PDA

View Full Version : Capitola Fishin

bassman408
10-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Went out to Capitola with some buddies this past weekend. Just caught bunch of rockfish and some jack smelt. Opted out on eating the jack smelt after reading up on it...lol. Not to worry, it won't be wasted, I will use it for bait later. It was tough fishing in the morning, but once we found the hot spots, we all nearly had limits on the boat in no time. Awesome weather too!

onebeerhudson
10-28-2011, 02:59 PM
My family and I took a walk on the Capitola wharf Monday night at sunset. There was a guy who had laid two beautiful white sea bass on the wharf that he just caught. I would estimate that they were four feet. He showed us a huge container of squid that he said he caught these fish on. He had so much squid he must have been chumming. He said that he caught them near the surface.

tuand01
10-30-2011, 04:41 AM
What's wrong w the Jack smelts?

bassman408
10-31-2011, 09:54 AM
just read that jack smelts aren't really worth the trouble to cook as they don't taste that good. also, some report that they can be "wormy", meaning it contains those weird looking worms inside. For those who clean fish often will know what I mean, not sure exactly what they're called but I have seen them occasionally in the fish I've caught.

4 Reels
11-02-2011, 11:30 AM
What's wrong w the Jack smelts?

They taste like Jack!