PDA

View Full Version : a darn good guide?

sehoner
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
hey guys, im trying to set up a charter boat trip for myself and my father and brother in-law. i havent decided if i want to do a salmon or a rockfish trip. i am looking for a good guide for either.

i want a guide that if the bite is not happening, he will know how to make it happen. i know that the bite can be on or off and any given trip can be good or bad, but if im gonna pay money to somebody to take me fishing, i expect to catch.........the majority of the trip.

any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks guys.

Know_Excuses
05-29-2007, 04:59 PM
You looking for a 6pack or a larger charter.I prefer 6packs myself.I hate crowds and you get a ton of room to fish and less tangles. ;D

sehoner
05-29-2007, 05:15 PM
prally a six pack. some of the boats ive been looking at are like..."$65.00 for the first 20, then $50.00 until we reach 45 people!!"

thats way too many people for me. im thinkin a dozen or less. no more than that.

i dont want to go out on a "party boat" i just want to go out with a guide that really knows their stuff and not be cramped while im fishing.

is that too much to ask?

gmdcdvm
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
It might be a little to much to ask. Most of the local boats are either 20-25 people or 6 packs (out of either Emeryville and Berkeley). I think Emeryville has the Rapid Transit which is a little smaller than their other boats and holds about 15 people. You should given them a call and find out what they have for you 510 654 6040.
As for the actual fishing...if you really want to catch fish then I recommend a rock fish trip. So far this year samon has been real hit or miss, bay trips for halibut and striped bass have also been hit or miss. Rock fish trips are almost always a guaranteed 10 fish limit +/- a few lings. Just depends on how bad you want to catch fish and what fish you want to come home with.

As for "guides"... most of the saltwater boats are open load/charter boats with a captain and crew. I guess the captain would be your "guide". I fish from Emeryville and Berkeley a lot, and those guys are always trying to put you on fish. Its to there advantage to have high fish counts to encourage peopel to come out. So I don't think you have to worry to much about them not making the effort to find the fish.
Gerry

CPTN_JACK
05-31-2007, 09:41 AM
CAPT J, LOPES,, ( RIGHTHOOK SPORTFISHING) Top gear,, 25ft Parker,, Beginers wellcome,, 1st cabin trips!!

916-417-5670 or www.RIGHTHOOKSPORTFISHING.com

j wil hook u up!! CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]

Know_Excuses
05-31-2007, 06:47 PM
And call way in advance.These guys book up fast.

iwishtobe
05-31-2007, 06:56 PM
i second, right hook sport fishing.

captian j, is good people.

and he DID take alan out fishing!

mike22ca
05-31-2007, 11:39 PM
CAPT J, LOPES,, ( RIGHTHOOK SPORTFISHING) *Top gear,, 25ft Parker,, Beginers wellcome,, 1st cabin trips!! *

* * 916-417-5670 *or www.RIGHTHOOKSPORTFISHING.com

j wil hook u up!! *CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]

This woulda been my suggestion too

sehoner
06-01-2007, 06:54 AM
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i checked out right hooks page and he seems to be primarily a sturgeon guy. i did see a few pics of salmon and one or two of halibut, but i didnt see any rockfish pics or a rockfish trip option.

so let me ask, those of you that have fished on his boat, what did you fish for?

mike22ca
06-01-2007, 08:07 AM
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i checked out right hooks page and he seems to be primarily a sturgeon guy. i did see a few pics of salmon and one or two of halibut, but i didnt see any rockfish pics or a rockfish trip option.

so let me ask, those of you that have fished on his boat, what did you fish for?

J does it all, sturg, hali/striper, salmon, rocks & lings, tuna... EVERYTHING.

His specialties are Sturg and Halibut tho ;)

Call him @ 916-417-5670 and tell him Mike sent ya. He books pretty quick too, so the easiest thing is just to call.