PDA

View Full Version : Radar

Theb55
11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
For years I have been using a Lowrance chart/plotter with the Navionics map. I was thinking of picking up a radar for my new boat and thought their unit with the overlay unit would be good, after seeing it operate. The salesman, who knows his stuff, tried to talk me out of it. He also recommended Hummingbird over Lowrance. Suggestions from those who know.

jerdh71
11-16-2011, 12:59 PM
I dont know but maybe check the board for electronics

Seon
11-16-2011, 03:24 PM
I have a Lowrance LCX113c HD and was thinking of adding a radar to it. It was recommended that I get a Garmin stand alone just in case the LCX goes out. I'm currently comparing different brands...Furuno, Garmin, Raymarine, etc. So much to choose from. I just want a basic 16 nm radius unit, not interested what's further out than that :lolk:.

AngelosPop
11-17-2011, 09:04 PM
In the 90's I used to install electronics left and right for a local dealer. I haven't done to many installs lately, but Furuno was my favorite radar. Raytheon, now Raymarine was ok. I liked Furuno cause they were in San Francisco. To send a unit back was easy. Raytheon's tech support was ok, not great. Simrad was also bullet proof for their Autopilots as well as depth & speed sounders. I like Simrad.

But back in the 90's interfacing units could be a challenge as everything operated off NMEA 183 (still does), and sometimes getting different brands to talk with one another could be a challenge. Now from the few I've delt with it's easier.

Now with all the "smart" stuff I'd think it's easier.

Kind of like buying a computer 10-15yrs ago there were good brands and bad ones. Now the playing field is more level and it's a matter of grabbing the "good" one off the shelf that doesn't fail in a week. If you know what I mean. Every company make a junk unit now and again.

Garmin has grown leaps and bounds from where they started. I like Garmin as well!

I'd bet that what ever radar you choose, it will give you good performance. I wouldn't listen to a salesman period!

If you look at what's on commercial ships and tugs, you'll see a bunch of different odd brands. Where years ago quite a bit of what I saw was Furuno.

Best thing you can do is google what your interested in and look at reviews. Make your choice from there. The playing field from all companies I would say has leveled out over the years.