PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of the HB 586c HD?

FolsomFishing
10-12-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm in the market for my first FF and I got approval for about $3-400 from the boss. :) I'm not interested in GPS as I mostly fish lakes around the Sacramento area (Folsom, Camanche, etc..). I like to bass and trout fish, but I'm really just getting my feet wet in both. I have a 16' Wahoo and this thing will be mounted on the transom. Ive been looking with longing eyes at the DI models but convincing my wife I need to spend $549 on a HB 596c HD HI is a battle I'm not sure I want to wage. The 586 runs $349. Anyone have opinions of the one Im thinking about getting?

586c HD :: Marine Fishfinder :: Humminbird (http://store.humminbird.com/products/399599/586c_HDThanks)!

FolsomFishing
10-13-2011, 07:42 AM
I have a second question for anyone that has a FF with DI, is it really worth it? Does it only show a clear image of the bottom or does it show actual fish as well?

ReelJerks
10-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Treat yourself to the Lowrance MARK 5X PROhttp://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Mark-Elite-Series/

No color, but top notch for a 'gray scale' sonar unit and well within your price range.

Edd

AnglingWes
10-13-2011, 08:20 AM
+1 on the 5X Pro.

FolsomFishing
10-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the info, two recommendations is pretty good in my book. Im stuck on color after some articles I read. It seems like its a lot easier to read in color? Thoughts?

ReelJerks
10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Yes, absolutely COLOR is easier to read in bright sunlight. Your should then consider the Lowrance Elite-5X. Color sonar with transducer for about $450 at various stores.

Fishfinder | LOWRANCE Elite-5x (http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Marine/Mark-Elite-Series/Elite-5X/)

Edd

FolsomFishing
10-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks a lot for your feedback guys! Headed to a store to look at the Lowrance's.

AnglingWes
10-13-2011, 12:21 PM
As a bass fisherman, color is not as important because you are not specifically looking for fish on the screen, but mostly structure and depth contours. Color plays a much bigger role when trolling for suspended trout, kokes, or salmon.

Edd is really a great resource on electronics, so if he disagrees with me, then take his word first. :)

ReelJerks
10-13-2011, 12:46 PM
:exactly2pn: Wes is right. For us trollers, pinpointing the bait balls and suspended fish or pods is probably higher on our ladder. Color makes this task much easier when in bright daylight.

Edd

FolsomFishing
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Perfect! I do both (bass and trout) so color it is. Now the hard part.. getting the wife to agree to the 449 price tag :action-smiley-034:

SuperDave
10-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Before you buy any unit, make sure it has zoom and upper / lower range control settings. I am just starting to use a HB 787C as a second FF in the boat and have found it pretty easy to use so far. But the features I've mentioned are critical in my book.

ReelJerks
10-14-2011, 05:38 AM
Before you buy any unit, make sure it has zoom and upper / lower range control settings. I am just starting to use a HB 787C as a second FF in the boat and have found it pretty easy to use so far. But the features I've mentioned are critical in my book.

I agree with SD. The ZOOM feature (which the Elite has) is most important. The Elite series also is complete with the Alarms and Upper and Lower limit abilities, although I don't use it, I can certainly see it's importance.

Edd

FolsomFishing
10-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it! Hopefully I'll be landing more fish now