PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try Sugar Pine lately?

great49er
10-22-2011, 04:07 PM
The fish never seemed to bite there this spring. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet this Fall and if so whether there was any action?

Thanks

ioski65
10-23-2011, 06:55 PM
The fish never seemed to bite there this spring. I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet this Fall and if so whether there was any action?

Thanks

We tried there this past weekend on Saturday. We got there around 11am or so, there were plenty of folks fishing... probably six boats. For late October, I thought this was a plenty.... Also, plenty of shore fisherman, lake circuit hikers, etc...

Anyhow, caught our limits of fish trolling in the first twenty feet or less and also when a school was located; casting out spinners, etc... There was a fish planting earlier in the week. The fish seemed to be a bit larger planters, maybe end of the season penstock clearing.

There were more than a few trout rising at times, probably trying to catch dragonflies, etc... It would have been fun for some dry fly action, but didn't bring the fly rod. At those times, casting with spinners worked until they got wise for a bit.

The water definitely lower than the peak in Spring. The "island" in the back by the inlet, you can walk to from the shore. The surface temperature was around 64 degrees. The winds were light and it was sunny. A great day at Sugar Pine for sure. Sorry, no pics. Smoked most of the trout today and ate a few foil wrapped tonight for dinner!

Earlier in the spring and summer, we didn't do as well as last weekend, but we always managed at least a couple of trout.