PDA

View Full Version : Lake Davis Saturday

pointemdown
10-15-2011, 06:41 PM
Launched boat at 0930 and trolled until 1230. Landed fourteen nice fat Davis rainbows (they look like the Sunday paper), and we released them all. Wife and I had three poles, a leadcore with a gold and red speedy shiner at four colors, and two rods on the downriggers at 25ft. with seps silver dodgers and nightcrawlers. We had a triple hookup at one point; it was a fire drill getting them in. Trolled in front of the launch at 2MPH in 50ft of water. Best trip of our season. Highly sugggest Davis instead of Almanor if you are heading that way. All the trout were fat and healthy, good fighters, and no parasites (if that is a concern).7200

H-man
10-16-2011, 07:50 AM
... We had a triple hookup at one point; it was a fire drill getting them in. 7200

A triple with three poles and two people, excellent!!!! What a great day, thanks for sharing.

JwG
10-16-2011, 08:09 AM
A triple with three poles and two people, excellent!!!! What a great day, thanks for sharing.

+1

Great picture!!http://www.fishsniffer.com/images/icons/icon6.png

Thanks for the post.

Joe_Local_Guy
10-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I took your advise and changed my plans and went to Davis instead of Almanor. I actually arrived a little later than I usually would, 9am. It was foggy on the lake but it burned off about the time I left the ramp.
I started off using the brown trolling fly with the wiggle fin in front on three colors of leadcore. On the other leadcore I put a nightcrawler with a wigglefin in front. I had my first hit on the fly but lost it at the boat. It was the biggest one I hooked all day. Then I caught 3 more on the fly.
No love for the nightcrawler. Then I put a nightcrawler behind a watermelon dodger. Again no luck. I saw some other guys that seemed to be catching fish and I could see some flashers. By this time the fly wasn't producing either.
So I put silver bolo flashers with a nightcrawler on the downrigger at 25 feet.
And I put bronze flashers on the leadcore at three colors.
About three minutes later I had a double hookup. I managed to get them both in.
It was flat calm when I got there, but about ten o'clock a south wind started to pick up and stayed steady at 10mph. It made handling the boat a bit more difficult.
The fish were between 13 and 17 inches. I found one that looked to be recovering from skin disease and it probably wouldn't be noticeable in another week. I have them in the fridge brineing for the smoker tomorrow.
Thanks for the report. Davis is back!

Big Game
10-17-2011, 08:01 PM
This time of year, try a Cinnamon Colored Wolley Bugger with (1) medium sized split shot during the day, and take it off after about 4:00. You shouldn't have to go down too deep - it's gettin chilly. Try the West side and remember that the fingers get REAL shallow -you will see the points gradually ascending into the Lake. Also, after 4:00 "Work" your Bugger Back and forth and be ready for a strike at the furthermost back point of your stroke. And...Hang On!

Big Game

Joe_Local_Guy
10-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Today's report. Friday
They are still biting Caught 4 average of 16 inches.
I had #5 up to the boat 4 different times and they shook off. Oh well, Still had a nice day. Lake was flat calm.
I forgot to mention that the Air Force or Navy had jets flying low over the lake. They were screaming!
Fallon or Beale? They were gray in color and had no lettering. When you heard them you needed to look forward to the sound to see them. Glad to know that they are on our side!
JLG

Rastaman
10-29-2011, 04:27 PM
I will be going up on Wednesday thanks for the tips. Last year heard this jet roar looked up and there was an Air Force plane, he made a huge circle and flew over again, awesome thrill.

Joe_Local_Guy
10-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Sunday. Started at 9:15 ended at 11:45. Variety of stuff worked, Trolling flies, Flashers with worms, and dick nite copper orange. all around 15 feet.

Joe_Local_Guy
11-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I took my brother out this morning. I haven't fished with him in 30 years. We arrived at 9am and the temp was 32 degrees with a 4 mph breeze out of the south.
It didn't take long to catch our first fish. My brother was letting line out on a trolling fly with a split shot and got hooked up right away.
Then it was a steady pick the rest of the morning. We finished up just before noon with our limits. They are in the brine and will be in the smoker tomorrow morning.
We are having a family sausage making party. 200 pounds worth. all different kinds. FAMILY FUN!