PDA

View Full Version : did you hear!!

seaurchint
10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
man was shot killed while hiking by a guy who thought it was a bear!! what is wrong with some people, in california he would be charged with murder and failing to properly Idenifiy what he was shoting. the story said the guy had a black coat on and was hiking when the man who was 67 years old had shot and killed him. make sure you wear your orange vest and hat !! stay safe!!:bananatiedie:

CRABBY
10-24-2011, 02:10 PM
man was shot killed while hiking by a guy who thought it was a bear!! what is wrong with some people, in california he would be charged with murder and failing to properly Idenifiy what he was shoting. the story said the guy had a black coat on and was hiking when the man who was 67 years old had shot and killed him. make sure you wear your orange vest and hat !! stay safe!!:bananatiedie:

This happened in Oregon an while it is a sad situation the shooter whether there or here will probably go free.AS you said,WEAR YOUR ORANGE VEST AN OR HAT ,many hunting accidents can be prevented by following a few simple rules....Don

AnglingWes
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
WEAR YOUR ORANGE VEST AN OR HAT ,many hunting accidents can be prevented by following a few simple rules....Don

Ask Dick Cheney about that.

CRABBY
10-24-2011, 02:23 PM

Your bad Wes,LOL:guns::guns:.....Don

Reel Fun
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I wonder if at 67 yrs old his eyesight is good enough to carry a gun in the woods? I know as for older drivers who have eye problems they sometimes forbid nighttime driving or other restrictions and have them tested often to ensure they have good enough eyesight to drive? In this case he may feel so bad to retire from hunting? I wouldn't blame him if he did.....but I wonder if DFG should check drivers licenses for eyesight problems to try and prevent accidents like this? Assuming his eyesight had something to do with it? Very sad deal all around!!!

RF

FishWisher
10-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Actually, ask the guys who hunted with Dick Cheney about that! :jamesbond6qt:

GUSANO
10-25-2011, 08:38 AM
poor guy... wear your orange. I try, but not always. When I hike in I wear my orange hat. And once I find a spot to blend in and sit for a few hours I itake the hat off and put on my camo hat. I at least tie a orange flag a few feet above me on a tree or bush just to give some sign someone is there. But I still worry. Also, do your best not to go alone. Again one of my down sides. I try not too but everyone I've taken with me wether hunter or non hunter can't keep up with me, even when I slow down. So more often than not I go out alone so I can tread into more remote areas. Do your best to talk to other hunters if you run into them when you are out and just give them some sense off direction of where you intend to be. Be safe out there. Even when fishing.
~

Big Game
10-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Holy #$%^

Here's an idea - identify your target! Is it a Bear? Is it a LEGAL Bear. Is it a Buck? Is it a LEGAL Buck?
Come on people, be accountable for YOUR actions! Were not talking about a traffic citation here - you can really kill somebody if you are careless. Is your panic shot worth the risk of harming another?

I know and abide by MY code - if you can't safely and swiftly identify your prey and don't have a clean, safe shot -
then pass and hope that you get another - it's not worth the risk.

And yes, I have passed on many a deer and Pheasant that was legal - for a variety of reasons.

Be Safe.

Big Game

Reel Fun
10-26-2011, 06:19 AM
My point is......maybe his eyesight is not good enough to clearly identify his target? I have never heard of DFG checking eyesight for older hunters? I know DMV does.....and the reason is because poor eyesight can lead to a deadly accident! The same rule should apply to a guy shooting a high powered rifle!!

Reel Fun

GUSANO
10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
The ethical shot was highly stressed at my hunter ed course. And it was a panic shot that took the life of a hunter last fall at sonoma marsh wild life area.
Great point B-G!
~

Reel Fun
10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
My hunter ed class was probally done at the same time in my life as this guys? At the ripe age of 15......in this guys case that was over 50 years ago!! At my age I am starting to loose eyesight a bit....and I am much younger than this guy! The question comes down to if this guy's eyesight at 67 is good enough to see/identify his target clearly? And it might be good enough? I still believe there is a possibility its not? And it brings to mind the question....Should DFG have eyesight checks after a certain age like DMV does? And if its asked of me....I say YES please do it! Hunter orange helps nobody if the shooter is color blind? I know every year people get shot or shot at because someone thinks they are a deer/bear etc....And nothing can be done about that because all the training in the world cant help "buck fever" for some people?

RF

CRABBY
10-26-2011, 02:12 PM
poor guy... wear your orange. I try, but not always. When I hike in I wear my orange hat. And once I find a spot to blend in and sit for a few hours I itake the hat off and put on my camo hat. I at least tie a orange flag a few feet above me on a tree or bush just to give some sign someone is there. But I still worry. Also, do your best not to go alone. Again one of my down sides. I try not too but everyone I've taken with me wether hunter or non hunter can't keep up with me, even when I slow down. So more often than not I go out alone so I can tread into more remote areas. Do your best to talk to other hunters if you run into them when you are out and just give them some sense off direction of where you intend to be. Be safe out there. Even when fishing.
~

Gusano you need to take Jfitalia with you,he is our iron man champ,not sure if he hunts but he would be great company an could definitely keep up....Don

GUSANO
10-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Don,
Sounds like he's up for the steep hikes, as long as he's not skittish about blood and guts?
Jfitalia, if you're reading, I'm not dissin. But if you hunt, I wouldn't mind a good hiking/hunting partner for next years deer season.
~

bretmoua
10-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Here's the link for the story guys. It's unfortunate this had to happen. It was an accident that should have been prevented. Going through the hunter's safety course, correctly identifying your target before pulling the trigger, was one of the first thing they taught us. Let this be a lesson learned and lets all be safe out there for many more years to come my fellow hunters.

Sheriff: Hiker mistakenly shot by bear hunter - US news - Life - msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44999592/ns/us_news-life/)

Cal.Kellogg
10-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Wear that orange...I was hunting this week and I could see guys with orange on at well over a mile...I was surprised that it stood out that well...I was impressed and yes I either had my orange on or had my vest spread out next to me on my stand....Always identify your target and what is beyond it...I took hunters safety when I turned 12 and that is one rule I always have remembered....Others include alway know where your muzzle is pointed and keep it in a safe direction. When crossing a fence or other obstacle always unload.....

Hunters safety courses are great, the info sticks with you and I take my hat off to all the instructors out there that work to make the woods safer!!! Good work guys!!!!!