PDA

View Full Version : Dungie Opener....

littledude
11-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey just wanted to see who's going to roll the dice and go out this weekend for dungies. Weather and swells keep bouncing around so wanted to see who's going. If all works out, I'm planning on going out of Bodega.

Littledude

nayr
11-02-2011, 02:52 PM
I am aiming for tomales.... 12ft boat... but I guess it all depends on what the wind decides to do this weekend.

littledude
11-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Yea I might be heading there too if swells pick up anymore.

striperking13
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Hey all Sniffer's, is a 3.9 feet change from high to low tide good for crabbing? That's what it looks like for the opener in Bodega bay. Just checking to see if the rings are gonna get tossed around in the water. Thanks. FISH ON

littledude
11-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey all Sniffer's, is a 3.9 feet change from high to low tide good for crabbing? That's what it looks like for the opener in Bodega bay. Just checking to see if the rings are gonna get tossed around in the water. Thanks. FISH ON
Striperking, any movement of tide is good for crab as long as it isn't super fast like a minus tide. Personally speaking, I do good on tides that have some movement to them but not on minus tides. On minus tides I usually work my gear more at the beginning and ends when it is slower. No expert by any means but that my two cents worth.

Littledude

mana_kai
11-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Commercial crab season starts 11/15, so 10+ good days for private and partyboat trips. I was looking at partyboat combo trips, and the first 2 weekends are filling up already.

nayr
11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Weather at tomales looks easy for saturday, so as long as the current forecast holds true i'll be there.
anyone know what time the launch ramp at nicks opens?

starcraft69
11-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Striperking, any movement of tide is good for crab as long as it isn't super fast like a minus tide. Personally speaking, I do good on tides that have some movement to them but not on minus tides. On minus tides I usually work my gear more at the beginning and ends when it is slower. No expert by any means but that my two cents worth.

Littledude

This is so true

starcraft69
11-04-2011, 03:56 PM
I think im going to load the kayak and go just for the day. Drop a few cages and hoop nets and bob around for the day. I have hit every opening day this year for what I hunt and fish for might as well keep it going. See you guys out there I will be just out from the jetty tip at bodega on my tandem. Fish On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gone_hooken
11-04-2011, 07:28 PM
OUCH OUCH OUCH
I was reading this not good news for commercial guys>>>>>>A close friend and commercial buyer called in to say that survey tests this week are showing just a 20% meat to weight ratio off the Golden Gate. Last week, tests off Ft Bragg indicated an extremely low test ratio of just 15-17%. Commercial buyers and DFG are looking for a minimum of 24-25% (where as 28% is on the upper end of the scale) before they want to open the commercial season. More than likely the commercial season will be delayed until crabs hit at least 24% which could delay the commercial opener until December 1st.

nayr
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
well i will be out at tomales tomorrow in my green/grey gregor with mercury 9.9.. say whats up up if you see me.. good luck to everyone out there tomorrow

littledude
11-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Well we r running bodega tomorrow so if u a 21' arima say hi. Good luck to all and be safe.

Here's to full pot tomorrow! !
Littledude

nayr
11-05-2011, 06:16 PM
After patiently waiting our turn to launch at Tomales we dropped our first pot around 8 am. We then anchored up and worked some crab snares. Ended the day at 1 pm with 15 dungeness and 3 or 4 reds. Popped 5 or 6 dungnies with the crab snares, everything else came from the two pots we dropped. Fun day, glad we were at the launch before parking became an issue.

sPooOOk
11-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Well guys we had limits on the Happy Hooker yesterday for everyone yesterday. We were averaging about 15-20 a pot. Great day out there so go get them.

littledude
11-06-2011, 10:46 AM
After getting through the mad house st the ramp we drop all pots. After we dropped the 6th I had to take a buddy back before he fed the fish. After dropping him off we tried for rockcod but nothing. Went back to dock and picked up buddy. Pulled 3 pots for limits plus. Rail dumped other 3 for next time.

striperking13
11-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Damn, we regret not taking the boat now after hearing all these positive reports. The jetties where epic fail for us. We were there around 7am and just couldnt get any dungies. A few reds and rock, the water was just moving to fast from all the boat traffic and tide. Rings couldnt hold the bottom. Didnt leave till like 4pm, around 3, it started to rain dogs and cats. We finally decided to call it quits after being cold and soak in rain. No more jetties for us, bringing the boat and traps, selling all my crab rings lolz. to much work for them rings. Glad u guys did good. Going back out soon when the weather is nice. FISH ON...

Surfcaster1
11-06-2011, 10:11 PM
Opening Day at Lawsons Landing launched with help of the tractor Launch. No four whell drive 6th in line. Great crab action 5 in the Lund Boat trading off pulling the traps 47 fat crabs all full no softies my brother got one Diving from the beach. other wise the place was a mad House.

gone_hooken
11-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Well its 4am Saturday here we go to pull the boat out of my brothers garage hooked up..now on to check all the light and bam no tail lights just one brake light try everything in the books to get them to work...its now 5am still trying to figure out what has went wrong...well after all get a light tester and man oh man buddys truck wire plug has no power lol lol...twittle the thumbs twittle the thumbs ready to go but now with no trailer lights....well heck after all that we say lets take a chance got there safe found one dang parking there at tamales bay. 8am first pot dropped few hours soaked as we had two pots and dropping the snares also.what a great day it turned into and fun after all here are a few pictures.

http://i42.tinypic.com/59zs6x.jpg

http://i44.tinypic.com/9uqdj7.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/2zt9ea8.jpg

4 Reels
11-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Went out Mon 7th out of Bodega, had some good swells and got rough at the end of the day but got our limits and cherry picked just the large ones. All were minimum 8" wide and some larger. The size is better than last year and were all males.

CRABBY
11-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Nice Pics Gone Hooken,good catch,ya ever fix the lights???LOL....Don

gone_hooken
11-08-2011, 10:05 AM
my buddy has to buy a new wiring harness for the plug something is messed up but rather replace new then go through somebody else mess.

EarlyFish
11-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Can somebody refresh me on the regulation on crabbing? I really dont want to get into any trouble due to ignorance. What is the size and bag limit on dungie crab? and how about the size and bag limit on the red crab? Thanks in advance.

bassman408
11-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Can somebody refresh me on the regulation on crabbing? I really dont want to get into any trouble due to ignorance. What is the size and bag limit on dungie crab? and how about the size and bag limit on the red crab? Thanks in advance.

Dungies - size limit 5.75", 10 bag limit

Rock Crab - size limit 4", 35 bag limit (according to DFG website)