PDA

View Full Version : BUTT FEST.......must read for all who are going...

blue_chrush
06-02-2007, 07:27 AM
I just got off the phone with harbor masters office there
I spoke with angie and shes there everyday....
sat june 2--8am

1st....
they were not awhare of any fishing event being held there
next weekend or a group of people comming....
2nd....
there is NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING......
and there is no motorhomes, 5th wheels or trailers allowed overnight
any where on the marina......
3rd......
there are about 50spaces avibl for launching....
after that your out on the street and down the road...
this is the also weekend the annual tri city halibut fishing derby.....
and being that theres bait at this marina its going to get slammed....
4th....
if you launch and want to pinic across the street, fine.....
the park is closed at 10pm.......
NO ALCOHOL IN THE PARK, AND ALSO THE MARINA...!!!!!!!!!!
if your caught with an open contanier you may be sited or
asked to leave the marina........
5th.....
the marina doesn't want cooking, b-ques, and gatherings
in the parking lot..
if you want to have food and such, you need to use the park..
that is on a 1st come basis and you must use there fire pits...

I'm not trying to be the grinch on this.
I guess I assumed that this was going to be an overnight thing
and everything was worked out as to the location for everything
and people were notified that a large group would be there......
some have a long drive and driving back home at 10pm sucks.
I had planned on spending the night fri so as to get up early
and be there already as well as sat night not having to drive
anywhere and spending the night again.....
in the past all the fest have had a staging area and areas
to camp and hang out and have some fun and drinks....
this marina is not that place........

with a week away, these are some serious questions that
need to be addressed so this doesn't end up just being a
BUST FEST....

ZACK
06-02-2007, 09:48 AM
I just got off the phone with harbor masters office there
I spoke with angie and shes there everyday....
sat june 2--8am

1st....
they were not awhare of any fishing event being held there
next weekend or a group of people comming....
2nd....
there is NO OVERNIGHT CAMPING......
and there is no motorhomes, 5th wheels or trailers allowed overnight
any where on the marina......
3rd......
there are about 50spaces avibl for launching....
after that your out on the street and down the road...
this is the also weekend the annual tri city halibut fishing derby.....
and being that theres bait at this marina its going to get slammed....
4th....
if you launch and want to pinic across the street, fine.....
the park is closed at 10pm.......
NO ALCOHOL IN THE PARK, AND ALSO THE MARINA...!!!!!!!!!!
if your caught with an open contanier you may be sited or
asked to leave the marina........
5th.....
the marina doesn't want cooking, b-ques, and gatherings
in the parking lot..
if you want to have food and such, you need to use the park..
that is on a 1st come basis and you must use there fire pits...

I'm not trying to be the grinch on this.
I guess I assumed that this was going to be an overnight thing
and everything was worked out as to the location for everything
and people were notified that a large group would be there......
some have a long drive and driving back home at 10pm sucks.
I had planned on spending the night fri so as to get up early
and be there already as well as sat night not having to drive
anywhere and spending the night again.....
in the past all the fest have had a staging area and areas
to camp and hang out and have some fun and drinks....
this marina is not that place........

with a week away, these are some serious questions that
need to be addressed so this doesn't end up just being a
BUST FEST....

1st off I can see your wanting to be completely up front so you aren't impositioned.
How many that are planing to fish are actually bringing a boat and would like to stay over? Just skimming the list half are either not bringing a boat, or are from this area and will most likely be going home at days end and not staying over.

I too spoke to the harbor masters office a little while back but did not tell them we will be having 40 boats that will be staying over night and did not tell them it was a "FEST" of any kind. I was told about their no camping policy but they seemed flexible and said if we parked in designated area's for trailers it was ok to stay overnight.

As far as shutting down before 10pm not a problem. No alcohol is not the end all either. If you bring your own and aren’t howling at the moon it most likely will not raise a problem but that is your call. I realize I have never attended any sniffer fest before so maybe my expectations are different. I figured we would have a potluck at the park across the street from 5 to 9, share info/socialize. Say our goodbyes and possibly there would be 10 to 15 boats and trailers that would be staying over with the rest of us going home to come back in the am? Didn't exactly expect a keg party that would rage until the next day. *;D

Let me know exactly how many boats (not anglers) will be needing to stay over with their trailers and I will take it up with the harbor master.
I will not be talking to Angie, lol but I will speak to the harbor master himself, or ben.
If you all want a place to stow yourselves and your boat over night and shut it down by 10 I "might" be able to make it happen at Berkeley but if a rager party is what you want you are right we will have to look else where.

Let's figure it out ZACK! Below is a copy of a post I made earlier in this thread...

"Today I put a call in to the Berkeley Marina Harbor Masters office. The Harbor Master was not available but I spoke with his 2nd in command Ben. I know they do not allow general camping as I am sure they do not want to turn the marina into a rest stop for weary travelers, or a homeless encampment but I asked him regarding sport fishermen would it be alright if I came down with a group of friends from Sacramento and we parked our RV's with our boats attached could we spend the weekend fishing out of Berkeley and spend the night in our rigs and he told me as long as you stay in the parking lots designated for sport fishermen and pay your 5 dollars a day for your launch and have it displayed on your vehicle it shouldn’t be a problem. He also said they have slips if you would like to leave your boat in the water for 50 cents a foot per day. Grant it I was a little vague while talking to this man, but I did not wish to over whelm him with a planned fishing club event a.k.a. “BUTT fest. Lol *
As for a spot for a get together / pot luck I would suggest the park behind the boat launch. I think the park is named after Caesar Chavez and has grass and picnic tables, etc.

If you are planning on coming and considering staying over night I *would recommend you contact the Harbor Masters office yourself between now and then.
# (510) 981-6740"

blue_chrush
06-02-2007, 10:20 AM
zack thanks for the come back......
your right too, I count only 21 boats...
so not 30-40......
as for the drinks, I said soda is fine....
but it needs to be posted alcohol is not...
it just would have been nice to have a cold one...
and I guess I thought it was going to be an over night thing...
kinda like the pyramid fest, salmon fest, sturgeon fest.....
if its just gonna be a day thing then come back for sun guys.
I think we have a right to know that up front, *right?

I'm all for a great time but if its going to be a day thing....
then that changes how and when I would bring my boat...
not that my is a huge boat, but its not a lite weight alu either...
so I have to plan on where to stay, if I was going to fish 2 days
up there.
like I said, I don't want to seem out of line or needy.
just I don't think its fair to say it might be alright to
spend the night and I was I might get kicked out in the
middle of the night... and angie talks to ben about upcomming
stuff and they have meetings all the time... its not like she
a nobody there, she there everyday and hasn't heard anything
about this as of today till I called...
I just had high hopes of fishing and chill'n for 2 days up there.....
is that so wrong....lol

okie
06-02-2007, 12:07 PM
zack,
again thanks for all you are doing to get this set up, fernley tim and okie was expecting to spend the night there with ft's 20' boat and pickup.
not knowing the area, if we can not do that where is the nearest place to spend a couple of nights, fri and sat?
bill

ric1ric
06-02-2007, 03:01 PM
I talked to Ivan today he was going to check out a couple of other places today and post tonight so lets see what he comes up with before we all jump ship on the fest

blue_chrush
06-02-2007, 04:29 PM
hey if the homeless can sleep in there campers and cars
I know we can find a place to hang....
one guy told me about this lot on the otherside of
the freeway, say allot of homeless people camp here...
he use to have a boat, *but it got stolen......

http://archive.gulfnews.com/images/06/08/14/15_ae_cars_abandoned_4.jpg *

other wise you can buy one of these, its a tent to camp in.....
for anywhere in the city or on the streets......

http://i.treehugger.com/files/th_images/parkingcar-thumb.jpg * *

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

keciga1
06-03-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1173665866/90#90

CHICKFISHING58
06-04-2007, 01:59 PM
I'll have my boat and a truck was planing staying over Fri and Sat
I guess we could all sleep at Zack's [smiley=yikes.gif] ;) ;D

fernley_tim
06-04-2007, 02:11 PM
thats nice of zack to let all us nevadans to park our rigs and party at his place ;D ;D

okie
06-04-2007, 03:45 PM
i am getting the impression that we may not have a fest. right now i am just planning on bringing what i need to eat and not doing any cooking. if i have a bad impression, someone please correct me.
bill

CPTN_JACK
06-04-2007, 04:06 PM
I spoke to some fisherman at the ramp at Bazerkley Sunday,, They said by the way are u gona fish the Hali derb next weekend,, I ansewerd witch one?? *He said the FSer one,, said he saw a flyer at the ramp!! *I did not read it myself so dont know if thats correct,, Once the harbermaster sees that its no longer a low key hang out in the parkin lot deal!! * I always splash at dark thirty and theres always guys campin overnight there!! I think they want it to be off the record!! *Good luck with the campout,, sounds like a tough spot !! Hope all this *doesent kill the overnight stays for the few that arnt *envolved in derbs!!You know how that can go!!I think the bestway to plan an event is to double check first with the Hosts of the marina!! Ive learned from my Derb that it will bite u in the ass if u dont!!Hope to see ya out there!! *CJ [smiley=captjack.gif] PS.. BLUE CRUSH,, good thing for all u double checked,, could have been a mess!!

bassn
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
My buddies and I are down for whatever as long as we get to fish. We are comming from Sacramento, I just hope everything can be figured out before this weekend. Sleeping in the truck and/or boat is no problem with me just tell me where to park so I don't get an earlier than expected wake-up call telling me I need to leave. No matter what though we will be fishing on the bay Sunday. :)

ZACK
06-04-2007, 04:39 PM
I called the harbor masters office today and did not get the harbor master but did speak to Dave Shelly and got an ok for anyone who has a birth that they may sleep in their boat up to three days a week and they can leave their slip receipt on the dash of their truck that they park in the trailer/truck parking. Slips can accommodate boats up to 28 feet at a rate of 50 cents per foot. When I get to speak with the harbor master direct I will get more info......
I was also informed that they do have an area with volley ball courts, 4 picnic tables and 3 pits we could get together at for a social/potluck.

Please avoid calling the harbor master until I have spoke with him. I do not want to be put in a position to do damage control during my conversation if our get together is mis represented.

Hang tight we'll get it figured out and let you know what we will and will not be able to do and whether or not you decide to come will be an informed decision on your part.

ZACK!

keciga1
06-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Did a bit of phone tag today with the city of Alameda. Turns out the person that can give permission to overnite at Encinal doesn't work on Mondays so I'll give him a call tomorrow. If this doesn't work out my recomendation would be to anyone that can sleep in their boat to get a berth (50cents a ft up to 28ft) This way you can't get kicked out. As far as the potluck we can still do it but it's lights out at 10pm. I think out of everyone that is bringing their own boat most of them will be able to sleep on it so a birth would be a best option. Not only that but if you're birthed you can buy 1/2 or 1 scoop of bait (depending on how many people you're fishing on your boat) and keep it alive all weekend instead of buyin a 1/2 of scoom every morning before heading out. This will save you some $$$. For example, if you're fishing Sat and Sun and you have 2-3 people on your boat you can get away with 1/2 a scoop for both days. When we fished last week we had a bit less than a 1/4 scoop left at the end of the day for 3 guys and we fished from 8am till about 6pm. If you must stay in your truck there is a parking lot at the other side of the bathrooms where you can quietly spend the night and not get bothered.

keciga1
06-04-2007, 04:45 PM
I called the harbor masters office today and did not get the harbor master but did speak to Dave Shelly and got an ok for anyone who has a birth that they may sleep in their boat up to three days a week and they can leave their slip receipt on the dash of their truck that they park in the trailer/truck parking. Slips can accommodate boats up to 28 feet at a rate of 50 cents per foot. When I get to speak with the harbor master direct I will get more info......
I was also informed that they do have an area with volley ball courts, 4 picnic tables and 3 pits we could get together at for a social/potluck.

Please avoid calling the harbor master until I have spoke with him. I do not want to be put in a position to do damage control during my conversation if our get together is mis represented.

Hang tight we'll get it figured out and let you know what we will and will not be able to do and whether or not you decide to come will be an informed decision on your part.

ZACK!

At this point the more people that call the harbour master the more he's gonna think that there will be several fishing groups that wana camp out. Zack is handling the situation well so let's let him talk to ben. He's got a best chanve to get the ok from ben since the guy is also a fisherman and probably understands what we're trying to do. Zack I wanna thank you for steping up to the plate and helping me with the situation.

PeteK
06-04-2007, 05:15 PM
How many slips does this place have? sleeping on my boat looks like my option at this point. Which im cool with. Ill just put down an air matress in the back.

keciga1
06-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Not exacly sure how many they have but here's a map of the marina. When Zack spoke to them they said that they should have no problem providing us with births.

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8126/marinamapqt8.jpg"

blue_chrush
06-04-2007, 08:14 PM
in santa cruz its 1st come 1st served....
so which one is it for berkeley...
can we reserve it now...or on the day you get there.
remember this is going to be the headquarters for
the tri city derby too. and were not going to be the
only ones wanting to spend the night on the boats..
there derby is huge as you know for yourself....

also since you posted the live bait thing too....
I heard that a scoop is gonna be going for 70.00......
and a 1/2 scoop is gonna be 40.00
is this correct.......

keciga1
06-04-2007, 08:18 PM
1/2 a scoop is $30 and a full scoop is $50 You can call the harbour and reserve a slip. If you call, just call to reserve the slip do not mention anything about the fest.

donzitroller
06-04-2007, 08:48 PM
BC, Zack, Ivan.. thanks for the work and sorry bout the hassle. We'll be launching Saturday morning, early as possible and fishing for the day so camping isn't an issue. I know from the times I've fished out of there and stayed overnight, had a motorhome in the parking lot, and I slept in the boat. Berkeley PD even did about an hourly cruise through the parking lot and never said squat to us, beers in hand. HOWEVER, with that said.. a Fest is a much larger group of people and is a different matter altogether. Bottom line, the work you guys are doing is appreciated, and I'll be waiting to see how it turns out! Thanks again!

blue_chrush
06-04-2007, 08:52 PM
limits on halibut
I stand corrected

28.15. Halibut, California.
(a) Limit: Five in waters south of a line extending due west magnetic from Point Sur, Monterey
County, and three in waters north of a line extending due west magnetic from Point Sur, Monterey
County.
(b) Minimum size: Twenty-two inches total length.

I wasn't thinking..... just went to the site and forgot the big sur line...
my bad sorry..................

now for the harbor not knowing about our butt fest,
I think thats a little late.....lol
if I can get a slip, I'm getting one...

now, why shouldn't the harbor know about us....
whats up with that, are you just wanting everyone not
to call and ask about the camping thing..... fine.
but there a harbor and we have the right to use the site...period
I can only only think that they should know were comming..
being up front is always best... you have alot of people that
are depending on you to get the proper info out to them...
like when the lots full cars will have to park down the street
and may have to walk a ways back to the boat. and they should
know that its going to be crowded so getting there might be best.
and no where hear has it once been posted yet where/when you
would like to meet everyone.... for bait, or whatever...
a time should be given, like lets say meet at the docks around 7am
that way if your there early like 5am you can eat breakfast, or
even fish a bit and then come back in.....
or should we just launch, fish, and come back in ..........
whats the plan......???

I could care less, I'm fishing, and staying the night...
be it in a berth, or a local hotel, I'm fishing this weekend...

but if I hadn't called to check I would have been pissed to
find out I couldn't sleep there... in the car that is.
I'm fine with it now that I know whats going to happen....
thank you.....
smilin steve

all your efforts are deffinetly appricated I can assure you.
this is why I haven't ever steped up to organized one of these
cause I love to fish as much as you I bet, and getting there
only to stand around and make sure everthing is taken care
of and get off the water early to get more things ready...
it is a huge undertaking..... and offers little rewards to
one and can make you a hero or a zero.... I've done one
of these before and it was a ok, but I can assure you I
wouldn't do another one unless I got lots of help........

keciga1
06-04-2007, 09:10 PM
Donzi, Glat to see that TEAM PILE will be making it out.

BC, Thank you for the help. The reason I and Zack don't want anyone else calling and asking about the fest is because we don't want them to think that there are several different groups coming and wanting to camp. Also we don't want to have several different stories and confusions to the harbour master. Trust me guys, Zack is taking care of bussines as well as I am trying to get us permission for Alameda allthough I doubt that this plan will work. I did a count as far as how many boats will be coming and it was 17 out of those 17 I know for sure that at least 10 can/will get a slip, probably 2 or 3 most likeley will not show up so that leaves us with about lets say 5 boats and trailers and a few vehicles that will have to overnite at the parking lot. I belive if we do a potluck on Sat across the street and call it quits at 10pm and go to sleep there will be no problem. Same thing on Friday night.

blue_chrush
06-04-2007, 09:16 PM
so these are the tides for the weekend......
if you fish halibut they tend to like the couple of hour before
the high tide and a hour or so after the tide.....
with that said you can see the times you need to be there
for the best chance to get fish.....
or you can just fish whenever you want or all day..
for those who don't know. theres spots other than berkeley
that will have fish depending on the winds to.....
there are places you can hide for it and find fish too....
I'm sure Ivan or zack will give up some of those spots....
or a map to hand out to others might help too....

another fish are stripers too on the other side of alcatraz Is...
and out the gate got a bite last week at seal rock..

Tides for Berkeley starting with June 8, 2007.
Day High Tide Height Sunrise Moon Time % Moon
/Low Time Feet Sunset Visible

F 8 Low 12:36 AM 2.4 5:47 AM Rise 1:26 AM 56
8 High 5:47 AM 4.4 8:30 PM Set 1:25 PM
8 Low 12:23 PM 0.3
8 High 7:21 PM 5.5

Sa 9 Low 1:46 AM 1.6 5:47 AM Rise 1:52 AM 45
9 High 7:13 AM 4.1 8:30 PM Set 2:35 PM
9 Low 1:15 PM 0.8
9 High 8:00 PM 5.9

Su 10 Low 2:49 AM 0.8 5:47 AM Rise 2:18 AM 33
10 High 8:45 AM 3.9 8:31 PM Set 3:47 PM
10 Low 2:09 PM 1.4
10 High 8:40 PM 6.2

blue_chrush
06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
if we do a potluck on Sat across the street and call it quits at 10pm and go to sleep there will be no problem. Same thing on Friday night. *

forshizle.....
as you can see above early is going to be the call...
so 10pm is plenty late, and after I share a couple cold ones
with you and share tales on whos got the biggest fish,
I'm going to be tired.....
plus we have to do it all over again...lol

donzitroller
06-04-2007, 09:31 PM
BC, I often find that I have to schedule my fishing and fishing can't schedule me.. when I can be on the water I fish, and fish pretty hard. Sometimes it's skunk-0-la, sometimes not.. what makes fishing fun is spending time on the water with cool people.. Oh yeah, and catching a big a$$ fish helps once in a while! If I had to limit myself to fishing good tides I'd rarely be able to fish.. take it when ya can get it! Maybe another time on the Denny's.. we'll be on the road!

Ivan, I'm glad I can at least make it for the day.. didn't think I'd even be able to make it! Just gonna be a day trip though, wish it could be for the week, but ya take it when you can get it! See ya there bro!

keciga1
06-04-2007, 09:37 PM
You're right about taking it when you can get it. All I know is that I'm fishing this weekend even if I have to swim out there with my pole in my hand. ;D

blue_chrush
06-04-2007, 09:45 PM
You're right about taking it when you can get it. All I know is that I'm fishing this weekend even if I have to swim out there with my pole in my hand. ;D

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif] [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

LTZOUT
06-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Like I told Ivan last night " Let's go fishing, I'm soooooooo ready to get some saltwater on the "Beast""!!!

The "Beast" will be in a slip @ Berkeley on Friday by 5:30pm. Stop by & say "HI".

Burt

ric1ric
06-05-2007, 07:04 AM
BC these are very informal get togethers, usally we hang out on friday night and meet all that make it friday and saturday after we fish we just kind of gather and eat. We have never had anyone cause any problems(knock on wood) and most times everyone turns in fairly early, and most get up early and fish.

CHICKFISHING58
06-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Not exacly sure how many they have but here's a map of the marina. When Zack spoke to them they said that they should have no problem providing us with births.
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8126/marinamapqt8.jpg"

Thanks I just reserved mine it's B13 I talked to Dave Shelly what a wonderful man and no :-X I did not say anything about the sniffer fest he even said that the showers are free yeah [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

LTZOUT
06-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Just got my slip also.
J-357

keciga1
06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Try on the other fest threads too. I'm sure someone has a seat for ya.

bassn
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Just reserved my slip as well. B-17.
The "Three Amigos" will see you there on Sat. Can't wait to hook into something other than a largemouth bass!!! ;D

PeteK
06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
ill be in B-21 slip not sure if ill make it down on friday morning or saturday now. wont know till thursday what im doing, waiting on a buddy to see if he is working or not. no matter what ill be there saturday morning and staying over night into sunday.

smithstation
06-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I dont think I will make it Saturday :'( :'( Have to take a mule to Winnamucca NV. to sale.

I was going to throw in with Zack but my plans changed. If I cant get a ride with Zack on Sun. anyone else have an open seat??

fishing brian
06-05-2007, 05:34 PM
BC these are very informal get togethers, usally we hang out on friday night and meet all that make it friday and saturday after we fish we just kind of gather and eat. We have never had anyone cause any problems(knock on wood) and most times everyone turns in fairly early, and most get up early and fish.

;D ;D ;D Ric1ric - If I recall correctly you were up a little later than most at the striper fest. I thought I could keep up with you guys but I woke up feeling a little under the weather. ouch!! *I won't be doing that this time. Good times, good food, and good people make these sniffer fests worth attending. -LUNKER-

ric1ric
06-05-2007, 07:54 PM
lunker i'm not copping to anything ;)

blue_chrush
06-05-2007, 09:42 PM

sounds awsome.......
I guess I'm use to fish events and such that have a schedule and
everyone knows when and where and such.....
I have missed at least 3 fest that I wanted to go to, the pyrimid one
and saw the pics and the way everyone was camped out and all
the boats were around, and I know berkeley isn't the sierras by
any long shot, but I was maybe expecting to much maybe...
I'm cool with the easy way, and hope that you guys understood
where I was comming from, I just thought it was going to be like
the salmon fest or pyrimid..... I good with this way.....thanks
hope to see everyone fri night and sat and looking forward to
taking some great pics and telling some better stories......

fernley_tim
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
see ya all friday guess ill get a slip, Tim

keciga1
06-05-2007, 10:15 PM
The city of Alameda woulnd't give me permission to overnite at Encinal so Berkeley will be the place. This weekend will be a blast. I really tried hard to find a place that has campsites but there just isn't a place anywhere near Berkeley. I know that we can make this work. My suggestion to everyone is if all possible get a slip ( call the marina in advance and reserve a berth, 50cents/ft up 28ft) so that this way you're guarranteed the stay. If you must absoluteley sleep in the parking lot, keep a low profile and fly under the radar. I think that most people that are coming can stay in a birth. Lets leave a good impresion and hopefully we can repeat every year.