved your "rant." My husband and I tried to fish at "Windian Creek" twice and when we got ther, we could barely push the truck door open it was so windy. That place is currently off our list. Love the Carson and hope to be there more times this fall.

I really want to take my toon out there and fly fish but I guess I will have to check the weather better next time

Captain Compassion
09-26-2011, 03:23 PM
He was most likely dragging stuff like Kastmasters. Flys can be excellent at this lake.

CC

Marinpaul
09-27-2011, 10:00 AM
I used to think people were too prideful to ask for a tip, etc. Over time, however, I have come to the conclusion that people for the most part just aren't too interested in mixing up/learning new tactics or changing spots. To each his own!

Jetspray
09-27-2011, 09:48 PM
I used to think people were too prideful to ask for a tip, etc. Over time, however, I have come to the conclusion that people for the most part just aren't too interested in mixing up/learning new tactics or changing spots. To each his own!

Boy that is an understatement, just try what you have in your box and use techniques that work. Most of the time they will. I am always passing out stuff I use if I catch something and someone else could do the same and they don't have any of what I have. I am with CC on this one though most of the time ICR has a wind attached to it. Right now it is fuller that I have seen it in the 6 years I have been playing there........Jetspray