PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Trout recipe ??? Help

crestliner
10-13-2011, 06:38 AM
I am about to smoke some New Melones rainbows and Lake Tahoe macks in my Big Chief this weekend.
Does anyone have a good recipe and tips or can someone direct me to some good info.
I have a recipe I have used, but they seem to come out to dry etc.

Thanks!

Fishbucket
10-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Here's my recipe:

1c. Yoshedas Terriyki sauce
1c. water
(amount below depends on much you like of each... experiment)
Fresh crushed Garlic
Onion powder
Black pepper

Adjust the liquid amounts so that you have enough to cover all the fish for 12 hours.
no rinse, pat dry (if you like, pepper some more now), rack for an hour... smoke 3-4 pans in the beginning... then wait (8-12 hours) till finished... checking along the way.

Sometimes I filet the bigger ones and pull the pin bones, Sometimes I split the ribcage and lay open on racks, depends how I'm feeling. Sometimes I just toss the fish on whole and smoke 4-5 pans...

crestliner
10-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Thanks!

Sounds pretty good.
What are your go to chips?

Fishbucket
10-13-2011, 10:29 AM
I dont have a favorate, I think smoke is smoke, ( I cant tell a diffrence in taste, only smell) as long as it's from a hardwood.
I think I have 2 bags of Alder a Cherry and a bag of Maple... which ever is open and has the least amount is what I'll use.

You just reminded me to smoke some fish I have in the freeze this weekend.

thereefgeek
10-15-2011, 06:14 AM
I'm getting ready to smoke some salmon in the Big Cheif this morning.

I made up a brine last night and the fish has been soaking since 9 p.m.

1/2 cup non-iodized salt
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. fresh black pepper

disolve the powdered ingredients into 1 - 12 oz. Sierra Nevada Porter (or your favorite dark beer) in a large plastic or glass bowl, then pour over fish chunks and cover overnight (12 hours). Add another bottle of beer if you need more liquid.

Then, smoke same as fishbucket said, checking frequently so it doesn't get too dry.

Hof
10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
Be careful not to smoke them too long. That all depends on how thick your fish is. Also watch out for the salt content, I remember trying some recipes that would tell you add so much salt it would suck the blood right out your body. My go to wood is a mixture of Apple and Cherry and it always seems to taste better to me the day after you smoke it. Have fun with it and try new things!!

Hof

tonsofun
10-21-2011, 02:58 PM
So fishbucket. If you just crack the trout down the ribcage and lay them on the rack. You have to pull the meat off the bone when your done? Also how can you tell when its done. Never smoked before and used a brine I tried and I couldnt tell when it was done...

gfishes
11-20-2011, 03:59 PM
In 2 quarts water, combine......

1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup non iodized salt, 1/4 cup seasoned salt, brine overnite. Rinse and pat dry...brush on a coat of brown sugar, or molasses...sprinkle with lemon pepper...coat racks with PAM...SMOKE

dr.fish
11-29-2011, 03:26 PM
I have been using a dry brine for the last few years and love it.

4 cups dark brown suger
2 cups non-iodized salt
6 cloves crushed garlic

Mix all together. Cover the fish with the mixture and place in a non-reactive bowl and refrigerate overnight. Briefly wash off brine the next AM and allow pellicle to form. Then smoke as usual. Forms a nice sweet crust when smoked and keeps the fish moist.

Fishbucket
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
sounds intresting..

do you keep the fish flat single layer, or stack in a heap?

trollingplate
12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Tomorrow I am smoking trout from Hume Lake ( keep THAT a secret) and Pinecrest. Thawing them
this evening and till morning. Should I then do a one hour brine before placing on the smoker ( charcoal smoker).
?? Also...how do you get the fish to be like the "smoked salmon" you buy in the stores from Alaska..

( I know, catch some Salmon) ... it is so moist. I DO NOT want dried out fish meat.. how do you smoke
it yet retain moisture...

Steve079
12-04-2011, 08:32 PM
I don't thin you can make trout come out like salmon, salmon has so much more oil in it, but this is what I do. I soak the trout in Yoshida's Teriaki sauce for 24-48 hours. Sprinkle it with red pepper flake and what ever other seasonings you like, then smoke it until the edge's just start to curl, with apple wood. I don't smoke it to jerky like consistency, but you can if you want. Eat it fresh out of the smoker or vacuum bag it for long storage.
This is a great way to make planter trout edible. You can smoke the smaller trout without the heads or fins, then can them. The canning intensifies the flavors and makes the bones soft and edible. I still try and remove as much of the backbone as I can after the smoking, but any you miss will not be a problem.

BeefCakeScout
12-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Tomorrow I am smoking trout from Hume Lake ( keep THAT a secret) and Pinecrest. Thawing them
this evening and till morning. Should I then do a one hour brine before placing on the smoker ( charcoal smoker).
?? Also...how do you get the fish to be like the "smoked salmon" you buy in the stores from Alaska..

( I know, catch some Salmon) ... it is so moist. I DO NOT want dried out fish meat.. how do you smoke
it yet retain moisture...
I have never had really moist smoked fish. Are you perhaps thinking of LOX? Has a raw texture but still smokey.

CATKILLER
12-27-2011, 06:27 PM
BRINE

1 tsp garic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp allspice
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup corse salt (sea salt)
2 T lemon juice
1 liter cold water
1/2 cup apple juice

RUB

1/2 T garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 T coriander
1 T chili pepper
1/2 T salt
1 tsp cumin
1 T paprika
1/2 T oregano

Brine for 4 hours in frig. remove and rinse off fillets and place on paper towels and pat dry.
let fillets dry in room temp. for 2 to 3 hours (should be nice and shiney)
springkl rub on fillets and rub in.
Spray grill rack with Pam to keep from sticking. Smoke with cherry wood or apple, alder for
4 hours,Spraying lemon juice in the fillets every hour.
AND HOT DAMM IT'S TIME TO EAT

On the brine i double it and add 1 hole box of brown sugar and with the rub
i times by 6 to have more for the next time.

Makes about 20 fillets
You can go to youtub to see how to fillet the trout
Good Luck
I just posted this on a diffrent thread, this recipe come's out nice an moist if your trout are good size.
you can give it more heat the last hr.(180 temp.) and take off 1 hr smokeing time.