PDA

View Full Version : Looking to start Hunting

Chapulin5151
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Where do I begin? I am completely green to this, but wanted to get into before. Never really had the time or money. I got a little extra of both now. Any information would be great.

hanahou7
10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
You need to register for the Hunters Safety Course. You can do this by finding classes in your area by going to the DFG website.

Fishbucket
10-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes, Start with a Hunters Safety course.

Decide what you want to hunt for and where, read the DFG regs. some things like Quail and Hogs, the DFG has put out some good info booklets with alot of information.

Do you have any buddys that hunt now?
you can just ride with them to see how it all goes down.

Do to have a Gun? do you shoot much?

Beendare
10-31-2011, 07:57 PM
Wow, so many different forms of hunting. I can tell you its not much different than fishing in lots of ways;

10% of hunters kill 90% of the game

You need to know the animals habits then factor in that it will change according to hunter pressure

Just hiking through the woods with a bow/gun is basically hiking not hunting

Sometimes the best strategy is to get in a good spot and wait

But then sometimes bowhunting elk, you need to cover 10 canyons to find the one they are in

Usually, leaving camp before light and returning after dark gives you the best odds

Ca is a tough state to hunt on public ground for many Big game species- good for Bears though

Best of luck....

Big Game
11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Plan on spending a good part of the weekend at the Sac Sports Expo in January - you will find information that will be invaluable to you for the years to come. I mean, REALLY plan on being there all weekend - it's HUGE.

I was lucky and had a Dad and his friends that taught me the Code of the West and Hunting / Fishing from the ground up.

It takes a while to learn everything you will need to know, so have small goals at first and expand as you feel comfortable.

Best of Luck, and BE SAFE - Big Game